Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
More precisely, they were to return the covers and destroy the books. Some chose to sell them instead. I recall books started to appear with a message on the first page "If you bought this book without a cover, it is stolen property and the author and publisher have not been paid..."

On the one hand it was good of the publishes to not insist on the expense of actually returning the books, but it was a terrible waste to destroy them. They should have required them to be donated to charity or burned for heat or something.
I guess if the publishers REALLY wanted that rule obeyed, they should have asked the resellers to return several pages torn out of the middle rather than the cover.....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #47
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Where's 'here?'
philippines. we have so-called "specialty" bookstores; the selections are not as broad (they mostly just stock bestsellers and maybe some books with obscure topics), and most books have a big mark-up. the incomes of the ordinary people here do not keep up with the rising costs. needless to say, here, books are a luxury item. i know someone in the forum had once said that "serious readers" buy the physical book. i take offense to that. :|

Quote:
On the one hand it was good of the publishes to not insist on the expense of actually returning the books, but it was a terrible waste to destroy them. They should have required them to be donated to charity or burned for heat or something.
]
they definitely should have just donated them to charity. what a waste.

Last edited by wyndslash; 04-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #48
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I read a romance recently that had a book burning by the heroine. She was buring her romances because she felt they were ruining her chance at romance. Wasteful & TSTL
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #49
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
More precisely, they were to return the covers and destroy the books. Some chose to sell them instead. I recall books started to appear with a message on the first page "If you bought this book without a cover, it is stolen property and the author and publisher have not been paid..."

I guess if the publishers REALLY wanted that rule obeyed, they should have asked the resellers to return several pages torn out of the middle rather than the cover.....

Charities don't want books. I've tried to donate them. Even new ones get rejected.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Charities don't want books. I've tried to donate them. Even new ones get rejected.
Some don't, others do. Among them, Goodwill and Big Brothers & Big Sisters.
Apparently others as well:
http://www.surplusbooksforcharity.org/
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #51
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
philippines. we have so-called "specialty" bookstores; the selections are not as broad (they mostly just stock bestsellers and maybe some books with obscure topics), and most books have a big mark-up. the incomes of the ordinary people here do not keep up with the rising costs. needless to say, here, books are a luxury item.
Yeah, I grew up in the Philippines and I'm now in Canada. It's pretty interesting to think about how major publishers pretty much only think about the reading audiences in North America and parts of Europe, but not much about the rest of the world. E-books change which readers can have access to what, and have prices that the local population can afford.

I remember Catherynne Valente talking on an SFSignal podcast about how ebooks and ereaders make books only accessible for the rich, but I think it's oversimplifying things. E-readers like the Kindle is still inaccessible and expensive for most people in the world, but basically everyone has a cellphone. If there were more affordable phones that people would feel comfortable reading a full book in, then the potential customer base of the e-book industry is huge.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #52
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Some don't, others do. Among them, Goodwill and Big Brothers & Big Sisters.
Apparently others as well:
http://www.surplusbooksforcharity.org/
Yes, I've had luck sometimes finding out of print books at goodwill.

I am a big reader, as are most of the people closest to me, so I was initially shocked to read the stats. Now that I think about it, they are probably bang on.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #53
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
then bring it over here because our uni orgs are always looking for books to donate
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #54
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
Does frequent logging on to Amazon, B&N, Smashwords and Kobo count as being in a bookstore?

I live in a small village and our bookstore has now closed, although the local grocery has a book rack. Mind you, if I happen to be in a town and see a bookstore open, I have great difficulty in walking past.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #55
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
nothing surprising there, I know very few people who read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
that says it all. And shows why this country now sucks as much as it does. I wonder though what the stats are for different eras. I would say people actually read more today than ever but the content is intentionally non-challenging geared to probably a 6th grade education.
Not just this country. It is the same or worse in the UK.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #56
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
[snip] if I happen to be in a town and see a bookstore open, I have great difficulty in walking past.
That's me, too I'm horrible to go on walks with...I get distracted if we pass a bookstore and I always want to linger (expect in my local Books-A Million, the book selection is horrible and I've been there often enough to know it...but it'd be great if I wanted to by unnecessary doodads)
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #57
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes, I've had luck sometimes finding out of print books at goodwill.
And in fact they have an online presence for their used and out-of-print books.

http://www.goodwillbooks.com/
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #58
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
The figures in the OP are just sad I would hope that college-educated young people would have some natural curiosity, enough to read at least a book a year.

I grew up in a house full of books. My parents were readers, though not as obsessively as I am. I have always been a compulsive reader by nature so when I ran out of kids' books I would go read my parents'. My husband and siblings are more occasional readers (if something interests them or they have down time on vacation, that sort of thing). Now I have the house with the overstuffed bookshelves and one kid who loves to read and the other one who only enjoys reading a very narrow category of book (he does, however, write, so there is hope for him yet).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not to deny the statistics... but I'd point out (as a few other posts have alluded to) that there are other things to read besides books. I'd bet many of those 80% adults and college grads do read periodicals (newspapers and magazines), graphic novels (which I'd bet they didn't count as books) and articles/documents related to their work... so it's not as if they are all not reading anything.

Sure, maybe there's something lost by not getting the recommended daily requirement of fiction or non-fiction books... but let's not cast those people aside too quickly. They may have learned a lot of practical knowledge from what reading they do, and may be able to embarrass many of us on what they know about the world, vs what we know about certain books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #60
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
That's a lot of trees dying in vain.
And they had such high aspirations!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, stats