Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Video review of PRS-600 on MobileTechReview

Hello ladies and gents,
We've just posted our video review of the Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600. We used an HD video camera and it's the sharpest we could get out of YouTube. Hopefully it will give you a good idea of the text quality and glare. We've got comparisons with the Sony 505 and a good still photo of the two close-up.

What do I think in a nutshell? Way, way, way better than the PRS-700. I wanted to love the 700 but stuck with my 505. While the contrast is a bit lower on the PRS-600, it's not bad and the glare is fairly minor. We'll publish a full review in a day or two. But meanwhile, do check out the video review and comparison shot.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...0&Number=34238
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Great to see how the annotations and dictionary lookup works. Good comparison of contrast between PRS-505 and PRS-600.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Thanks a lot for sharing this review! It's the best video review of the PRS-600 I've seen so far.

I was impressed by how annotations work. What a great feature.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Thanks for the video, EXCELLENT job, I learned a lot on how to better utilize it before I had a chance to check out the instructions, thanks Karma points to you
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, that really makes this device look SWEET! The touch screen gives some excellent features and the readability looks only a little worse than the 505.

One thing I wonder, can you export those hand written notes to your PC as a jpg? If so, I can import them into Evernote... it will OCR them for me and make them searchable. I would rather takes notes on this than a moleskine any day.

Oh, and I don't know what she was talking about saying the Kindle DX had a grayer screen than the 505, they looked identical to me in her video. She may be seeing the illusion that the bigger screen looks darker because there is more text on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

It is pretty sweet Definitely not suffering the pains of disillusionment as I did with the 700. If I can stop working for a few hours, I'm going to spend at least two hours reading on it so I can see how my eyes feel.

My DX display is darker than my 505. It's a very small difference, but it's darker. I checked with a light meter, just as I did with the Kindle 2 (now replaced by the DX).

We're still waiting on desktop software 3.0 to see how that notes export to the desktop works . Thurs or Friday, according to Sony.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
We're still waiting on desktop software 3.0 to see how that notes export to the desktop works . Thurs or Friday, according to Sony.
The software is already out... http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Thanks for the good video BTW!

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
See Sony eBook Library (EBL) 3.0 links.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Yeehah! I last looked an hour ago and there was nada. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeehah! I last looked an hour ago and there was nada. Thanks!
Sure... I can't wait to see Part two of your review on using the annotations and such with the software and what all you can do with it.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

The annotations are in RTF format-- more than I would have expected-- that's pretty impressive. The selected text experts are text and there's a graphic of the page that had been annotated. Will have to play with it more, but it seems the graphic is too small to be very useful, even when enlarged.

The Mac desktop software actually works very well!!! I imported 300 books burned to a CD from my PC Sony Reader library and that took only a few minutes. Better behaved than the old PC version. In fact, 3.0 on my PC crashed once but the Mac version has been solid.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the video. Fantastic. I would've loved a side by side comparison with the 700 but I've read you returned it.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The annotations are in RTF format-- more than I would have expected-- that's pretty impressive.
the hand written ones? Hmm... that's interesting.

Have you used Evernote? I was thinking I could use the notepad feature, jot down notes at a meeting or something, then import them into evernote which will OCR them and allow me to search them.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Yes, I returned it. As a consolation, I did compare the 600 to a 700 at the local SonyStyle store and the difference is noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Thanks for the video. Fantastic. I would've loved a side by side comparison with the 700 but I've read you returned it.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Yes, I've used Evernote. The handwritten note graphic looks pretty illegible to me, even when zooming/stretching. But I'll play with it more tomorrow.

The text portions of the RTF are basically the highlighted or underline portions of the text itself (not one's handwritten notes) with a date and time assigned. The top of the note contains the book title and author. But again, I'll play with that more tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
the hand written ones? Hmm... that's interesting.

Have you used Evernote? I was thinking I could use the notepad feature, jot down notes at a meeting or something, then import them into evernote which will OCR them and allow me to search them.

BOb