Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"FEEL" of the kindle

I just ordered the kindle 3 wth wi-fi and 3G.

I want to know if 3g works in the uk as it supposed to only work with AT&T.

The second thing I am very worried about the FEEL of the kindle.

The texture of the material.

Reason is I have a Nokia 6500 metal phone (was a present) and I must admit the finish on the metal is very repulsive.It is very slimy to the touch and feels very slippery such that my hand and fingers start sweating in some kind of psychological reaction to it in anticipation of maybe dropping from my hand.(perhaps?).

Anyone here have that Nokia 6500 phone?

Do you know what I mean/

Anyway I would not want the back of the kindle to be like that and I was wandering if we could petition Amazon for a quilted back like the kobo reader.This will absorb the sweat and make it soft.

I don't want a cover as that would make it thick.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
I want to know if 3g works in the uk as it supposed to only work with AT&T.
It roams to the Vodafone network in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Anyway I would not want the back of the kindle to be like that and I was wandering if we could petition Amazon for a quilted back like the kobo reader.This will absorb the sweat and make it soft.
The back of the Kindle has some sort of rubberised coating on it so it isn't smooth metal. The front of the Kindle has a textured feel to it so it also isn't smooth metal.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The casing of the Kindle (front and back) is plastic. I don't love plastic as a material but it's a whole lot nicer to hold than a cold and slippery, metal ereading device. So yes it's good to hold - just not so impressive to look at as say the Sony devices which look shiny and expensive IMO
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
To me, it feels like a big calculator
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
The keyboard reminded me a bit of the Philips videopack G7000 (Also called Magnavox Odyseey2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey%C2%B2
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
The Kindle 3 (Graphite) has some sort of rubbery/textured plastic coating. I have very sweaty hands and it's not slippery at all when I hold it.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
ChrisByrd
ChrisByrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I bought the Amazon lighted cover or my Kindle and it feels really nice to hold - like a luxurious leather-bound book, but a lot lighter.
ChrisByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
To me, it feels like a big calculator
pretty much how I would describe it too
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
it feels like my partner
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post
it feels like my partner
your partner feels like a calculator !
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
With the K1 I always read it like an open book. With the K3, I find I like to fold the case's front cover back and secure it with the elastic band. It makes a nice compact package to hold and read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloth, feel, metal, slimy, sweating