Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Why We’ll Never Have Innovative E-Books

Facebook buys Push Pop Press, innovators in epublishing, but plans to use technology on their social platform rather than in ebooks:

This Is Why We’ll Never Have Innovative E-Books

Tim Carmody's article sees this as a loss to the development of ways of publishing ebooks that go beyond simple text.

Do innovations in epublishing beyond text excite you as an author or as a reader?

Is Facebook's (or social media's in general) redirection of talent and resources good or bad for innovation in the publishing space?

Last edited by hughes; 08-03-2011 at 12:00 PM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Umm.. Do we really *need* innovative ebooks? I think you would find that most of us here just want to read. I really don't need more distractions.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Beyond text depends what I'm reading. Some books would work really well having an interactive map, or an interactive graph embedded in it. But for a lot of what I read, they would just be the flashing Eat At Joe's and Get Flat Abs signs that are interfering with me finding the information I need.

I don't necessarily see this as a huge step back. I think it's a temporary step back for some things, but there will always be a need for research into the dissemination of information and someone else will see the needs and fill that.

What I want right now is an affordable color touchscreen with fast refresh and backlighting that wasn't a glare-out in bright light. Oh, and easy on the eyes. That might make PDF an actually useable format on devices and solve a lof publishing issues we have right now. Although marked up LaTeX would be a little better in my opinion. Compressable and not so bloated for easily marked up things.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What I want right now is an affordable color touchscreen with fast refresh and backlighting that wasn't a glare-out in bright light. Oh, and easy on the eyes. That might make PDF an actually useable format on devices and solve a lof publishing issues we have right now. Although marked up LaTeX would be a little better in my opinion. Compressable and not so bloated for easily marked up things.
And a pony too?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Do innovations in epublishing beyond text excite you as an author or as a reader?
No. It makes me think I'll be reading a lot less in the future. We already have epublishing technology that includes all those innovative ideas. It's called the World Wide Web. And it sucks for most purposes.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i think the innovation is exciting. there are things that a writer may want to do in terms of novelties that could be displayed perfectly through greater innovation.

writers always try things that challenge the traditional text, like faulkner drawing an eye in place of the word, for example.

there are valid, literary ideas that could develop from greater technology and 'things going on" in ebooks. moving graphics or interactive elements in literature, particularly fiction, could make things interesting.

i do not see facebook as a deterrent to greater technology. another company will pop up.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
All of these so-called innovative ideas have been tried, succeeded in some areas, generally died in others or are called videos, movies, interactive books etc and can all be done with things like the web... books for relaxation and entertainment (you know... fiction) are for reading those odd things, what are they? Oh yes... words. If I want anything else then it's available form something else... there's a case for reference and teaching works to have links to other material but most of us use our ereaders for leisure reading and that's what's wanted... other stuff can be done happily on a non-pocketable tablet, a computer or even a smartphone...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I downloaded one of those virtual books with embedded video. It's on my iPad. It's a mystery/thriller.

The first video was the editor talking. Killed that quickly as I just wasn't interested. Just wanted to start the story.

Start of chapter two is someone (author?) reading out loud at least the first page of that chapter. Bailed out of that as well. The text is right there, I can read it, thanks.

Seriously, overkill. I'm not inclined to go back to it at the moment, but what was interesting was in the actual text, the story itself. The first two videos, for me, were a waste of time and effort. I don't imagine much beyond that that will actually add to the story.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Just putting video into a regular book is probably going to end up with what you just described. Using video to rethink how we tell a story is another matter. It could work, but it might just end up being like a cut scene in a video game which we just press esc as fast as we can.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think these books with whiz-bang effects are for a different market than the small fraction of people who are regular readers. The majority of people don't particularly like to read for entertainment. When they do read, it's mostly best-sellers so that they can participate in cultural phenomena (rather than just reading for its own sake). If the whiz-bang effects can make these books entertaining enough for even part of that majority, it could be a huge, new source of revenue for the industry.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
No. It makes me think I'll be reading a lot less in the future. We already have epublishing technology that includes all those innovative ideas. It's called the World Wide Web. And it sucks for most purposes.
Well said that. I am one of those people overjoyed with the new Nook because it doesnt have buttons, screens or anything else. Its a book without being book, and honestly that is ALL I want. Facebook can have the rest of this crap.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Too much, man........

This rather reminds of an audiobook I was once given, which helpfully included a text copy of the book "to enhance my listening experience"............

I'm sorry to say my normal reserve went just a teensy bit out the window.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Well said that. I am one of those people overjoyed with the new Nook because it doesnt have buttons, screens or anything else. Its a book without being book, and honestly that is ALL I want. Facebook can have the rest of this crap.
Sing it, brother. If I want an interactive web page, I'll fire up a web browser. And I'll probably do it on my laptop or desktop. If I really wanted something like my nook that could do that, I'd buy a real tablet. And surf the web.

A writer who needs video, audio, or any other bling to tell his story probably isn't telling a story I'm intersted in hearing.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Famebook is bad and nocive in any way imaginable. It's Idiocracy at a global level.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
IMO, the vast majority of innovations -- both electronic and otherwise -- are annoying. The few that aren't quickly become standard and are no longer considered innovative.

Like many folks on this thread. I enjoy the fact that my e-reader doesn't have lots of buttons, lights, or distractions. I do wish it had a clock, though.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote