Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #1321
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@rjh4242: The most common reason I have seen for books not matching is when they have multiple authors. The way that calibre writes the authors to the metadata is different to how the Kobo device is expecting it. Calibre put each author in a separate "creator" metadata item, but the device only reads the first of these. Then, when calibre does the matching, it only fails because there is only one author.

For books already on the device, pretty much all you can do is match them one at a time. Of course, that's not practical for 1500 books. Or, at least, I'm not going to do it But, once you have the books matched, you can use this metadata update function of this plugin to set the authors properly on the device.

What you could do is use the metadata plugboard to set the author how the device likes it. From some experimenting, Kobo seems to think multiple authors should look like:

Code:
FN1 LN1, FN2 LN2, FN3 LN3
If you set the author in the metadata plugboard for whichever of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver you use, the multiple authors will be set correctly when the device processes the books:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
This seems to work on the device and to match with calibre. But, I have only just tried it today with about 10 books. There might be something else wrong.

With this, the simplest thing to do is remove the unmatched books that should have multiple authors and send them to the device again.

There are probably other reasons for the books not to match. But, the above should fix a lot. Once you have you can look at what the other problems are. For me, most of the other mismatches I see are for books I've purchased from Kobo. In these cases, it is the titles as the series information is frequently in the title and that doesn't match what I have in the calibre library.

And Jon: Why not?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 AM   #1322
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want 4500 books on the go?
Because I can.

It's my device and I can do what I want with it. (sung to the tune of "It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To").
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #1323
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Because I can.

It's my device and I can do what I want with it. (sung to the tune of "It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To").
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #1324
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Marvin 3 on iPad/iPhone
Matching books

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@rjh4242: The most common reason I have seen for books not matching is when they have multiple authors.
Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me. I'll do some testing and see if that's the issue.

Quote:
Why do you want 4500 books on the go?
There are lots of reasons, actually. I travel a lot, and I prefer to have my whole library on the device so I don't have to spend lots of time deciding what to add/remove before every trip. I often re-read old favourites on the spur of the moment, or things I randomly find in my library that I haven't read for a while. I regularly get through 2 or 3 books a day, and I get itchy when I don't have anything I feel like reading available. My old Kindle Paperwhite irritated me as I could only get 500 or so books on it before it slowed down, so I had to constantly add and remove things. The Kobo is a new device and I wanted to see what it could do. It's a good backup for my library (which before you ask is already backed up in various places anyway...) And of course, because it's my library and I can if I want to!
rjh4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #1325
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Because I can.

Just don't put kepub on the memory card or you'll be rescanning the memory card due to a firmware bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #1326
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just don't put kepub on the memory card or you'll be rescanning the memory card due to a firmware bug.
And for the record of anyone who finds this in the distant future. The bug is in firmware 4.5.9587. Hopefully it will be fixed before the next release.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-25-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #1327
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
But only if you shut down you ereader, so keep it sleeping at most
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #1328
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Is this documented anywhere? When will we know if the next firmware has actually fixed the bug? I'm new to Kobo so hints on what to keep an eye on would be very helpful. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #1329
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh4242 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Is this documented anywhere? When will we know if the next firmware has actually fixed the bug? I'm new to Kobo so hints on what to keep an eye on would be very helpful. Thanks again.
Yeah, it's documented in this thread a few posts up. The way to know if the next firmware fixes this bug is to install it and test it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #1330
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh4242 View Post
In the Kobo forum here, whenever new firmware is released, there will be a thread opened to discuss the changes. Problems like this are usually discussed there.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #1331
rjh4242
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, it's documented in this thread a few posts up. The way to know if the next firmware fixes this bug is to install it and test it.
Quote:
In the Kobo forum here, whenever new firmware is released, there will be a thread opened to discuss the changes. Problems like this are usually discussed there.
Great, thanks. I will keep an eye on this forum from now on.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #1332
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I do most of my reading now on a KA1. What's a memory card?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #1333
Kinga76
Kinga76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I update my Glo to 4.5.9587 yesterday and I have problems with updating percentage of reading books, it's not changing.Kobo shows the change afrer reading. I didn't change anything in Calibre and KoboUtilities. Any ideas what should I chack?
Kinga76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #1334
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinga76 View Post
I update my Glo to 4.5.9587 yesterday and I have problems with updating percentage of reading books, it's not changing.Kobo shows the change afrer reading. I didn't change anything in Calibre and KoboUtilities. Any ideas what should I chack?
What exactly are you doing? I think you are doing the store of the reading status, but, you could be trying to restore to the device.

If it is the store, are you doing this manually, or using the automatic job? Do you get a message showing that no changes were found? Is calibre showing the book that you have been reading as on the device?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #1335
Kinga76
Kinga76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
If it is the store, are you doing this manually, or using the automatic job? Do you get a message showing that no changes were found? Is calibre showing the book that you have been reading as on the device?
I Had a problem with books on my sd card, so I did a factory reset and get back to FW 4.3.9084 so now Calibre shows books stored on the SD card when I connect my Kobo but doesn't the reading stats.
Kinga76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities