Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #46
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I'm not so bothered by the new home to rollback to an older firmware, but for me it's less efficient, yes, the menu is nice as you can navigate from anywhere to what you need, but I usually did a two step navigation: home -> tile with a recent book or collection, as in the home page I kept my most frequent choices: recent books and two collections (Reading and To be read). Now it's a three step navigation: Menu -> Collections -> The collection I want.
It would be useful to be able to manage a book collections from inside the book, so I can move a book to the proper collection when I begin reading it, and move it to the Read collection when I'm going to finish it.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
It would be useful to be able to manage a book collections from inside the book, so I can move a book to the proper collection when I begin reading it, and move it to the Read collection when I'm going to finish it.
You can do it. Bottom menu -> Reading Options -> Book details

From book details you can add a book to a collection and/or remove from other.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #48
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
¡¡¡¡Gracias!!!! Couldn't find it, not even following your steps, it seems I've different configuration, but after going up and down through the menus I've found it.
When I'm reading the book, I go to the bottom menu, and I've have direct access to Book Details. There is a button to "Read Now" and beside the button Three dots to access another menu, and voila, the "Add to collection" access is there. Probably it's been there for a lot of time and didn't notice it, pretty handy.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #49
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
¡¡¡¡Gracias!!!! Couldn't find it, not even following your steps, it seems I've different configuration, but after going up and down through the menus I've found it.
When I'm reading the book, I go to the bottom menu, and I've have direct access to Book Details. There is a button to "Read Now" and beside the button Three dots to access another menu, and voila, the "Add to collection" access is there. Probably it's been there for a lot of time and didn't notice it, pretty handy.
Not so much, 3.9 or something like that, not before, probably around the time the Aura One appeared.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #50
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
One further shortcoming of the new home screen - I sideload all books onto my reader using Calibre, and with the old screen, new books that I had recently added showed up on the home screen. The new home screen doesn't show them - I have to go to My Books, and change the sort to Recent or Date Added.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #51
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I feel like a heretic or sellout. I used to be one of the "non-approving" of the old new home screen. But now, with the new new home screen, I don't mind it at all, as others have said. The vast majority of my screen, so far, is all mine, dedicated to my own books/collections/previews, with my reading stats underneath. I really don't miss the random hodgepodge of dismissable squares.

The new quick access menu is an improvement, I find definitely worth while.

Ideally, the home screen would be completely configurable and personalizable, but if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need.
I'm certain I would gradually come to accept the new home screen were it foisted upon me. Fortunately this forum has provided me the means to stick to the older home screen that I love, so I get to keep the older features like latest books added, annotations at a glance, multiple collections. One man's random hodge podge is another man's carefully curated desktop
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I'm certain I would gradually come to accept the new home screen were it foisted upon me. Fortunately this forum has provided me the means to stick to the older home screen that I love, so I get to keep the older features like latest books added, annotations at a glance, multiple collections. One man's random hodge podge is another man's carefully curated desktop
With the new firmware, there no longer is the old home screen. So someday you will be giving up the old home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #53
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the new firmware, there no longer is the old home screen. So someday you will be giving up the old home screen.
That assumes, of course, that the person will eventually be updating to the newer firmware.

It is entirely possible to remain with an older version of the firmware which allows one to keep the old home screen. And I seem to recall that it is also possible to patch it so that it doesn't update to the newer firmware when connecting to the internet.

That all said, I am living quite happily with the new home screen on my KA1 despite my earlier misgivings to adopt it. And the only reason I have the old home screen and old firmware on my original Aura is because, for some reason, it was making a mess of Chinese ebooks on the new firmware... thus necessitating a rollback.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #54
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am still on 3.16.0 (released June 2015 ), JSW. As Question Mark mentioned, it is patched to prevent auto updating of the firmware.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #55
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Thumbs up

I'd like to add another vote for the new Home screen.

I like that finished books leave the home screen.
I like the Browse at the bottom. It makes it easy to check for new library books once I've finished a book.
I like that I can set a book to finished since I am always accidentally opening books and I would have to go into the library to get them off the home screen.
I like the new menu and I like the larger icons.

I was OK with the old Home screen but I have found that for me, the new screen is more usefull after only a few days of use.
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #56
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
That assumes, of course, that the person will eventually be updating to the newer firmware.

It is entirely possible to remain with an older version of the firmware which allows one to keep the old home screen.
And that's where I'm at and where I'll stay, at 4.3.8966 so I'll never get stuck with the new homescreen. I might actually go back further if I can figure out where search stopped working on all books.

As I purchase all my books through my PC only and then sideload them to my readers, I can forever avoid updating to the new homescreen. Wifi is always off for me, I don't even use the browser through my ereader (it's just too painful, I really don't see why anyone would other than a dire emergency).

So it's very possible and extremely easy to avoid it for those of us who really dislike the new homescreen.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #57
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
After a month of testing I like more the new new home screen after patching the firmware.

- I like the new top menu bar, the icons (wifi, battery...) and the left menu that give a fast access to most of the reader features.

- I like four books covers, and the long press options, show details, add to collections, marks as unread and marks as finished.

- I would like that the second row split in three and show My books, Authors and collections.

- I don't use the footer, I patch and rename the left footer button.
The right footer button have 6 setting on my Kobo Glo that change randomly every time the home screen is open: Pocket, Wishlist, Related Reads, Categories, Reading Stats and User Guide .
I only like Reading Stats and want it only to show on home screen.

Last edited by oren64; 06-09-2017 at 01:01 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #58
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
After a month of testing I like more the new new home screen after patching the firmware.

The right footer button have 6 setting on my Kobo Glo that change randomly every time the home screen is open: Pocket, Wishlist, Related Reads, Categories, Reading Stats and User Guide .
I only like Reading Stats and want it only to show on home screen.
I opened the User Guide to see whether it gave tips on the new home screen, but it describes the old one - Kobo pushing an old User Guide on a device with a brand new UI...
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I opened the User Guide to see whether it gave tips on the new home screen, but it describes the old one - Kobo pushing an old User Guide on a device with a brand new UI...
Maybe not. That depends on what firmware you'd get if you did a factory reset.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #60
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
When you initially update to the firmware that introduces the new homescreen for everyone, you're given a few tips. Though it's done as a pop up that I'm sure most people just dismiss.

I believe Kobo could have introduced a new user guide in this firmware, since it's clearly installed by the restoration firmware used with a factory reset. I'm not sure why they did not choose to do this.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote