Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-05-2022, 04:24 AM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
https://youtu.be/1DuOPB5eKLs

video comparison of PocketBook Era against the Paperwhite 5 and Libra 2
The best way to post a Youtube video.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:01 AM   #137
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Arguably having a link that will open in a new tab is the best way to post a Youtube video.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2022, 05:11 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Arguably having a link that will open in a new tab is the best way to post a Youtube video.
I disagree because doing it the way I did it, you have two choices. You can watch the video here in this tab or click the watch on YouTube link and have a new tab opened to the video. You have choices. A link does not give you the first choice.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #139
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Interesting, but I thought it was a little lazy. For something so focussed on the screen quality, and yet, no effort to even get the same font on all three.

Of course, with the font adjustments you have on Kobo and Kindle you can improve things. And the font adjustment on Era is just wholly inadequate and crude (Italic? Bold? really?). But you can always install a custom font to achieve the same result.

And some would say the PW5 falls short of Oasis in terms of screen quality, so that should have been included. (I just got Oasis 2, and really haven't developed an opinion myself.)

One thing that the video does well is point out the tradeoffs with anti-glare measures. Libra 2 seems to be at one extreme, PocketBook at the other, PW5 somewhere in between. It seems my Oasis 2 (like Libra 2?) has less anti-glare than PW5, which is less than Era. Era is more like PW4.

Whether the anti-glare measures are a plus or a minus depends on your typical reading environments. They all have sweet spots.

I also think that video cannot really capture real-life scenarios with fidelity. I take these with a grain of salt at least, cameras are filters and imperfect proxies of what human eyes actually perceive. And we don't typically read with studio lighting. So it can capture 'artifacts' that don't really happen in actual usage.

This lack of verisimilitude can be a plus if we are talking about making movies or taking photos. We can manipulate the lighting, camera placement and lenses, and apply any number of visual effects and editing to create a compelling experience. We really don't expect or want 'fidelity' except perhaps for security cameras and video depositions.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2022 at 12:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #140
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Interesting, but I thought it was a little lazy. For something so focussed on the screen quality, and yet, no effort to even get the same font on all three.

Of course, with the font adjustments you have on Kobo and Kindle you can improve things. And the font adjustment on Era is just wholly inadequate and crude (Italic? Bold? really?). But you can always install a custom font to achieve the same result.

And some would say the PW5 falls short of Oasis in terms of screen quality, so that should have been included. (I just got Oasis 2, and really haven't developed an opinion myself.)

One thing that the video does well is point out the tradeoffs with anti-glare measures. Libra 2 seems to be at one extreme, PocketBook at the other, PW5 somewhere in between. It seems my Oasis 2 (like Libra 2?) has less anti-glare than PW5, which is less than Era. Era is more like PW4.

Whether the anti-glare measures are a plus or a minus depends on your typical reading environments. They all have sweet spots.

I also think that video cannot really capture real-life scenarios with fidelity. I take these with a grain of salt at least, cameras are filters and imperfect proxies of what human eyes actually perceive. And we don't typically read with studio lighting. So it can capture 'artifacts' that don't really happen in actual usage.

This lack of verisimilitude can be a plus if we are talking about making movies or taking photos. We can manipulate the lighting, camera placement and lenses, and apply any number of visual effects and editing to create a compelling experience. We really don't expect or want 'fidelity' except perhaps for security cameras and video depositions.
The Oasis 2 had a noticeably worse contrast than the Oasis 3.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The PW3 should also have been shown as it's got a better contrast then the PW4. I'm thinking the PW3 may beat the PW5.

I do think using the same eBook and the same font would make a comparison much better.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #142
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis 2 had a noticeably worse contrast than the Oasis 3.
I would not know about that, or care that much enough about it to go out and buy one. I wasn't even planning to get KO2, but the price was right and I wanted to see how KOReader would run on it (having installed it on the Era). Contrast is more than adequate for me, and between it and the Era, I've gone from 'I don't need no stinking buttons' to 'Hey, this is kinda nice'. (I still don't understand why Amazon doesn't enable them in Kindle Store. Don't they want to make shopping as efficient as possible?)

KOReader is a LOT snappier on KO2 than Era.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would not know about that, or care that much enough about it to go out and buy one. I wasn't even planning to get KOA2, but the price was right and I wanted to see how KOReader would run on it (having installed it on the Era). Contrast is more than adequate for me, and between it and the Era, I've gone from 'I don't need no stinking buttons' to 'Hey, this is kinda nice'. (I still don't understand why Amazon doesn't enable them in Kindle Store. Don't they want to make shopping as efficient as possible?)

KOReader is a LOT snappier on KOA2 than Era.
There's no such Reader as KOA2. A Kindle Oasis 2 is a KO2.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #144
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I would not know about that, or care that much enough about it to go out and buy one. I wasn't even planning to get KOA2, but the price was right and I wanted to see how KOReader would run on it (having installed it on the Era). Contrast is more than adequate for me, and between it and the Era, I've gone from 'I don't need no stinking buttons' to 'Hey, this is kinda nice'. (I still don't understand why Amazon doesn't enable them in Kindle Store. Don't they want to make shopping as efficient as possible?)

KOReader is a LOT snappier on KOA2 than Era.
The contrast was good enough for me as well when I used mine. I mentioned it because of the comparison video. When looking at comparison videos it should be taken into account whether it's the Oasis 2 or the Oasis 3 in the video.

Myself, I tend to watch comparison videos before making a buying decision, but not after. After buying a device I no longer care much about comparing either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

While in most cases, the reviews are rubbish, GoodEReader does shoot good videos in 4k so you can actually compare the screens when they do comparison reviews.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #146
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no such Reader as KOA2. A Kindle Oasis 2 is a KO2.
Brain fart. Fixed it.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:39 AM   #147
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
As an end user I compared the Era's screen with my Touch HD (300ppi Carta from 2015?).
Now, there's an improvement I didn't expect.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #148
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Personally I don't think the screen contrast isn't that bad. And with a good, dark font like Constantia, it would probably look pretty good. I was never impressed with the built-in fonts on my HD 3 either. All of them seem too light and without contrast. You're right, the reviewer should have used the same font on Libra 2 and the Era. Without doing that you really can't tell much of anything about actual quality.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-06-2022 at 10:46 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote