Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that came first shall we read for March?
The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang 10 43.48%
Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis 7 30.43%
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman 5 21.74%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway 11 47.83%
Despite the Falling Snow by Shamim Sarif 2 8.70%
Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith 7 30.43%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 3 13.04%
Before the Fact by Francis Iles 2 8.70%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 8 34.78%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 7 30.43%
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick 3 13.04%
Still Life (Chief Inspector Gamache #1) by Louise Penny 4 17.39%
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers 9 39.13%
The Body by Stephen King 6 26.09%
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the nonsense with regard to US copyright, it's very understandable if something gets missed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #77
recc
avid reader
recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad air
HarryT,

Thank you for the information about how this novel was originally published. None of the information I had found indicated that this was first published in a magazine rather than as a book, so I appreciate the clarification.

As you indicated, there is also a US copyright office database (the link is here, since you did not post it.) I did search that database, which brought up 123 entries for "The Old Man and the Sea" - not exactly a case of finding the renewal "immediately", which is why I used the Stanford database instead. With the information that you provided, I did go back to that database and did find the renewal for the serial publication.

Perhaps in the future you could simply post the relevant and helpful information, instead of criticizing those of us who are already "mindful of" copyright rules and are making a sincere effort to comply with them? (You have apparently now deleted some of the language in your original response to my post, so I cannot quote the phrasing that prompted this request). Thanks.
recc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #78
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nope. Not your job at all. It is, however, the job of the moderating team to check these things when the copyright status of a work has been called into question, and to advise you that this work is not in the US public domain.
You are the only one who called it into question, with a flat assertion that it absolutely could not be public domain--when clearly it could have been, depending on whether it was renewed.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #79
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just finished listening to The Story of Your Life and Others, it was very good and could have had a great discussion. Only one of the stories didn't really appeal to me.

I will read The Old Man and the Sea next and hope to complete it in time. I have had very little reading time lately. The one above took me almost 2 weeks to finish and is less than 300 pages.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 AM   #80
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I just finished listening to The Story of Your Life and Others, it was very good and could have had a great discussion. Only one of the stories didn't really appeal to me. [...]
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I keep hoping to hear that he has published more. In case you are interested, he has written a short (novelette? 30k words) called "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" that I haven't been able to get a hold of here; and a very good short story called "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" that I found in The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year Volume Eight edited by Jonathan Strahan. Wikipedia notes a few other shorts that I have not yet seen.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by recc View Post
As you indicated, there is also a US copyright office database (the link is here, since you did not post it.) I did search that database, which brought up 123 entries for "The Old Man and the Sea" - not exactly a case of finding the renewal "immediately".
The easy way to find it is to use the "Advanced Search" page, and search for a claimant name of "Hemingway". That gives you a list of results in alphabetical order of title, and you simply need to look at the "O" page of results to see "Old Man...". As you note, if you search by title, you get all sorts of extraneous stuff that people have written about the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #82
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I keep hoping to hear that he has published more. In case you are interested, he has written a short (novelette? 30k words) called "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" that I haven't been able to get a hold of here; and a very good short story called "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" that I found in The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year Volume Eight edited by Jonathan Strahan. Wikipedia notes a few other shorts that I have not yet seen.
The Lifecycle of Software Objects is available to read online here
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #83
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Copyright is *soo* much fun (not). My country has life+50 for some works published in certain countries. And “the publisher’s country’s rules” for other countries, but maximum life+70
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #84
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
The Lifecycle of Software Objects is available to read online[...]
Thanks for that. Very unexpected. It never occurred to me to look for it as freely available online. I assume this is intentional and correct ... but it seems very odd. There is no explicit declaration of public domain, nor mention of copyright at all.

I see they also have "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling"*. Which seems even stranger since it appeared in a definitely-not-public-domain ebook a year later (as noted above), and the copyright details for it are listed as:
Quote:
“The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling” by Ted Chiang. © Copyright 2013 by Ted Chiang. Originally published in Subterranean, Fall 2013. Reprinted by kind permission of the author.
Subterranean is that link you provided.

* I have intentionally not provided links so moderators have less to fix if there turns out to be anything dodgy going on. In the meantime you can see the website from latepaul's post.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #85
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fairly sure it's legit. Subterranean is I believe a reputable publisher. And publishers such as Tor have been known to post shorter works on their website.

ETA:
So it seems it originally appeared in the Fall 2010 edition of the Subterranean Press magazine.

Last edited by latepaul; 03-09-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add magazine links
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #86
latepaul
Wizard

Actually more recent editions of the magazines have download links for an epub and mobi versions rather than links to individual stories but the links don't appear to work for me.

e..g fall 2013 is the edition with "The Truth of Fact..." in it but the links give a 404 error.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #87
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

It certainly looks legit... but it also looks too good to be true (especially since the "The Lifecycle..." story is one I've been trying to get), so of course I'm suspicious. On that fall2013 link I get nowhere by clicking on the epub or mobi links, but I can read the short story by clicking on its title.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #88
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It looks like they are hosting the stories from their defunct magazine (the fall2013 webpage table of content for each magazine is composted of links). Links to the individual stories can be found at Free Speculative Fiction Online a site which avoids linking to pirate sites.

I see no reason to believe that they do not have the right to do this, they certainly are not the only sci-fi magazine to do so during this time period (this site has some good stuff https://internationalsf.wordpress.com/.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #89
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It's almost certainly too late for this warning but, if you haven't started this yet and haven't read the book before, skip the intro till after you read the book due to spoilers.

I have a Scribner published version with a simple picture of the ocean on the cover. The introduction is only a couple pages long but they felt they had to summarize a bit too much. Just because a book is a classic it doesn't mean that everyone has read it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #90
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Good warning. The FadedPage version doesn't have this, so I didn't see it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote