Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Talking Win the eBook Reader of your choice worth up to $500 USD

Hi everyone,

Simply go to www.ZuluExpress.com and do one of the following to win $500 USD to spend on a new eBook Reader of your choosing.

1. Download and read any book in our library, then post a review for it on our site.

2. Upload any legal book to our library, it could be either your own original work or something from the public domain.

3. Buy any eBook from our library.

Every time you do one of the above you get an entry in the draw which will be announced here and on our site on Monday, March 1st 2010 (GMT +11:00)

Spread the word!

Last edited by ondabeach; 01-30-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Two points:

1. Your link doesn't work (you've missed off the ".com".
2. Is this open to people anywhere in the world?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
ondabeach
Groupie

Doh! Thanks Harry.

Yes, entry is open to anyone in the world.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. What are the copyright laws of Vanuatu? ie, what constitutes a "legal" book for you? Is it life + 70 years?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
ondabeach
Groupie

There are no copyright laws to speak of in Vanuatu but our site is hosted in Australia.

A "Legal" eBook is one where it's being uploaded to our library does not infringe the rights of any person or entity in relation to the Ebook in question.

In a nutshell, that means that it can't be subject to copyright either in their (the uploader's) country or in Australia.
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying. Might be worth putting that on your site (unless it's there already and I've overlooked it). I'll upload one of my books for you.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
ondabeach
Groupie

Thanks Harry, and good luck

If you have any hassles let me know. The site is new (maybe a slightly premmy birth) and there is a lot more functionality to be added to the "Members' Page" like a book wish list and OPDS catalogs of their book lists to name a few. Sorry if you find parts of the site a bit clunky, please, please feel more than free to make suggestions on how to improve the site. That goes for everyone out there by the way

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Ondabeach,

I just tried to purchase a book from Zuluexpress but I get an unhandeled exception when I try and login?? I have registered and it said it had gone through, could it be because I am using the Firefox browser??
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi AFK, I will check it out and get back to you.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
ondabeach
Groupie

HI AFK_Matirx, sorry about that, I have fixed that broken "Log In" link. FYI, to log in you can just click the big "Members" button at the top or bottom right of the home page.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi ondabeach,

Thanks for that mate, I have purchased the book

EDIT: I bought the Saving Mankind book by Don Stallman and it says it is the first book of a trilogy, are you going to be getting the other books at all? Or have they not been written yet?

Last edited by AFK_Matrix; 01-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
ondabeach
Groupie

No problems AFK_Matrix, glad to help. Don is currently about 60% finished book 2 and it should be in the library by mid to late 2010 and book 3 is outlined.

I hope you enjoy getting to know Iqbal (Iqy to his mates) and the gang as much as I did. Don't forget to post a review on the site when your finished to get another entry in the draw. To post a review, go to the ZE library and look to the right of the eBook and you'll see a button labeled "Book Reviews", click that and follow your nose
Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Just got done checking out the site, and I have to say it has a lot of potential. It is very visually appealing and there are a lot of good books available. There are a few minor issues that I noted: 1) there is no FAQ or Help section, which I think would be a good idea. 2) The publish section seems to force you to upload .txt files for book synopsis rather than allowing you to simply type in a quick synopsis. 3) I uploaded a public domain book, but I saw no way to change the author from my name to the actual author's name. The only link I found to upload books was the "publish" button which seems to assume that the book is the work of the person uploading it. (Principia Discordia is now currently listed on your site as being authored by Jabberwock rather than Malaclypse the Younger...sad really).

All in all it is a very eye catching site that seems to have a lot of good stuff already in it. I look forward to seeing it grow.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
ondabeach
Groupie

Hey jaberwock, thanks for the feedback, and for the reviews

I'll get to work on your suggestions, firstly the ones re the uploading other people's work and the uploader/author issue.

I'll get back to you here.

Keep up the good work, with the first and only 4 reviews so far you're in the box seat for a new reader.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
ondabeach
Groupie

Ok jabberwock, I've been making some changes to the site but I need to finish bench testing before I upload the new pages to the site. I have created a member for Malaclypse the Younger and re-uploaded Principia Discordia under his name. That's what you would normally do if you are uploading a book by someone else. That's the kind of info that'd be in the FAQ section so I better pull my finger out and get that up and happening.

I will have to change the "Text Boxes" and "Labels" for the synopses, Sample Chapters and Bios into html edit controls so that you can type directly into them or upload a file in either txt or html format. This way in the synopsis and or author bio you could have a link to the authors wiki for example.

I'd love to get more feedback and suggestions from yourself and other MR members.

I'll let you know when I've updated the site with the direct data entry and the FAQ page.

Cheers.