Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #106
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I tried to make a version of my font-tester eBook with the embedded Cambria font, but when I did this I noticed that the version of Cambria that I had (it came with Powerpoint viewer) only sports a cambria.ttc file (not .ttf).
Maybe that's why it didn't work ? Because it didn't
Has anyone got a TTF or OTF version of Cambria so I can try ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have Cambria in .ttf. It came from MS with maybe the Office 2007 viewer. Not 100% sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #108
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

In fact the .ttc file is a "true type font collection" ; it can be broken up using breakttc, and using this I generated a valid .ttf file.

The attached font-text ebook show up the Cambria font, and I'm pretty sure it works : I uploaded it to my 505, and judging by the 'y' and 'j' letter shapes I think it shows up the proper font.

Hope this helps,
David.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jeffrey A. Carver - Battlestar Galactica - Cambria.epub (1.36 MB, 502 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The italics look like the normal font slanted.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #110
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
JSWolf is right--the italics aren't coming through. When I unzipped the package, all the fonts but the main one were named in all caps. So it's probably a case-sensitivity issue. Either rename the font files to use the same cases as referenced in the stylesheet, or change the cases of the font files referenced in the stylesheet.

It's harder to tell if it's actually using the bold font or just fattening up the roman. I suspect the latter.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have fixed it to use the correct fonts. Also, I have removed the font size declaration which made the text too small. So this is now correct.

After seeing this, I have decided that Cambria is not a good for for a book.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jeffrey A. Carver - Battlestar Galactica - Cambria.epub (1.29 MB, 496 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-29-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #112
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Linux Libertine works well and looks good on the sony. Its a very professional font.

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Linux-Libertine

Are you sure you want to post a copyright book here JSWolf?

Another cool epub feature: if the font size is set to be read in "medium zoom" on the sony in portrait, the font appears at exactly the same size at "small zoom" in landscape mode.

Reflow FTW!

(btw this is not the case with LRF files)

Last edited by gregcd; 07-30-2009 at 09:46 PM.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Can you take a screen show using Linux Libertine please? Thanks.

I'll get a screen shot of Fontin for those that have not yet seen it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #114
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

My camera does have a macro mode, but thinking about it i reckon putting my reader on a flatbed scanner will have a better result!

Ill try it out
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 AM   #115
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

For the record, Battlestar Galactica is a (great) book by MobileRead's own Jeffrey A. Carver, which is available on his site, for free.

I'm pretty sure he will not mind me using his work for font testing, but just in case : Jeffrey if you're reading this and it bothers you, can you please jump in ?

In the meanwhile, here is a perfectly random book sporting the Liux Libertine font : Font tester _ LinuxLibertine - David Pierron.epub

Hope this helps,
David.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
My camera does have a macro mode, but thinking about it i reckon putting my reader on a flatbed scanner will have a better result!

Ill try it out
That is an interesting idea. I'll give it a go here and see how it scans. If it does not work well, then I'll just get out the camera.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 AM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
For the record, Battlestar Galactica is a (great) book by MobileRead's own Jeffrey A. Carver, which is available on his site, for free.

I'm pretty sure he will not mind me using his work for font testing, but just in case : Jeffrey if you're reading this and it bothers you, can you please jump in ?

In the meanwhile, here is a perfectly random book sporting the Liux Libertine font : Attachment 33331

Hope this helps,
David.
Is there a test book that uses italics?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #118
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Here you are : corrected font tester manually edited to include italic, bold, bold-italic, and small caps...

Hope this helps,
David.
Attached Files
File Type: epub FontTester-LinuxLibertine.epub (2.51 MB, 443 views)
File Type: epub FontTester-Base.epub (127.1 KB, 455 views)
Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #119
gregcd
Connoisseur

New flatbed scan

First scan is in of linux libertine:

The grey spidery mark near the middle top of the screen is permanent damage from where the slider from my jacket zip hit the screen

Also note the next page decal has been rubbed off! Its from about 7 months use.

Its 9pt at medium zoom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img-8031611-0001_1.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	33527  
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
First scan is in of linux libertine:

The grey spidery mark near the middle top of the screen is permanent damage from where the slider from my jacket zip hit the screen

Also note the next page decal has been rubbed off! Its from about 7 months use.

Its 9pt at medium zoom.
That is a lot better looking scan then I expected. Linux Libertine looks better then I thought it would.

Tags
epub, fonts