Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
harajukuchic
harajukuchic began at the beginning.

Is anybody into asian films?

I've recently become into asian films, one of my friends from my internship at UMVD got me into them, she had me watch "purple butterfly" which i thought was great. also the performance by the main actress Zhang Ziyi was great, she is one of my favorite actresses now. I'm now looking forward to watching "Bright future" and "Dolls" those are the movies that have been recommended to me, and i've looked them up and they look like their going to be good movies. If your into these movies i would love to talk with you, and i recommend checking out palmpictures.com that's where i get alot of my info on these films and many more. hope to hear from somebody soon.
harajukuchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Good stuff

Ya, I've started to watch them lately. I picked up several from Amazon.com and diabolikdvd.com has some more obscure (or other region DVDs).

I started with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and moved from there.

Kung Fu Hustle was great.
Hero (the chinese version, not the U.S. version) was also very good.
Musa the Warrior was a little more gory than I usually like, but it was interesting.

Why are so many of these movies tragedies?

Other good ones were Undiscovered Tomb, The Duel, The Moon Warriors. I'll probably pick up House of Flying Daggers when it comes to DVD as well.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I recently watched the HK movie Infernal Affairs which was very cool. Highly recommended cops movie!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I love Asian Cinema! My favorite movie of all time (for now) is "Battle Royale." I like the different cultural sensibilities and I loathe it when some of these movies are badly dubbed, or worse, completely remade with lousy American actors. I hope that "Battle Royale" isn't remade with Ashton Kutcher and Hillary Duff and whatever other flavor-of-the-month "actors" are available.

I especially sought out "Ringu" instead of watching "The Ring" because I feel like it honors the artist's original intent and creative vision to watch the source material. Even though my GF ruined it by telling me the ending RIGHT BEFORE it happened, I still liked the movie.

In Chinese Cinema, I like "Wing Chun", "Dragon Inn", "Fire Dragon", "Drunken Master" series, and so forth. My GF's Chinese and there's this store at the local Asian mall where she rents her Chinese Romance novels that sells all kinds of Chinese movies and getting exposed to new titles is always cool.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
I live in Japan so I get to see most of them. If you have seen Juon and liked it the originals are better. Also Azumi is pretty good. the second one just came out in theaters here. Zatto ichi with beat takeshi was really good and his other movie brother was great. Actually all his movies are good. But actually Im not a big fan of asian movies because I think they are over dramatic along with the anime but some of them are good.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I liked "Ju-On" and there was no way in hell that I was going to watch "The Grudge." From the previews it looked like they used the same house and everything, how little originality.

I didn't like the Beat Takeshi "Zatoichi" as much as the originals. In the older ones, he isn't as violent, like the part where he cut the gambler's hand off in the old one's he might've hit the gambler's hand with the side of his sword and then cut the dice in mid-air to show that they were fake.

I agree that some of the movies are "unrealistic" where the story takes off in improbable directions, but that's what makes the good ones stand out from the bad. (Ex. "Battle Royale" excellent movie, "Battle Royale 2" absolutely horrible!!)

I can't believe that I left out the greatest samurai series of all time, "Lone Wolf and Cub". If you liked "Zatoichi", you'll love "Lone Wolf."
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
As for beat takeshi I dont know if you know but he is actually a comedian. I was supprised to find this out when I moved to japan. He was such a hard core bad azz in brother but when he is on tv everyday he dresses in a really degrading costume and wears that bowl cut hair style of one of the three stooges. I think zatoich really embodied japanese culture, humor, and alot of stuff that us westerners dont pick up unless you spend too much time in japan like me lol. I think that is what takeshi was going for, but he does have a violent streak in him. As for me I cant wait to see the grudge ( in japan it is called the juon lol) Like I said before I dont care much for japanese movies I think american remakes are always better but that is just my opinion. The japanse peoples jaws just drop when I say that. They dont think american movies are scarry at all. There is a new movie comming out here called kokkuri san. IT looks really scarry. You should try to see if you can get your hands on that.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
harajukuchic
harajukuchic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
I liked "Ju-On" and there was no way in hell that I was going to watch "The Grudge." From the previews it looked like they used the same house and everything, how little originality.

I didn't like the Beat Takeshi "Zatoichi" as much as the originals. In the older ones, he isn't as violent, like the part where he cut the gambler's hand off in the old one's he might've hit the gambler's hand with the side of his sword and then cut the dice in mid-air to show that they were fake.

I agree that some of the movies are "unrealistic" where the story takes off in improbable directions, but that's what makes the good ones stand out from the bad. (Ex. "Battle Royale" excellent movie, "Battle Royale 2" absolutely horrible!!)

I can't believe that I left out the greatest samurai series of all time, "Lone Wolf and Cub". If you liked "Zatoichi", you'll love "Lone Wolf."
POL9A
Well know you get to see the U.S. butcher Dark Water. I hate that they made the american version of ring 2 completely different from ringu 2. It didn't do it justice. Have you seen ichi the killer. I love battle royal

BTW- I got my hands on a copy of Bright Future. Incredible! It deals with murder, poisonous jellyfish, and young men facing their dull futures. I highly recommend it.
harajukuchic is offline   Reply With Quote