Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Black Line Around K4 Screen

Been a Kindle owner since version 2 and currenlty own a K3 graphite - I'm definitely on board with the e-reader thing... Recently I saw a K4 and man, is that a sexy little beast!

One thing I noticed is that the black line around the screen was really distracting. It's like my eyes always wanted to drift to that dark black outline rather than the text on the screen.

How do K4 owners feel about this. Is it something you have learned to live with or do you not even notice it after a few days? I was ready to grab a new Kindle but now I'm wondering if I should hang on to my K3 graphite until a graphite version of the K4 comes out (if ever).

Just wondering - is that dark black line distracting for you?

G
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
If you are refering to the black outlining on the bezel of the frame, I don't notice it all while reading (on a Kindle Touch). I find it enhances the contrast between the display and casing -- a nice touch.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Isnt the black line the ir emitter for the touch screen?
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
grownupboy
Enthusiast

ya, it is the ir. but on the standard kindle it's just there as a design element. i find it really distracting personally - but then again.. after using a white k2 for a year before i got the graphite k3 i found the graphite distracting at first too.

probably something that will just disappear after a few weeks...

still interested to hear what other users who have had k4's for a bit feel about this!
g
Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
No it's not a design element. It's to keep all the hair, dirt and dust out of the screen edges. the K3 has issues with the glue of the screen coming undone because of dust, dirt and hair can get into that area. It's impossible to clean.

The black strip on the K4 fixes that problem. Not to mention it is needed for perception in contrast with a grey bezel.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No it's not a design element. It's to keep all the hair, dirt and dust out of the screen edges. the K3 has issues with the glue of the screen coming undone because of dust, dirt and hair can get into that area. It's impossible to clean.

The black strip on the K4 fixes that problem. Not to mention it is needed for perception in contrast with a grey bezel.
There is no black strip on the K4. It is the same material and color as the rest of the bezel. If you look at it at the correct angle, you will see that it is the same shade of gray. If you look at the rest of the bezel at the correct angle, it will look just as black.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is no black strip on the K4. It is the same material and color as the rest of the bezel. If you look at it at the correct angle, you will see that it is the same shade of gray. If you look at the rest of the bezel at the correct angle, it will look just as black.
I know that but I wanted to point out it was there for a reason. My Bezel never looks black no matter what angle It's grey to dark grey depending on the angle but the strip around the screen is black unless I hold it up to a light then it's the same color as the bezel.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
Been a Kindle owner since version 2 and currenlty own a K3 graphite - I'm definitely on board with the e-reader thing... Recently I saw a K4 and man, is that a sexy little beast!

One thing I noticed is that the black line around the screen was really distracting. It's like my eyes always wanted to drift to that dark black outline rather than the text on the screen.

How do K4 owners feel about this. Is it something you have learned to live with or do you not even notice it after a few days? I was ready to grab a new Kindle but now I'm wondering if I should hang on to my K3 graphite until a graphite version of the K4 comes out (if ever).

Just wondering - is that dark black line distracting for you?

G
There is no black line on the K4NT, are you talking about the bevel surrounding the screen?
It sounds like you're observing it based product pictures. If so try it out in person again, amazon's product photo is shot at an angle and the lighting makes the bevel appeared to be darker than it actually is. In real use it's not as black, nor is it distracting at all.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had to pick up my Kindle and look to see what you were talking about. Obviously, it didn't make much of an impression one way or the other. It was just there.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I like it. The silver with black outline (on both sides with the case) is slick. What I find distracting is how deep the screen is set, although I understand why. Also the bezel being so large, but almost completely blank adds to the distaction, minor though it is.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
I like it. The silver with black outline (on both sides with the case) is slick. What I find distracting is how deep the screen is set, although I understand why. Also the bezel being so large, but almost completely blank adds to the distaction, minor though it is.
I think he's talking about the plain K4(non-touch) and the bevel, since he just mentioned "K4" & " around the screen".

But yes I also find the recessed screen on the Touch less pleasant to look at than the K4's almost flush design. But it's the same for all IR touch based readers.

Last edited by shinew; 11-29-2011 at 02:20 PM.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use the dark wood grain skin available from http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...Kindle-4-Skins and I don't notice the bezel line anymore. I came from a black sony 650, and the silver edge of the k4 was distracting.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I use the dark wood grain skin available from http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...Kindle-4-Skins and I don't notice the bezel line anymore. I came from a black sony 650, and the silver edge of the k4 was distracting.
I have a Black solid state skin I got for my K4. I've yet to install it as the first one sent was defective. So everything will be black when I finish.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I must be the only one who likes the Kindle Touch just as it is.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
grownupboy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
There is no black line on the K4NT, are you talking about the bevel surrounding the screen?
It sounds like you're observing it based product pictures. If so try it out in person again, amazon's product photo is shot at an angle and the lighting makes the bevel appeared to be darker than it actually is. In real use it's not as black, nor is it distracting at all.
nope, this thread was started because i did see it in person. maybe the bezel isn't black but there is a much darker grey line on the inside of the bezel than the rest of the case.

g