Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
adamant
adamant began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking for a very small pocket size reader that i can take to work

i am looking for a small reader that i can take on the job with me. small pocket size.. can u recommend one?
thank you
adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Try to get a Sony 350. Sony doesn't sell it but you can find at eBay. I think it's the smallest one with eink screen (one of my coworkers says that he can carry it in a pocket -coat, of course- without problems) and I carry it around in no big bags.

If you want something that the manufacturer still sells, I would go to Cybook Opus or Pocketbook 360+.

All of them are 5" screen, any 6" screen is too much big for what you want (I think that, that's the reason I always carry around my Sony).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I have a Nook STR and it fits in my pocket. I tend to carry it around with me a lot and it fits in a cargo pocket or the front pocket of my hoodie. I used to have a Kobo touch and it would also fit easily in my pocket.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Sonystyle store has a refurbished 350 on sale. I think this is the last day (Dec 24). It says $152.99 but it is actually $79.99 at check out before tax. Free shipping I love my 350 & it goes everywhere with me.

Last edited by Pomtroll; 12-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed; the 350 is an excellent little reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Check out the pocketbook 360(+)

It is small, the size of a cd case, and has a built in cover that clips on the front that also clips to the back when reading.

Ive had mine, base PB360, for almost 2 years and love it.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The 360 is a nice reader, but be aware that it uses the older eink screen, while the Sony 350 uses the Pearl eink. I have both, but the Sony 350 is lighter, more narrow, easier to carry around, and has the superior screen. I find that I never use my 360 now.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How about a SmartPhone with 4 in screen.

CVS has a tiny 4 in Craig Tablet for $79.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-24-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree the PRS-350 is nice for a small eink reader (and with PRS+ on it, you can play chess or Sudoku, too!)
If eink (and low price) is not a requirement, you might consider an iPod Touch. My wife swears by hers for reading, listening, web browsing, Angry Birds.....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If eink (and low price) is not a requirement, you might consider an iPod Touch. My wife swears by hers for reading, listening, web browsing, Angry Birds.....
The iPod Touch is good, but it has a rather poor battery life. That's a real issue for a reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love the form factor of my 360 but I found that I like the Pearl Screen on my other devices better. I traded my 360 for the current $50 promotion credit towards a Sony T1. With the Sony cover with light, it is my now favorite reader (over the Kindle keyboard).
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Check out the Samsung Galaxy 5 or 4 media player.
I have recently purchased the 5 to use as a reader and internet type device and it works great as a reader.
I'm using Mantano, free version, and it too works great.
It is light weight and easily fits in your pants pocket, shirt pocket, etc.
As an added bonus it makes for a fine wifi based internet device and there are tons of apps available.

The Sony T1 is also a very nice ereader. It is an eink device and is very light weight and should fit in the pocket of most slacks. It too has a wifi component but the eink format makes it less enjoyable as an internet device.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I appreciate the recommendations for the 350 in this thread. Found a new one on ebay for $69.99 (including shipping) and it should be arriving today.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How about a SmartPhone with 4 in screen.

CVS has a tiny 4 in Craig Tablet for $79.
Any android smartphone outfitted with Aldiko makes a nice pocket sized eReader.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote