Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Can Calibre viewer emulate a device's display?

Is there any way to get the Calibre viewer to display an epub file in exactly the way it will look on a particular device?

In my particular case, I want to create some epub files for use with a Nook. After I do this, naturally I want to know how they will look on the Nook, but it would be much easier for me if I could use the Calibre viewer to find out, instead of sending them to the Nook to find out.

Back in the day, when I was developing some software for the Palm Pilot, you could run a Windows Pilot emulation program and see on the PC screen exactly how the display would look on the Pilot. It even had a simulated device skin around it, so screen snapshots looked like you photographed the Pilot itself.

I don't care so much about an exact simulation like that, but it would be nice to preview the look on the Nook without sending it to the Nook.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - the Calibre viewer is effectively a device in its own right and not necessarily identical in rendering to any other device. It can give you an idea but there are likely to be small differences. Your best chance is to get the B&N reading program for the PC - I do not know how fauthfully it emulates the Nook but it is likely to be closer than the Calibre viewer.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the Nook for PC B&N program and it does not really emulate the physical Nook either. It seems much like the Calibre viewer, except that it allows you to control your B&N DRM purchases.

I think that this is an area that is ripe for some development. An extension of Calibre to allow its viewer (or a separate tool) to emulate various devices would help folks convert their files to epub format and check the results quickly. Especially if you want to convert to multiple epub versions for different devices, this could be very useful for developers, IMHO.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have tried the Nook for PC B&N program and it does not really emulate the physical Nook either. It seems much like the Calibre viewer, except that it allows you to control your B&N DRM purchases.

I think that this is an area that is ripe for some development. An extension of Calibre to allow its viewer (or a separate tool) to emulate various devices would help folks convert their files to epub format and check the results quickly. Especially if you want to convert to multiple epub versions for different devices, this could be very useful for developers, IMHO.
IMHO , there are too many ereaders for the understaffed, under-volunteered Calibre project to even consider trying to provide this level of support, which goes beyond the level of support provided by the manufacturers of those devices.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
RAH
Guru

I didn't mean to imply that the Calibre developers are lazy and shiftless. I was just thinking it would be a nice addition to the program. No criticism meant. I think it is a great program and very much appreciate the work that has gone into it.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I didn't mean to imply that the Calibre developers are lazy and shiftless. I was just thinking it would be a nice addition to the program. No criticism meant. I think it is a great program and very much appreciate the work that has gone into it.
I didn't take it as criticism. It would be nice, but it's a feature I think more properly belongs to the device developer to implement. They know what their device does and how it works. Calibre volunteers don't. It would be a lot of work to build one emulator, which is probably why there don't seem to be any, even from the people who sell the devices. The thought that Calibre developers could do it for all the devices out there just seems close to impossible.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
RAH
Guru

Yes, I see what you mean. Thinking back to the Palm Pilot development tool, it was developed by Palm, if I remember correctly. So, as you say, they knew very well how their device displayed data.