Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Fire + Hotmail = Fail!

I have made multiple attempts at adding a Hotmail account with both the stock email app and the standalone Hotmail for Kindle Fire app recently released. Each and every time the setup fails with a message that there is an "invalid email address or password." Impossible. I can login, via four different web browsers, on the Fire, Xoom, my phone, two desktops and two laptops with no problem whatsoever.

It is not a matter of entering the information incorrectly - I've attempted it now 15 times in both applications with the same error.

I did not have any problem when I originally setup a Gmail and a Yahoo! account.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? I've already cleared all the data in the stock app (as well as the standalone) and re-entered data with the same failed result with Hotmail.

Pulling my hair out with this one!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have made multiple attempts at adding a Hotmail account with both the stock email app and the standalone Hotmail for Kindle Fire app recently released. Each and every time the setup fails with a message that there is an "invalid email address or password." Impossible. I can login, via four different web browsers, on the Fire, Xoom, my phone, two desktops and two laptops with no problem whatsoever.

It is not a matter of entering the information incorrectly - I've attempted it now 15 times in both applications with the same error.

I did not have any problem when I originally setup a Gmail and a Yahoo! account.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? I've already cleared all the data in the stock app (as well as the standalone) and re-entered data with the same failed result with Hotmail.

Pulling my hair out with this one!
Try changing your password if it has punctuation in it that the Fire has issues with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Try changing your password if it has punctuation in it that the Fire has issues with.
No punctuation. No go with either stock or the new standalone app (which I want to use!).
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Skydog, I don't have a Fire, so I can't test anything for you, but I found this information regarding Hotmail and Kindle Fire here:

Quote:
I've spent hours trying to get my Kindle Fire working with accounts I have on Gmail and Hotmail. I've discovered two very important things that I thought might help the next person from wasting hours and hours.

1) I initially was setting up my Fire email app using the wi-fi at my office where the company provides free wi-fi. Apparently, they had some settings not quite compatible with setting up the Fire because as soon as I tried the setup on my wi-fi at home - that fixed most all issues I was having. So ... one suggestion is: if you're setting up your email through wi-fi and are having problems, try a different wi-fi location.

2) I discovered that the "standard server settings" shown by most help pages, including Amazon's (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1992367&sr=1-1) show the wrong security type for Gmail's outbound server. Amazon recommends SSL(always). However, that never worked for me. Finally, I happened on a website that showed the outbound security should be set to TLS(always) and that fixed my problem instantly.

3) My working settings for Hotmail's Inbound Server:
Username = your FULL Hotmail email address, which includes the "@hotmail.com"
Password: XXXXXX (enter your personal password)
POP3 server: pop3.live.om
Security Type: SSL (always)
Authentication Type: PLAIN
Port: 995

4) My working settings for Hotmail's Outbound Server:
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security type: TLS(always)
Port: 587
Require sign-in checked.
Authentication type: AUTOMATIC
Username = your FULL Hotmail email address, which includes the "@hotmail.com"
Password: XXXXXX (enter your personal password)

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 09:16 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No punctuation. No go with either stock or the new standalone app (which I want to use!).
Okay try change to a simple lowercase password temporary see if you can get in then.

It could also be a username issue are you putting in the entire email address or only the first half?

I never use the app so I don't know what log in screen looks like.

Someone posted on Amazon password has to be shorter then 16 characters.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard

@DreamWriter - thank you, I have read that same post but I think it only pertains to the stock app and not the new standalone. In either case, the solution does not work (for me).

@Blossom - I've already tried using a partial address and the full address and it makes no difference. I've also already performed a password change. In regard to any restriction on password length, it should not be an issue with the full-featured Hotmail for Kindle Fire App. (standalone) Besides, it is less than the 16 characters you mention.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
johnpoz
johnpoz is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle fire
I don't have a @hotmail.com account - but I do have a @live.com account which is same thing. And I had no problems with adding it my KF. Its listed under the builtin email app along with my 2 gmail accounts.

Just clicked add and then the hotmail button and put in the info.
johnpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot, Blossom!

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I use the hotmail app with my fire and my android smart phone and have not had any issues.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpoz View Post
I don't have a @hotmail.com account - but I do have a @live.com account which is same thing. And I had no problems with adding it my KF. Its listed under the builtin email app along with my 2 gmail accounts.

Just clicked add and then the hotmail button and put in the info.
I guess you haven't read the entire thread.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
This was the problem for me! My Hotmail password was longer than 16 characters. After I shortened it (to 14 characters), the stock mail app accepted it. I was able to use capital letters and symbols in the password. I followed the Windows Live instructions (link posted above), and it looks like everything's set up properly now.

Thanks a lot, Blossom!
But what exactly was the error you saw when you could not successfully enter the info? Was it "incorrect email and/or password" or something else?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This was the problem for me! My Hotmail password was longer than 16 characters. After I shortened it (to 14 characters), the stock mail app accepted it. I was able to use capital letters and symbols in the password. I followed the Windows Live instructions (link posted above), and it looks like everything's set up properly now.

Thanks a lot, Blossom!
Very welcome!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
But what exactly was the error you saw when you could not successfully enter the info? Was it "incorrect email and/or password" or something else?
The error message was "incorrect email and/or password" (or similar wording).

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
The error message was "incorrect email and/or password" (or similar wording). Once I shortened the Hotmail password and followed these instructions, the stock email app worked! I'm now getting notifications when an email is received.

I'm so glad that Blossom shared the solution that she read! I had tried numerous times to get the stock email app to work with Hotmail when I first got my tablets. Nothing I tried would make it work (not even those instructions on the linked web page). So I had given up and moved on.

In my case, it was definitely the length of the password that was causing the issue. I hope you'll be able to figure it out too!
Thank you -- so glad to hear you are up and running! I'll email support.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Thank you -- so glad to hear you are up and running! I'll email support.
Please let us know whether you find a solution to the problem. If not, maybe someone here can come up with another suggestion. You might want to try a different wifi connection, since that seemed to work for the person that I quoted above.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.