Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
kvon
kvon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
National Review Online - subscription content?

This is a question about the very basics of Calibre and newsfeed sources (to which I'm a complete neophyte), an about NRO content specifically...

Have been getting the NRO content through the built-in recipe in Calibre, but they recently started making only the 1st 2 paragraphs of each article available, with a link to the complete article. I really want the entire content ON the device (using a Kindle, hate using the wireless). I emailed Nat Review and was told I could get the complete content if I bought a digital subscription. I did that, and now have no idea how to access what I paid for, and can't seem to get help from Nat Review.

2 specific questions: How in the world do I get Calibre to submit my login info to the NRO website - and please don't tell me I need to write a recipe (python scripting?) to make that happen?!?! And 2nd, having done that, what's the URL for their subscription content? (I've asked them this question through email - no response).

thanks for any help!
kvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvon View Post
Have been getting the NRO content through the built-in recipe in Calibre, but they recently started making only the 1st 2 paragraphs of each article available, with a link to the complete article. I really want the entire content ON the device (using a Kindle, hate using the wireless).
I noticed this too, but haven't been using this recipe much so I didn't have the motivation to put in the time to figure it out. Maybe I'll take a look and see if I can figure out their new setup and change the recipe to download full articles again.

Quote:
2nd, having done that, what's the URL for their subscription content? (I've asked them this question through email - no response).
Looking at their home page the link to NR / Digital is prominent at the top of their page, see attached. Just grab what you want via this page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NRO_link_location.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	79116  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
kvon
kvon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Looking at their home page the link to NR / Digital is prominent at the top of their page, see attached. Just grab what you want via this page.
Yes, I found that link too -- if I were downloading to my computer this would be a no-brainer. But to the Kindle? No clue. When you follow the link to the "html text edition" it goes to a page of links to the articles... So - how do I get all those articles on the Kindle (with Calibre) - do I need a script? Or a URL?

Thanks for your help!
kvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, I found that link too -- if I were downloading to my computer this would be a no-brainer. But to the Kindle? No clue.
I understand. The PDF you can get to the Kindle manually via calibre, but I don't know how friendly the PDF is to being viewed on the Kindle.

Quote:
When you follow the link to the "html text edition" it goes to a page of links to the articles... So - how do I get all those articles on the Kindle (with Calibre) - do I need a script? Or a URL?
Like you I don't have the knowledge required to develop a recipe for this. If you were willing to share your username and password someone here might be kind and help you out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote