Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I see it as dead even between the Fire and the New Nook Color.
My Fire has been completely doused. Double the RAM, double the storage, SD slot, faster CPU is worth 50 bucks to me with zero qualms. I'll hold back til Xmas to make sure there aren't massive hardware defects and that the XDA gang can hack it (and for Albertson's to kick in with the 20% off 100 dollar gift cards they do every Xmas--that'll cut 40 bucks off the price).

It looks like a winner to me (though I suspect the Amazon tab will still crush it in the marketplace)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I see it as dead even between the Fire and the New Nook Color.
Why does one have to beat the other? Can we not have two successful LCD ereader/tablets?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Why does one have to beat the other? Can we not have two successful LCD ereader/tablets?
We can, but still each of us must choose which one we are going to buy.
I only said that on a value basis it was about even. The Nook is about $50 more than the Fire but it also offers about $50 more in hardware value.

If the hardware value isn't important, then the Fire is the one to go with.
If you need the hardware (more storage, SD slot) then the Nook is the one.

That is just on the basis of the machine itself.

After that you are choosing the company and its services and it is Barnes & Noble versus Amazon. I would pick Amazon myself. Other people like Barnes & Noble.

I hope both succeed because competition brings out better products.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Unless there is something else, I won't buy either.
One significant difference for those who care about privacy is that, unlike Amazon which will monitor your use -- where you shop, what you buy -- the Nook Tablet will not. Although I am not ready to buy one of these devices, being perfectly satisfied with my Sony 950, I would gladly pay the extra $50 just for freedom from Silk and Amazon monitoring.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
It's not quite as fast as the Nook but the jump rom 512 to 1g isn't that huge of a difference. More storage is nice, but you can expand. I have 32g card in my phone and have the thing loaded with content and still have room. So, I think 8 or 16g probably won't matter much to most people. I have a hunch most people won't use up the 8g or space (depending on how much is free to begin with).
Yep, I've never filled my Kindle up ... nor my Xoom...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
...I would gladly pay the extra $50 just for freedom from Silk and Amazon monitoring.
You are not REQUIRED to use Silk and even if you do you can turn off the Amazon Cloud Caching.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
The Nook Tablet is definitely tempting, but I want to know how walled up B&N will make it, how much of that storage (as someone pointed out) will be for B&N stuff only. I have to say, though, I'm very impressed with B&N's retaliation to the Fire. I think the $50 more is definitely worth it. It beats anything at that price mark - IF it can be dual booted, rooted, or B&N is more open about letting you sideload what apps you want.

I've played with an NC for a day, and I don't know, the interface didn't click with me. Of course, a custom ROM solves that. I'd rather have a device I don't have to mess with rooting, but at that price point and hardware, it might be worth it. Hmm ...
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It really is a question of how walled the device is. I don't root or hack things. I am not that adventerous. I think that the object should work for me out of the box.

The Fire is begining to interest me because I like Amazon's cloud service and can see myself buying movies through Amazon and storing them on the cloud and then watching them on a Fire, my computer, and my TV sets. I have become disillusioned with Netflix and may be dropping its service. I have never used Hulu and don't see myself using it in the future so those are not selling points for me.

I do like the memory card slot but I am less worried about that then most folks. If I can download 10-15 movies on the Fire before flying for 18 hours, I will be good to go. I plan on reading on my Kindle, prefer the e-ink the the LCD, so I don't worry about storing books. The Amazon App store sells the Apps I am interested in.

If the Nook needs to be rooted then I am not interested. I know I can get access to what I want through Amazon, so I am not worried about that.

And then I ask myself about buying a tablet for a bit more, getting better functionality, a bigger screen, and a memory card slot.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I'd rather have a device I don't have to mess with rooting,...
Bingo.

I thought about the Nook Color and actually came close to getting one. Then the Fire was announced. I didn't want to mess with Rooting. There didn't seem to be a lot of stock B&N apps available. Plus Amazon's CS is great and they already have the eco system in place. And it seems to be just getting better. I do wish it had a SD card on it, but I'm not going to keep music on it. I have my phone for that. I probably won't keep movies on it either. If I do it would be just one or two for travel. I might like the instant video streaming.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I thought about the Nook Color and actually came close to getting one. Then the Fire was announced. I didn't want to mess with Rooting. There didn't seem to be a lot of stock B&N apps available. Plus Amazon's CS is great and they already have the eco system in place.
I don't mind rooting to get a better device and NC2 is definitely better than the Fire hardware wise. A rooted NC2 will have full access to Amazon's ecosystem, B&N's ecosystem, and Google's ecosystem.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am going to wait for the next new nooks and next new kindles after these new nooks and new kindles.

I need a reason to buy something. So far no one has given me one.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
kennyc

I'm anxious to hear about the next bigger? Kindle fire - 9"? 10"?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
avariel
Connoisseur
avariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One difference Amazon's new line up made is on price, in September from The Digital Reader: The Encore is the Nook Color and the Acclaim the Nook Tablet. It isn't unusual for prices to change before a product is released, but a $100 drop in price is gong to cut into the per tablet profit.

The Smart Touch is their internal name for the Simple Touch, and I wonder if they are doing any more than breaking even on the Simple Touch at $99. This is probably the best deal on 6" EInk readers in the US.
The Nook Tablet is the Nook Encore. The Nook Acclaim has yet to be announced.
avariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by avariel View Post
The Nook Tablet is the Nook Encore. The Nook Acclaim has yet to be announced.
I'd concur.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A rooted NC2 will have full access to Amazon's ecosystem, B&N's ecosystem, and Google's ecosystem.
This is exactly why I will be upgrading my Nook Color to a NC2. It currently takes me about 15 minutes to root a NC now. Which basically means in 15 minutes I have unlocked the device but I can keep the curtains it comes with. I love the stock OS. I love it even more with access to all the Android content.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote