Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Question oddball "Yogh" Character not displayed

Reading a new side loaded book overhere and one of the characters isn't being displayed correctly regardless of the font settings. The character is yogh (some relic from old English - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh) and sort of looks like a stylized italic number "3". From ADE and Calibre's viewer the character is displayed correctly, however on either my Mini or Touch the character appears as a big outlined box, even using the default font setting.

Does Kobo's built in font set not cover all the characters? (Granted I doubt if this particular character gets much use at all)?
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope... Many of the Kobo fonts do not contain all characters.

Try using Ryumin or Gothic... I've had some success with those.

I've been raising the point that not even fractions seem to be recognized in all the fonts.

Amasis: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a rectangle with a x inside
Avenir Next: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a rectangle with a question mark inside
Caecilia: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a rectangle with a question mark inside
Georgia: 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, rest are a square
Gil Sans: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a square
Kobo Nickel: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a square
Malabar: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are a rectangle with a x inside
Gothic: 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 2/3, 3/4, 7/8 - Correct
Ryumin: 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 2/3, 3/4, 7/8 - Correct
OpenDyslexic: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, rest are an empty rectangle with a thick bottom line

You could also try using the Kobo Extended driver and converting this to a kEpub. The kEpub renderer handles missing symbols differently, and displays them from one of the other fonts (Ryumin I think).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You could also try using the Kobo Extended driver and converting this to a kEpub. The kEpub renderer handles missing symbols differently, and displays them from one of the other fonts (Ryumin I think).
It always bugged me why my Sonys displayed missing fonts in epubs even with the same fonts and the Kobo can't. Sony must do for epubs what Kobo does for kepubs. Thanks for that bit of knowledge.

It's a shame though that Kobo can't do the same for epubs.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
Reading a new side loaded book overhere and one of the characters isn't being displayed correctly regardless of the font settings. The character is yogh (some relic from old English - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh) and sort of looks like a stylized italic number "3". From ADE and Calibre's viewer the character is displayed correctly, however on either my Mini or Touch the character appears as a big outlined box, even using the default font setting.

Does Kobo's built in font set not cover all the characters? (Granted I doubt if this particular character gets much use at all)?
The built in fonts have rather poor coverage for non-standard characters. If you want better coverage, I'd suggest either Charis SIL, Linux Libertine or DejaVu Serif. There are other choices as well if you want even more unicode glyph coverage. Code2000 is the font I use for those situations.

See the modified fonts sticky for more information.

I did some quick testing. None of the Kobo's builtin fonts would display yogh though Gothic and Ryumin would display a lower case ezh. Both Charis SIL and Linux Libertine displayed yogh and ezh as did the DejaVu font family. Code2000 displayed both as well but sadly, it's not the best looking font and lacks the italic/bold/bold italic variants.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-30-2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Ok thanks for the feedback and possible solutions, I will have try loading up alternate fonts.

I ran into this sort of issue once before with a certain Vietnamese version of the letter e with double set of diacritical marks, in that case using “default” for the page font made the character visible, unfortunately this didn’t work.

I wonder if its possible for Kobo to include a sort of fallback font set, which gets used only if the selected font lacks the required character; wishful thinking perhaps.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert