Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
blunznwurscht
blunznwurscht began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Reader
Question Should I wait for the new Astak device?

Hallo,
please excuse my bad englisch, I am from Austria.

So here is my question: Would you suggest me to wait until the 9.7'' mentor device from Astak has been released? I am a Student of Computer Science and have a lot of technical book is PDF format. I also would like to take some notes. So the Astak device seems to the perfect solution for me.

What is your opinion?
blunznwurscht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunznwurscht View Post
Hallo,
please excuse my bad englisch, I am from Austria.

So here is my question: Would you suggest me to wait until the 9.7'' mentor device from Astak has been released? I am a Student of Computer Science and have a lot of technical book is PDF format. I also would like to take some notes. So the Astak device seems to the perfect solution for me.

What is your opinion?
Once again... up to you. Looks like it won't be till the Holidays though that the 9.7 inch will be out. (No, I'm just guess based on what they are saying.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It probably won't be sold until August or September.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
blunznwurscht

Well, that release Date would be just fine. :-)
Are there already some prototypes being tested by some users from this forum?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
"Blunznwurscht" - what a spectacular nickname ROFL
I would consider the new iLiad Ebook Edition, should be available at justread.de soon.

And... hello fellow Austrian
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I don't expect the 9.7 device to be on the market until September. But once they are out, we will try to get them aswell. The ceap 5inch could be interesting aswell, but its not been in production either yet, as far as i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
I would consider the new iLiad Ebook Edition, should be available at justread.de soon.
We have it in our shop already and stock should arrive on Wednesday. Oh and the iLiad V2 is now only 599,-
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
blunznwurscht

I just decided to wait until september. The new semester at the university will sart in october. So that would be perfect. I just hope that the quality of that Ebook Reader is going to be good (anyone experience with Astak Producta?)

@KoopaOne
Servus. Von wo aus Österreich bist du?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

I just read on their Homepage, that the 9.7 is supposed to be available in October.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
blunznwurscht

Could you send me the link to that announcement please? Or post it here?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunznwurscht View Post
Could you send me the link to that announcement please? Or post it here?
There is an announcment right on their front page. http://astak.com/

It doesn't say anything about eReader or Mobipocket support though. I thought the Astak rep in another thread had said that they secured an eReader contract and were working on Mobi. However, I am wondering since it is a CE device if you will be able to install the WinCE versions of those readers right from their web sites?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Mobipocket only grants exclusive rights, so no official device with mobipocket and another format will be available i guess.

And here it says October: http://www.astak.com/e-book.html
Read the penultimate paragraph.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
I can't help wondering if the Bookeen Cybook can eventually be (re-)flashed with the Astak WinCE firmware........

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The ASTAK device has a touch-screen, does it not? What would be the use of reflashing the firmware of a device which relies on touch-screen input to a device which doesn't have a touch-screen, even supposing it were to be technically feasible?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The ASTAK device has a touch-screen, does it not? What would be the use of reflashing the firmware of a device which relies on touch-screen input to a device which doesn't have a touch-screen, even supposing it were to be technically feasible?
Touchscreen is optional. And so is WiFi. No price announced for those machines yet.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Right. The 6" Astak device is clearly some form of clone of the Bookeen device made by Netronix. So that version of WinCE may be compatible.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak, mentor