Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #31
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me the dealbreaker is the software - you apparently cannot adjust the font weight on Pocketbook readers, which for me is an indispensable feature. If not for that, I might be mildly interested in the Era.
I miss that too. But you can adjust contrast, brightness and gamma. To a certain extend, you can make the font darker and thicker with it. Of course, this is not a substitute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	125
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	195092  
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I miss that too. But you can adjust contrast, brightness and gamma. To a certain extend, you can make the font darker and thicker with it. Of course, this is not a substitute.
But that changes the screen and that means images are changed. Why not allow adjusting the weight of the fonts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #33
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that changes the screen and that means images are changed. Why not allow adjusting the weight of the fonts?
Good point, Jon! It is definitely on my wishlist. I don't know why PB is so reluctant to implement this feature.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #34
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
For me the dealbreaker is the software - you apparently cannot adjust the font weight on Pocketbook readers, which for me is an indispensable feature. If not for that, I might be mildly interested in the Era.
Let's hope that the Carta 1200 screen will improve sharpness. On the Paperwhite 5 I no longer use the "bold" option.

Anyway, there are alternatives to change the font weight. I stopped suffering with this issue years ago, customising with FonForge the fonts I use the most, in size and weight scales. Since then I haven't had any problems in these aspects with any e-reader. In fact, in Kobo and Kindle I prefer to use my custom fonts rather than the weight modification system of those brands.

On the other hand, you can use alternative reading programs that do have this function, such as KOReader, although I understand that not everyone likes this program, which cannot be used with DRM ePub.

Anyway, I personally am not enthusiastic about the native reading program PBReader. It is simple and sufficient, but I think there are better ones. On the other hand, there are other things in the PocketBook software that do interest me and compensate for the limitations of PBReader.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Let's hope that the Carta 1200 screen will improve sharpness. On the Paperwhite 5 I no longer use the "bold" option.

Anyway, there are alternatives to change the font weight. I stopped suffering with this issue years ago, customising with FonForge the fonts I use the most, in size and weight scales. Since then I haven't had any problems in these aspects with any e-reader. In fact, in Kobo and Kindle I prefer to use my custom fonts rather than the weight modification system of those brands.
I still use the bolding option on my Kobos with Carta 1200 screens. No matter how sharp, I need my fonts also dark and not very thin.

As to installing KOReader and tinkering with FontForge, I've tried both, but both are too much of a bother for me. I prefer the Kobo weight adjustment system, where you can add the weight really incrementally. Kindles don't have this fine-tuning ability. Usually it's either too little or too much with them.

Ah well. I'm quite content with my Kobos at the moment. Pocketbook would have been interesting, but without the weight adjustment it's a no-go.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 04:13 PM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Being able to adjust the font weight is important to me too, I didn't know it isn't possible on on Pocketbooks, I'll stick with my Kobos, my pocketbook thanks you!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #37
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm glad they moved the page turn buttons to the right. On the Touch they're at the bottom which I find extremely inconvenient.

I wonder how the speed is compared to the latest Kobos? The Elipsa is much faster than the Forma. Whenever I need to take my ereader with me I use the Forma and syncing it with calibre is painfully slow, particularly unplugging it and then it adds the new books to its database. It feels like it takes ages for it to just discover that it needs to add the new books.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Being able to adjust the font weight is important to me too, I didn't know it isn't possible on on Pocketbooks, I'll stick with my Kobos, my pocketbook thanks you!
Well, you would use KOReader anyway. Changing the weight isn't possible in the native reader.

(Hiding from the wrath of your pocketbook...)
Old 07-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #39
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
That's what it's all about: having an e-reader that best suits the tastes and needs of each user. I have e-readers from the main brands on the market and I know first-hand the defects and virtues of all of them. The final criterion to know which are the best for me, as I use them indistinctly, is the time of use. And in my case, the e-readers I use the most are PocketBooks. But each user has different tastes and, fortunately, several alternatives.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
That's what it's all about: having an e-reader that best suits the tastes and needs of each user. I have e-readers from the main brands on the market and I know first-hand the defects and virtues of all of them. The final criterion to know which are the best for me, as I use them indistinctly, is the time of use. And in my case, the e-readers I use the most are PocketBooks. But each user has different tastes and, fortunately, several alternatives.
Absolutely! I am a bit disappointed though, because aesthetically the Era looks like very much my cup of tea, so if Pocketbook ever does add font weight customisation, I'd be very tempted
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I solve that issue by using Constantia, which (in my mind) has its boldness set about perfectly "as is." In some ways I find the Kobo a little distracting because it encourages "tweaking," and I find myself tweaking it too much. I also like the way the PocketBook renders the fonts a little better.

But there is another complaint about the PocketBook that some folks definitely want fixed. You can't change to justified text, if the book comes with a "ragged edge." That seems to bother some readers (probably more than some) who use the PocketBooks.

The PocketBook software is definitely less "tweakable" than the Kobo software -- but it has other features that, for me, more than make up for it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, trustworthy is not what comes into my mind when I think of Michael and Peter. Surprisingly, they are always among the first to get their hands on new devices.
In a weaker moment, I actually looked at buying a PocketBook from them (I was trying to find a Basic Lux 2). What I discovered is that, at their shop, "in stock," means they drop ship from Asia and you're even liable for customs charges. And shipping time is basically "when it gets there." But I do think they are an official dealer for PocketBook so that's probably why they get early information.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Is this adjustment in all PocketBooks? I've never seen this menu. It looks almost "Sony-like."
Old 07-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I'm glad they moved the page turn buttons to the right. On the Touch they're at the bottom which I find extremely inconvenient.
On my 6" PocketBooks, I like the buttons on the bottom. When I hold my reader with my right hand, my thumb sits right above forward page turn key. It's just a slight "thumb-slide" down and the page turns.

A larger screen and heavier reader might make this method less convenient, however.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I solve that issue by using Constantia, which (in my mind) has its boldness set about perfectly "as is." In some ways I find the Kobo a little distracting because it encourages "tweaking," and I find myself tweaking it too much. I also like the way the PocketBook renders the fonts a little better.

But there is another complaint about the PocketBook that some folks definitely want fixed. You can't change to justified text, if the book comes with a "ragged edge." That seems to bother some readers (probably more than some) who use the PocketBooks.

The PocketBook software is definitely less "tweakable" than the Kobo software -- but it has other features that, for me, more than make up for it.
I don't tweak my Kobos after the initial set-up, but that initial set-up must be just perfect for me. When it is, I barely ever touch the settings again (apart from the light). When I can't get it right because the options just aren't there, then I'll never be satisfied (sadly, such was my one and only experience with the Nook - beautiful hardware, but sorely inadequate software. I don't want to go through this frustration again).

Justification issues wouldn't bother me, as I edit my books anyway. The lack of weight adjustment certainly would, though - my absolute favorite, LexiaDama, is too light and thin without it. I've tried many other fonts, but I always return to LexiaDama.

As with everything, YMMV and does, of course.