Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
Add same tag to every book in a library?

I have several different libraries, but very few of the books have any tags. What I want to do is add the same tag to every book in a library. I don't see how to do this in the Search & Replace dialog, since it won't let me leave the "Search for" field blank.

The main reason I'm trying to do this is that I want to use Calibre Companion on my tablet, and I often need to look through a library (sometimes with hundreds of entries) without knowing exactly what words are in the title or who the author is, so a simple search won't work. This is easy in Calibre, but Companion just throws all my books into one big pile, and it's harder to find things this way. I figure that if I add a tag to every book in a library, I can have Companion just show the books with those tags. If there's an easier way to do this, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can select the books you want tagged (manually or via the searchbar) and then drag those books onto a tag in the Tag Browser on the left.

You can also use the first tab in Bulk Edit Metadata (not the Search & Replace) to add a tag to all selected books.

Search & Replace performs an entirely different function.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Correct me if I am misuderstanding your question. Let's say, for example, you have three libraries named 1, 2, and 3. You want to tag all the books in 1 with the same tag (e.g. Lib1)?

You open Calibre & highlight all the books in Library 1. Click "Edit metadata". On my version of Calbre, there are two tabs: "basic metadata" and "search and replace". Above the tabs there should be a line stating: "Editing meta information fo xx books". Xx should be the total number of books in you library.

On the basic metadata tab, fill in the tag you want to use (i.e. Lib1 of my example) in the "Add tags" field. Click ok and Calibre should proceed to tag all the books.

Sorry if this isnt what you are asking.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Post 3 has the simple way to do this
Quick
Easy

And you remove a Tag, in bulk, using the next line down
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Post 3 has the simple way to do this
Quick
Easy

And you remove a Tag, in bulk, using the next line down
- and when you've done that you could merge your three physical libraries into one, and create three Virtual libraries based on the existence of the tag value, easier to manage and faster switching.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
Correct me if I am misuderstanding your question. Let's say, for example, you have three libraries named 1, 2, and 3. You want to tag all the books in 1 with the same tag (e.g. Lib1)?

You open Calibre & highlight all the books in Library 1. Click "Edit metadata". On my version of Calbre, there are two tabs: "basic metadata" and "search and replace". Above the tabs there should be a line stating: "Editing meta information fo xx books". Xx should be the total number of books in you library.

On the basic metadata tab, fill in the tag you want to use (i.e. Lib1 of my example) in the "Add tags" field. Click ok and Calibre should proceed to tag all the books.

Sorry if this isnt what you are asking.
Thank you--this is exactly what I needed! Thanks for the quick response!
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Youre welcome and good luck :-)
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulk, calibre, companion, library, tags