Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

Battery life: Kindle v Sony Reader?

I know the battery life for the kindle with wireless on is terrible, but how does it compare to the Sony with wireless off? Also, how much does using a sd-card/memory stick affect the battery life?
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
my sony 500 is still going strong battery wise i read a couple hours aday and its been a little over a month since battery needed to be charged.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
noxxle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skwerl View Post
my sony 500 is still going strong battery wise i read a couple hours aday and its been a little over a month since battery needed to be charged.
Wow, that is impressive. Most of the posts I've read from Reader owners say that their battery lasts 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by noxxle; 05-15-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can only think that the poster does a full shutdown of the Sony at the end of a reading session. The battery certainly won't last a month if you leave the machine running.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
noxxle
Enthusiast

From what I can gather on these forums, the Sony lasts about 3 weeks with moderate use, while the Kindle will only last about a week (wireless off). However, the reports of Kindle's battery life don't specify whether a Sd Card was being used, which apparently can really suck the life out of either device.
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
No I never leave it on I always shut it down when I'm done reading with it.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We haven't noticed a difference in battey life on the Kindle since adding an sd card, only when the wireless is on.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
From what I can gather on these forums, the Sony lasts about 3 weeks with moderate use, while the Kindle will only last about a week (wireless off). However, the reports of Kindle's battery life don't specify whether a Sd Card was being used, which apparently can really suck the life out of either device.
Using an SD card really shouldn't have a significant impact on battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I find I get longer battery life in my 505 with the memory stick out than when it's in.

As above, I get about three weeks with moderate use. That's without doing the full shutdown.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
noxxle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I find I get longer battery life in my 505 with the memory stick out than when it's in.

As above, I get about three weeks with moderate use. That's without doing the full shutdown.
And how much do you get with the stick in?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I get a week with light wireless use. I don't think I've ever gone a week with absolutely no wireless use. If I were going to be a week away from any power outlets, I think I'd buy a solar charger.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #12
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I get a couple of weeks out of my 505, reading a few hours every other day.

All my content is on SD card.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Like Megatron-UK, I get about two weeks with the memory stick in.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skwerl View Post
No I never leave it on I always shut it down when I'm done reading with it.
Is this a good habit to get into? Or is it a pain when starting it up again each time?
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
Is this a good habit to get into? Or is it a pain when starting it up again each time?
My opinion... don't worry about it. So what if you have to charge it every 7 days instead of every 10. My feeling about battery life for both my Sony and Kindle... it more than good enough... I charge them when they get low. Both can be read while charging if absolutley necessary. As a matter of fact, you can't even turn of the 500 without some funky gyrations.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote