Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Mac & PC won't recognize Kobo

I have a Kobo Aura on the latest firmware. My desktop is running Windows 10 Enterprise with all updates current. Macbook running El Capitan, all up to date.

Windows: I plug in my reader and get the pop-up on the screen and I hit Connect. Then nothing. No pop-ups about installing drivers. Nothing in Device Manager. Nothing in Drive Manager. Nothing in USBDevView.

Mac: I plug in my reader and get the pop-up on the screen and I hit Connect. Then nothing. I even installed the Kobo desktop software, and it won't recognize my reader.

Is it worth contacting Kobo support about this? I can still load books onto my SD card and read them, I just can't sync with Calibre or anything else, which is disappointing...
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try a different USB cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
USB 2 or 3 port? If 3 try connecting a USB 2 hub and then the Kobo to the hub.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If none of that works, try a factory reset and if that works, then update the firmware again.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
I have a Kobo Aura on the latest firmware. My desktop is running Windows 10 Enterprise with all updates current. Macbook running El Capitan, all up to date.
There was, briefly, quite a while ago, a MacOS that was having trouble recognising Kobo. It may have been an El Capitan, I'm not sure. Is there a reason you're not using Sierra?

(Otherwise: what the others said. Restart both devices, use a different cable, etc.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Already tried factory-resetting the Kobo. Tried different USB ports, tried a hub. I haven't dug out my cable box yet to try a different one, that's the next step.

Not sure why my Macbook wasn't on the latest OS. I almost never use it - in fact, I just sold it and it's shipping out this weekend, so that's the end of that.

I can try it on my wife's Windows laptop later, see if that gets me any results...
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
Already tried factory-resetting the Kobo. Tried different USB ports, tried a hub. I haven't dug out my cable box yet to try a different one, that's the next step.

Not sure why my Macbook wasn't on the latest OS. I almost never use it - in fact, I just sold it and it's shipping out this weekend, so that's the end of that.

I can try it on my wife's Windows laptop later, see if that gets me any results...
Did you ever get this figured out? I can't get my Kobo One to be recognized on my Mac. It is not just that Calibre can't see it, it is not showing up on my Mac at all.

Any tips? I restarted my Mac, updated the software, both my OS and Calibre, restarted my Kobo One. I'm at a loss as to what to do.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #8
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Any tips? I restarted my Mac, updated the software, both my OS and Calibre, restarted my Kobo One. I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Try different ports and different cables. The original cable only works on the right USB port of my MBP15, a cable that came with a pair of headphones works on both sides.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Try a different computer that's not a MAC.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try a different computer that's not a MAC.
I did, it will recognize my Kobo on my work laptop, which is a Mac with Windows 10 installed. But that doesn't solve the problem of accessing Calibre, since I don't have that on my work computer. I need my home Mac with Calibre to recognize my Kobo.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Try different ports and different cables. The original cable only works on the right USB port of my MBP15, a cable that came with a pair of headphones works on both sides.
I did that too, I've tried both USB ports and a different cable, which I borrowed from my sister. I only have the one cable that came with my Kobo, but that cable works when I plug it in to my work computer, and has worked on my current home computer in the past.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Are you running the latest OS X?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
FWIW my Kobo Aura One is recognized by El Capitan on my Mac. I just have the quirky left versus right USB port issue that johnnyb mentioned.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you running the latest OS X?
Yes, updated everything last night.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
FWIW my Kobo Aura One is recognized by El Capitan on my Mac. I just have the quirky left versus right USB port issue that johnnyb mentioned.
I'm on Sierra OS