Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
What is your most expensive ebook?

Namely, the most that you've ever paid for an ebook? (above $15, let's say)

And if you've paid a LOT for an ebook - why?

My most expensive ebook to date is Badger by naturalist Tim Roper. It's a natural history of the Eurasian badger Meles meles, and incorporates some fascinating recent research on badger characteristics and behaviour.

It costs a whopping (to me) $32.85 on Amazon.com. It's also available to Britons for roughly the same amount, £19.99 on Amazon.co.uk.

Why did I buy it? I love the British badger, it's my favourite animal, and I also love natural history
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I paid $12.99 but that was a long time ago. I usually wait till they drop below $6 now.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Ahoy matey; I have hundreds of ebooks and never paid for any of them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

$9.99 Leviathan - Scott Westerfield at Amazon.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
99.9% of mine are $8, trying to figure out how to get them for less then that. There is an odd ball ocasionally at $10.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Wouddn't know. Probably some $20 or so. If I want a book and that book is for sale, I'll buy that book.

Oh, beside posting what was the highest price, also post the price of an average pbook, which is around $20 here...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
6.99 for Pillars of the Earth.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
$29.99 for Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years. I had bought the book in hardcover when it was released, but it was so thick (1200 pages) that it continued to sit in my to-be-read pile. I finally decided to buy it electronically in hopes that I would actually muddle through the book. I've started it, but it isn't an easy read, so I'm glad I bought the duplicate ebook version as it is easier to read it in ebook form a few pagesw at a time.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have paid $15 for four books on the day that they were released. Why? Because I wanted to read them on the day that they were released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I paid somewhere around 17USD for The Mission Song by John le Carré and about the same for Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo back when they first came out . However, that wasn't so bad because Fictionwise was having a 100% micropay rebate. Both were very good books, too.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
£20 for Lord of the Rings. Love the book, besides the UK isn't as cheap as the US so expect to pay for a few books above what I'd like, and the book's worth it..
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have paid 15€ (about $20) for a French e-book. That's a pretty standard price, which explains why I mostly buy e-books in English

I also paid £9 ($15) for the Penguin edition of Ulysses, which turned out to be so full of OCR errors that I read the free MR version instead.

I hate European prices.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 02-23-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typos
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
If it counts - I paid about $140 USD for a textbook. It is for my law class and I needed it to enlarge the font. The one in the pbook was so tiny!

Not going to make it a habit, because I prefer to re-sell my textbooks. But, my old eyes are sure happier (and, I got to use the book over two semesters...).

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
$12.99 for Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
OnceAWolf
OnceAWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, android, ipad...
$20.00 For The Lost Symbol (for the 100% micropay rebate)
OnceAWolf is offline   Reply With Quote