Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
rge
rge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Download version 2.x ?

Unfortunately the new server is no good for me - it can't actually run as a server without the main app on Windows, and it doesn't work on Internet Explorer or Edge either.

The functionality seems extremely limited as well, so it can't replace the main client and as they can't run together I don't really get the point - it's made Calibre a single-user app with much lower non-technical usability.

My use case is simply running the app on Windows for me and my family to use locally, but with the server in the background serving OPDS and occasionally using the web pages to choose books remotely.

Is there somewhere to get the old Windows MSI installer for 2.85.1 so I can downgrade?
rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As indicated on the calibre windows download page:
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
rge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As indicated on the calibre windows download page:
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/
Can't believe I didn't spot that - many thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rge View Post
Unfortunately the new server is no good for me - it can't actually run as a server without the main app on Windows, and it doesn't work on Internet Explorer or Edge either.

The functionality seems extremely limited as well, so it can't replace the main client and as they can't run together I don't really get the point - it's made Calibre a single-user app with much lower non-technical usability.

My use case is simply running the app on Windows for me and my family to use locally, but with the server in the background serving OPDS and occasionally using the web pages to choose books remotely.
Is there a reason that you can't run the UI and leave it running? It will serve the site in the same way as the server. Minimize it to the task tray to get it out of the way. Others are using something to stop the server when they need to UI and then restart it when finished with library maintenance.

For the browsers that don't like the new server, you probably need to use the non-javascript version. This basically the old server pages, but generated by the new server. There is a link on the loading page of the the site, or add "/mobile" to the end of the URL.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
rge

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is there a reason that you can't run the UI and leave it running? It will serve the site in the same way as the server. Minimize it to the task tray to get it out of the way. Others are using something to stop the server when they need to UI and then restart it when finished with library maintenance.

For the browsers that don't like the new server, you probably need to use the non-javascript version. This basically the old server pages, but generated by the new server. There is a link on the loading page of the the site, or add "/mobile" to the end of the URL.
Thanks - I'm now doing the same thing, stopping the server in a script and then restarting it afterwards. It's a bit clunky but works.

I suggested on the developer issues how to allow Edge and IE to work because it's a one line change for the basic functionality (not the online reader), but unfortunately it was rejected so I'm probably going to find a Calibre replacement that is more user-friendly for my non-technical family members.

Tags
downgrade calibre 2