Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Title and Author Sort

I thought I had found the tweak for the title and author sort but I was not able to get the results I want.
When editing the Metadata if I have the author's name as FN LN and click on the button to copy the author name to the Author sort field I want it copied as FN LN. I changed and applied the tweak for the Author sort name algorithm (ID: author_sort_copy_method) from comma to copy but this did not give me the results I was expecting. Sometimes it will copy as expected (e.g. FN LN) and other times I get LN, FN.

Also with the title, if the title is "The William S Club" and I click on the button to copy the title to the title sort field I want it to appear in the title sort field as "The William S Club", e.g. I do not want it changed.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
Also with the title, if the title is "The William S Club" and I click on the button to copy the title to the title sort field I want it to appear in the title sort field as "The William S Club", e.g. I do not want it changed.
Not sure this is easily changed (although I could be wrong about that )

There is however a tweak to control whether title or title_sort should be used when sending to devices, and another one to control which should be used when sorting for Calibre display purposes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I thought I had found the tweak for the title and author sort but I was not able to get the results I want.
When editing the Metadata if I have the author's name as FN LN and click on the button to copy the author name to the Author sort field I want it copied as FN LN. I changed and applied the tweak for the Author sort name algorithm (ID: author_sort_copy_method) from comma to copy but this did not give me the results I was expecting. Sometimes it will copy as expected (e.g. FN LN) and other times I get LN, FN.

@jgt1942 - Try playing with the per_language_title_sort_articles Tweak. I think if you remove the articles (The, A, An) then they wont get shoved to the back.

Added : Also in Manage Authors try clicking the Recalculate all author sort values that should force all the authors_sort values to conform to the author_sort_method Tweak - ie if its invert and the author column is Fred Bloggs then the author-sort will be changed to Bloggs, Bill etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-25-2014 at 04:28 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Title_series tweak:'strictly_alphabetic'

There is a second tweak for Author
Author sort Name: 'Copy'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
jgt1942
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Title_series tweak:'strictly_alphabetic'

There is a second tweak for Author
Author sort Name: 'Copy'
BTW currently I'm just trying to get Calibre to display the way I want it. I'll worry about my tablets later (or should I worry about them now?).

I had found the author sort and set it to Copy and have encountered one book where Calibre refuses to honor the Copy, in the author name I have FN LN but in the sort field it remains LN, FN so far all of my other books have worked.

After much searching I found the darn title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic' and now I can easily copy from the title to the sort field.
MUCH Thanks!!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
jgt1942
Connoisseur

Darn I just tried the book that was giving me a problem and now it works. Thanks again.