Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Wacom Cross Executive Pen

I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd give it it's own thread and review.

I just bought the Cross Executive Wacom pen from Amazon for ~$40 + shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Cross-Ex.../dp/B0002FHEWA

Shipping was very quick, I ordered it on Friday, and received it on Tuesday. One of my primary tasks on the iLiad is taking notes throughout the day at work. I always thought the included wacom pen was too small, and got annoying and caused hand cramps if I wrote for any length of time.

Switching to the Cross pen has been a night and day difference. When you write with the iLiad stylus, you can feel the tip dragging on the screen. It feels a lot like writing with a pencil. I've always avoided pencils because of the feel of writing with one, and was a bit disappointed when I had that on the reason. The Cross pen, however, feels smoother and better than any pen I've used. Instead of "dragging" on the screen, it glides. I can't describe how nice it feels

I have the community version of the screen calibration and multi button patch installed on my iLiad (a version of this should be released with 2.11). Because the screen does not support tilt data, it takes a little bit to get the calibration just right. It's all about the angle you hold the pen when you're writing normally, and have to think of that when calibrating the screen. However, once it's calibrated, it's spot on when I write. The multi button patch also supports the other two buttons on the pen. Right now, no iRex apps have functionality for this built in, so they just see it as another click. But, I did test it with xournal (an app I ported). I was able to program the button on the back of the pen to erase when I flipped the pen over and used it like an eraser. I could also program functions for the click button on the pen itself. Once iRex adds this functionality to their note and/or ipdf apps, it will be very useful.

I should also note that the touch screen is not turned on when the factory pen is inside the iLiad. So you will need to pull it out slightly to use your Cross pen. It doesn't cause too many problems, but I can see it being an issue for people who move around and hold their iLiad when taking notes.

Also, the tip of the pen does look fragile (I haven't really tested it's durability yet), but it is replaceable and comes with 3 spare tips. A very nice addition.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone who takes notes with their iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does leaving the included stylus out of iLiad increase the battery drain?

Does the internal switch actually power the digitizer on and off thus saving power when not in use, or does it merely block the logic that accepts and processes digitizer input?

I've got a Wacom tablet for my PC that I rarely use, it would be nice to borrow the pen once in a while when I want finer writing control.

Of course, this is all theoretical since I haven't bought an iLiad yet, I'm still mulling over all the device options.

Last edited by MikeF74; 09-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Yes, leaving the included stylus out does increase battery drain. The switch will actually turn off the wacom tablet and thus provide longer battery life when the stylus is inserted.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The hardware does not support tilt data, or the software?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
arrgg..i'm after one of these pens as a replacement for my tablet pc pen (which i lost)
Guess what the cheapest price in the UK is....
£50 = $100
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Adam B., thanks for your review. Such a pen is on my wishlist.

Last edited by yokos; 09-24-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: you != your
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've got my eye on this also if I ever lose my Lenovo pen.
Thks Alex.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Thks Alex.
I've been around for how long, and you still don't know my name?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I've been around for how long, and you still don't know my name?
Sorry about that! Certain names have become so automatic that the first letter is typed, there's no turning back. You're lucky I didn't call you by my wife's name! Kind of like when you are driving someone somewhere along a familiar route, and you realize at some point that you were on autopilot and were taking them home with you by accident!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
storysmith
Well Connected Old Fart
storysmith began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad (both) - Motion tablet - EB1150
I have a spare pen for my Motion tablet...
works fine.
storysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Heh,heh,

A long time ago I had a Wacom tablet that as I recall might have
had a adb(?) bus connection for old timey macs.

I pitched the tablet a number of years ago but yesterday I found that
I had kept the 'pen' that came with the tablet.

I gave it a shot and darned if it doesn't work a charm....

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
@adam (or is it alex )

I am finding that I am using my iliad for notes much more than I ever expected, and am starting to find the standard iliad pen limiting. I think I need to get this pen. The special UK-USA technology exchange rate (1 dollar = 1 pound) is tough though (i.e. ). Now you've had it for a few months are you still impressed with it?
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

When ever I need to take notes on the iLiad longer than quickly jotting one down, I use this pen. I'm still as happy with it now as the day I bought it. It's definitely become useful as I've been attending a lot more meetings lately.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
When ever I need to take notes on the iLiad longer than quickly jotting one down, I use this pen. I'm still as happy with it now as the day I bought it. It's definitely become useful as I've been attending a lot more meetings lately.
Great, thanks. I'm going to get one.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #15
PhilT
Enthusiast
PhilT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hey daudi!

Did you get this pen in the end? If so, did you find a good price here in the UK?

Cheers,
Phil
PhilT is offline   Reply With Quote