Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
CoolEr/Kobo - why so slow? What am I not seeing?

(Note: I put this here because I'm not sure if it really belongs to either Kobo or CoolEr. Since both use Netronix hardware, this seems to be the most fitting. Surely any technique that involved either can be applied to others as well.
Also note: I'm not complaining - not much at least. It's honest curiosity mostly.)

Since I only know the EB600 and the Kobo WiFi, I can only speak about them.

Both seem to be rather slow - I'm not talking about starting up, but opening a book and turning pages.
(Ignoring hardware reasons like slow screen refresh.)

What I recently noticed - and this may be because of the source material - is that on the Kobo a chapter turn takes extremely long.
It's ePub (from O'Reilly), and chapters are apparently separate files, which might explain it partially - but it still takes by far too long, IMO.

Since I don't believe that the hardware is THAT slow, and I certainly don't think that either company doesn't know what they're doing, there must be a good reason that I fail to grasp.

I'm obviously missing a piece of the puzzle, which is why I can't see the big picture.

Any suggestions?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
I guess the riddle is solved - what I don't see is the CSS, this seems to make ePub very slow if it's too much/complicated.

See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1544015

No need for this thread anymore, I guess.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert