coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I am digging that test diary!
Droid font looks best, btw.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
I am digging that test diary!
Droid font looks best, btw.
Thanks!

Droid: I think so, too!!

If there are free fonts around that others want me to try, please let me know! No fantasy fonts, please!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Thanks!

Droid: I think so, too!!

If there are free fonts around that others want me to try, please let me know! No fantasy fonts, please!
Linux Libertine looks good.
You can also download "Microsoft Web Fonts" from many, many places (see the bottom of Wikipedia page) and try some of their fonts.
I have also found Grandesign Neue Serif.ttf - a nice slab serif.
I also like temporarium_regular.ttf but I did not find matching italics.

I have tried perhaps 30 fonts.
I found out, that you want to find a font that was designed as a ttf font.
I was able to get the famous Caecilia to play with a little - I used to do lots of professional desktop publishing. The problem was I got it in otf format. I converted it using FontForge, but the result on PocketBook screen was very disappointing. The font lost its hinting info in the conversion and I quickly returned to unconverted ttf fonts.
I have also tried a few versions of Garamond font, but it somehow did not look right on my screen.

Also see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_so..._Unicode_fonts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...type_designers
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try Georgia.
(The 4 font set is currently part of the standard Windows font load.)
It's a fairly dark serif font that is popular with a lot of readers. Me included.
Seems to work well on eink screens.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Try Georgia.
(The 4 font set is currently part of the standard Windows font load.)
It's a fairly dark serif font that is popular with a lot of readers. Me included.
Seems to work well on eink screens.
Georgia is NOT a free font, sorry!
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #21
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
mtravellerh,

Thanks for the review!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
mtravellerh
book creator

PDF: fiction and tech

So coming to this PDF posting I have been promising for 2 days now.

First:

PB firmware has two different apps to view PDFs: The imaginatively titled pdfviewer, an open source viewer and Adobe Reader that's part of ADE. The differences between those viewers are quite subtle but existant.

pdfviewer is fast for a PDF viewer (sorry, couldn't help myself there ), reliable and works great with fiction (some pictures are not rendered that well, especially technical ones)

Adobe Reader has been elegantly tweaked by the PB folks to work well on such a small acreage and behaves well, but sometimes needs a little time to think between pages (1-2 secs, especially with graphically heavy pages) and does not always do the margin cropping quite as good as the pdfviewer! You may freely choose between both of these apps for non DRMed files, Adobe Reader is the default, reader, though

Both apps have essentially 4 zoom options that can be fine tuned further.

1 Normal view:

This view begins with a 100% view of the centered page. PB does not try to cram one whole page on one screen, one just scrolls down to see the rest of the page (done with the navigational cross). A fine dotted line shows where the earlier view was limited. In this Normal view, you may increase or decrease the zoom percentage in 5 percent steps until the page looks right to you. PDF pages that are not reflowed are essentially scrolled, changing to the next page when the first page has been scrolled all the way down!

2 A zoomout option shows 4 or nine pages in a miniature way. You can navigate between those pages and open them to normal view.

3 A view where the side margins are entirely cropped. pdfviewer is faster to achieve this, Reader is sometimes a bit squeamish!

4 Reflow: Reflow works fine for both apps. As usual, pdfviewer is a bit faster, Reader includes pics better. Reflow retains the font and paragraphs of the original text, finer layout features are lost. In this view, the pages are turned normally. Gaps between pages may appear!

A fifth option lets you read PDFs with columned text column by column, zooming out the column text to screen width and jumping from the end of one column to the beginning of the second.

The zoom options and place are saved and maintained through the document.

I will upload here some more extreme tech texts that I downloaded from the Internet. These texts were formatted in a big format for a PC screen, so the size limits of the 360 are most apparent here. I think I found a very acceptable way to read those texts on the 5" screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Silverlight 1.png
Views:	561
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	40292Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Silverlight 2.png
Views:	523
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	40291
Normal landsape view (MS text on Silverlight)

Name:	Pro Silverlight 3.png
Views:	551
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	40290Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Silverlight 4.png
Views:	549
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	40289Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Silverlight 5.png
Views:	543
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	40288
Some more Silverlight with a Reflow screenshot mixed in

Name:	colors.png
Views:	564
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	40293
Of course, teachings on color are best read on the PC screen

Name:	notes 1.png
Views:	584
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	40295Click image for larger version

Name:	notes 2.png
Views:	507
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	40294

I chose those PDFs according to Midnight Run's suggestions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=50

On the german part of my diary, I have uploaded some screenshots from a randomly chosen PDF fiction book (The Brass Bed, freely available from Suvudu) Here the 360 really shines:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=63

And a few column shots:

Name:	damned fool.png
Views:	555
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	40299Click image for larger version

Name:	fools column.png
Views:	554
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	40300

Random text from Pulpgen (no I do NOT hate women!) http://www.pulpgen.com
Sorry for the really disgustingly appalling font

Name:	rgr 54.png
Views:	560
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	40297Click image for larger version

Name:	rgr 54 column.png
Views:	512
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	40298
Ray Gun Revival 54 (I absolutely positively love that free mag)
freely downloadable at: www.raygunrevival.com All 54 mags full of space opera glory!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-28-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:14 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, Georgia is one of the fonts in the
Core fonts for the Web package (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web) that Microsoft released.
I mentioned this package in one of my previous posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The project was terminated in August 2002, allegedly due to frequent EULA violations.[1] However, that same EULA allows redistribution if the packages are kept in their original format and filenames and not used to add value to commercial products. As a result, they are still available for download on third-party websites, though the EULA in question is not.
So, it might not be legal for PocketBook distribute Georgia on their reader, yet You can download the font legally to your reader.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-28-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Quote:
Well, Georgia is one of the fonts in the
Core fonts for the Web package (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web) that Microsoft released.
I mentioned this package in one of my previous posts

So, it might not be legal for PocketBook distribute Georgia on their reader, yet You can download the font legally to your reader.
This is a mood point anyway, as I don't own a Win partition!
Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
This is a mood point anyway, as I don't own a Win partition!
You do not have to own a win partition.
I use MSWindows VERY rarely at home myself. At the moment my main desktop is Mint Linux, before it was PC-BSD and before that FreeBSD. (I am going to install FreeBSD 8.0 on one of my "testing" partitions to see if I do not change my preffered OS again ;-) )
I own many computers and most of those I have purchased Second hand. Some of them came with legal version of Windows. Not that I use it, but it can come handy if I *have* to run a windows only SW such as firmware flasher or [shudder] Sony Library software [/shudder].

This font package is freely installable from ports on FreeBSD or standard repositories for Ubuntu. The only catch is, the fonts are downloaded from a third party site during installation.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So coming to this PDF posting I have been promising for 2 days now.
This is the most full-featured PDF app I have heard of on an EInk device. The two column mode is something that any serious EInk PDF app should have and so few do. PocketBook 8" and/or 9.7" devices are going to rock for PDFs.

Does the dictionary, and search, work in text based PDFs?

How about the TOC and hyperlinks?

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is the most full-featured PDF app I have heard of on an EInk device. The two column mode is something that any serious EInk PDF app should have and so few do. PocketBook 8" and/or 9.7" devices are going to rock for PDFs.

Dictionary: Yes, of course!

TOC and hyperlinks will work when they do in the original file! Well, the "two column mode" is not only two columns but can be adjusted (I know 5 columns are okay but I do not know if that is the upper limit. I have to check that!)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Search and dictionary work in the text based PDFs. I have not tested the PDF with hyperlinks, you can give one, so I tried it, they should work.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #29
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
Search and vocabulary work in the text based PDFs. I have not tested the PDF with hyperlinks, you can give one, so I tried it, they should work.
It really depends if they work in the first place. Some PDFs are just not made with working links! If the links are active, they may be used! The Ray Gun Revival Mag for example (did I mention that I love those, there are 54 freely downloadable) has a nice working TOC and working links!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #30
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
It really depends if they work in the first place. Some PDFs are just not made with working links! If the links are active, they may be used! The Ray Gun Revival Mag for example (did I mention that I love those, there are 54 freely downloadable) has a nice working TOC and working links!
Thank you mtravellerh!
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote