Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 12-10-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Scotty
Scotty began at the beginning.

Hi,
I have downloaded sites in the past but now, all I get are "unable to open" errors.  This happens on web pages, url's and saved.  Anybody have an idea of why this is doing it?
Scott
Old 12-10-2002, 12:47 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Scotty,

when exactly does the Unable to Open error appear? When you try to download a web page using iSiloX?

If that is the case, did you check if you have activated some kind of firewall software that blocks iSiloX from accessing the Internet?

Or did you try to reinstall iSiloX?

Lastly, does that happen only with the channel list from my page, or also with new channels that you manually add to the list?

Alex
Old 12-10-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I would try either resetting the PC (I know it sounds obvious, but it worked for me earlier), or reinstalling, as suggested.  
Scott
Old 12-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #4
AndreasZ
AndreasZ began at the beginning.

Hi there,

I experienced the same problem today (Isilo was working fine two days before after the first installation).

Now I do get only "Unable to open:..." Errors, for the Channel list, as well as for a single URL in blank new Isilo file, when I try to convert it. I already reinstalled Isilo but nothing changed. Did not change the system. Even registered Isilo on my Tungsten (before I experienced this problem, but this should not affect the WinXP Isilo installation anyway, right !?)
ZoneAlarm (FireWall) is turned off when I try to convert. Other internet related stuff is working (IExpl., NetscapeMail). What's going on ???

Please help.

Thanks,

Andreas
Old 12-14-2002, 12:52 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What version of iSiloX are you guys using? All 3.25 Final?
Old 12-14-2002, 12:57 PM   #6
AndreasZ

I'm using 3.25 (don't know whether it's final, but downloaded two or three days before).

Andreas
Old 12-14-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Smile

OK I send a note to the developer of iSiloX. Seems kinda odd that several people here experienced the same problem.

Alex
Old 12-15-2002, 03:45 AM   #8
iSilo
Developer
iSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it is

There have been no other reports of this and there is no information in the posts here that indicates an obvious cause. One thing to verify is to make sure that you have "http://" in front of any web addresses you specify in iSiloX. For example, you can't just have "www.turcic.com", but must have "http://www.turcic.com".
Old 12-15-2002, 04:44 PM   #9
AndreasZ

Hi there again,

after a second re-installation of isiloX it is working again. Cannot say what is different now compared
to the first reinstallation yesterday. If it happens again (which I do not hope) I will hopefully able to reproduce this odd behaviour, and let you know then.

Thnx for your support anyway,

Andreas.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Well..time to reopen this thread.

I've just installed, reinstalled, reinstalled the current release of iSiloX and now I cannot generate any channels...did so just fine with the last beta release. I know it makes no sense, but 'tis what's happening.

I've tried no user-agent, the default, and the Mozilla/Avant setting.

I'm thinking it's a firewall issue, but why now and not with the beta version? Plus, this is on a wireless network, thus the firewall is in the router and nonchangeable (it's not like ZoneAlarm where I can permission certain programs).

Anyone else struggling with this?

Cheers (not really...),
Gary

Edited 12:20: Have since discovered I can use port triggering to allow a program to go out/in...but need to know the ports isilox.exe is using to do this. Error log for iSiloX shows this:

"Progress: Connecting to host(diveintomark.org) port(80)
Progress: Failed(81010002) to connect to host(diveintomark.org) port(80)"

...which is like "duh...I knew that..." but it does give a port #, although that didn't help when I used it in the port triggering settings.

Edited 2:05: Trying this on a different wireless network, and iSiloX is still dead as roadkill. I've also been trying some tabbed browser replacements, and 2 of the 3 aren't seeing the 'net either (NetCaptor works fine, SlimBrowser and AvantBrowser can't get out). Weird.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Hm still looks like a router/firewall configuration problem to me. You said NetCaptor works fine - does also IE work for you?
Old 06-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Hm still looks like a router/firewall configuration problem to me. You said NetCaptor works fine - does also IE work for you?
IE works fine...Netscape works fine...HandStory works fine...FTP program works fine.

It's a mystery to me why the two tabbed browsers and iSilo can't work (iSilo 3.3 worked fine).

Gary
Old 06-18-2003, 04:58 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Can you totally disable your firewall to test if it then works? Something like a DMZ (demilitarized zone)?
Old 06-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #14
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Can you totally disable your firewall to test if it then works? Something like a DMZ (demilitarized zone)?
Yeah...that's the next step...but have been reluctant to do so (since it opens the entire network, not just my laptop...I can't set static IPs per machine, so it would have to be the whole network...although that's only 2 computers )

I can also use Port Triggering if I can determine what ports these programs are using (have no idea how to proceed with that), but setting up the DMZ host will tell me whether it's router/firewall or Winsleazy acting up again...

Gary
Old 06-19-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
gvtexas
Addict

RESOLVED! Weird, but once I ran ZoneAlarm, and allowed access to iSiloX (and the alternate browsers), worked fine through the wireless firewall. Whew....