Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Google Play - Know format before buying?

I've never bought an ebook from Google Play before. There's a book there that I'm interested in, but I really only want it if it's PDF. Is there a way for me to know what format the book is before purchasing it?
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I couldn't believe they wouldn't tell you what formats it was available in, but I looked at Google's comic books thinking the format would be important to tell the customer about. By golly, it DOESN'T tell you!

My hunch is they are not in PDF format, but in some sort of proprietary format. My reasons are, they offer 'Bubble text' and tell the consumer to download the Google Play book app for their particular device. You might want to contact their helpline and get a firm answer from them.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
I've never bought an ebook from Google Play before. There's a book there that I'm interested in, but I really only want it if it's PDF. Is there a way for me to know what format the book is before purchasing it?
Look at the section of the book's description that says Features. You'll generally see Flowing text, Original pages or both. Flowing Text means ePub and Original Pages means PDF. As I understand it sometimes the PDF is one provided by the publisher, other times it's generated from the ePub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I couldn't believe they wouldn't tell you what formats it was available in, but I looked at Google's comic books thinking the format would be important to tell the customer about. By golly, it DOESN'T tell you!

My hunch is they are not in PDF format, but in some sort of proprietary format. My reasons are, they offer 'Bubble text' and tell the consumer to download the Google Play book app for their particular device. You might want to contact their helpline and get a firm answer from them.
The one comic I have from them has "original pages" and downloads as a PDF.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Books I've downloaded from Google Play have been Epub. But, I suppose that doesn't mean they all will.

I've also bought two magazines from Google Play: Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazines. They were PDF, but did not have PDF file extensions. I suppose this is fine if you are only ever going to use the Google app to read them. Tracking them down and correcting the file extensions was a real pain -- and I decided it was just too much work.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It says both - does that mean it is available as both epub and PDF, but it's possible that the PDF is from the epub?

The preview looks like a poorly formatted epub. Everything is left-justified, and there are no spaces between paragraphs.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Not all books on the Google Play Store allow you to download.

If it doesn't say it works with eReader, you may not be able to download it.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
garbanzo
bean

Wow, really?

If they can't be upfront about what they're selling me, then I'll skip it. The hardcover is 4x the price, but at least I know what I'm getting...

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
It says both - does that mean it is available as both epub and PDF, but it's possible that the PDF is from the epub?
Yes.

Quote:
Wow, really?

If they can't be upfront about what they're selling me, then I'll skip it. The hardcover is 4x the price, but at least I know what I'm getting...

Thanks everyone.
If you prefer PDF, another source is eBooks.com. Some publishers still have PDFs available there and the PDFs are created by the publishers themselves. The caveat there is that eBooks.com allows downloads of whatever formats the publisher currently allows, even if the formats were different when you bought the book. I have several books that allowed PDFs when I bought them, but no longer do.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Yes.

If you prefer PDF, another source is eBooks.com. Some publishers still have PDFs available there and the PDFs are created by the publishers themselves. The caveat there is that eBooks.com allows downloads of whatever formats the publisher currently allows, even if the formats were different when you bought the book. I have several books that allowed PDFs when I bought them, but no longer do.
I know of one author that uploaded only a pdf to Google Play. When you clicked on the buy button, a warning box came up that this book may not be readable on phones.
This was before July 2015.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote