Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #91
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Thank you for posting this picture. I did forget to take a picture of mine before the "fix". Mine was very similar to yours at the right bezel. In addition I had two spots on the left.

We know there are no LED on the sides so the light is bouncing out from the side surface of the glass and bouncing back. Perhaps the glass and the LCD under it not sealed properly at those spots. Clearly a physical issue.
It's like a scratch on the surface. If you've ever seen a scratch on an E-reader lightguide, (there are some great pics of the first generation Nook Glo, that led to the infamous key drop test.). It looks to me like th side edges of the Clara are not finished properly, so they are acting like a scratch, as far as light glaring out.

*Edit* I think Davidfor has a better idea of what's going on.

Last edited by rashkae; 06-30-2018 at 02:50 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #92
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I hope these issues [if they are issues] are Fixed by Kobo soon ....Love to buy one!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #93
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thread created from "bleed" issue posts in Next Kobo Model thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #94
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
There seems to be a LOT of confusion about how frontlight works, so i'll try to explain it:

There's a number of LEDs at the bottom of the screen, which, when traveling through a layer on top of the e-ink screen, will light up that screen.
This happens by diffusing the light. diffusing means to bounce or scatter the light in other directions than just straight ahead (if it were to go straight, you would only see light at the bottom of the screen, and at the very top, because of the edge)

the reason we see these light spots, is because the layer is bend in those places, due to pressure.

There are no lights at the sides of the screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rwM4kOH.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	164814

thanks for resizing, issybird. I didn't know how to do that.

Last edited by CH23; 07-02-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Replaced oversized image with thumbnail.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #95
PolarMonk
PolarMonk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Can’t you just don’t let it draw your attention? It’s just not that big of an issue for me.
PolarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-02-2018 at 05:47 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:16 AM   #97
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarMonk View Post
Can’t you just don’t let it draw your attention? It’s just not that big of an issue for me.
You're posting in a thread specifically about this problem. I hope you didn't have high hopes for people NOT caring :P

Other than that, the issue isn't the same for everyone, it can be brighter for some.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute."
— Fyodor Dostoevsky
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:43 AM   #99
CH23
Bottom Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute."
— Fyodor Dostoevsky
Don't you mean, PolarMonk?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
Don't you mean, PolarMonk?
You'll thank me later
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #101
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
I couldn't, perhaps mine was worse than yours (I returned it), or perhaps my eyes are more sensitive, or perhaps I have more synapses!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #102
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I don't think that's something you can turn your brain off to not noticing if it bothers you.

Like me with typos or bad grammar or punctuation in books. I'll never understand why so many slip through, and it immediately takes me away from the book because my mind is screaming "how could they miss a period there!" or "didn't they realize an entire word is missing in that sentence?" It's really annoying to me because it takes my mind so far away from the story that I have to go back and reread a few sentences.

That's not something my brain will ever get used to seeing in books, so I can easily see how distracting lights would do it as well. Every one is different in what they can tolerate, especially when it intrudes on their time spent pursuing pleasure (which reading of course is).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #103
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
There seems to be a LOT of confusion about how frontlight works, so i'll try to explain it:

There's a number of LEDs at the bottom of the screen, which, when traveling through a layer on top of the e-ink screen, will light up that screen.
This happens by diffusing the light. diffusing means to bounce or scatter the light in other directions than just straight ahead (if it were to go straight, you would only see light at the bottom of the screen, and at the very top, because of the edge)

the reason we see these light spots, is because the layer is bend in those places, due to pressure.

There are no lights at the sides of the screen:

Attachment 164814

thanks for resizing, issybird. I didn't know how to do that.
Aw taking the front off... really clears things up
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #104
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Australian Claras also have the light issue

New user here!

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of how the light-bleed issue is manifesting itself on my Clara. Purchased it online through Australian department store Myer, and unfortunately I've got noticeable glow showing on both lower edges of the display, and a little bit coming in at the top edge of the display too.

Coming from very evenly lit copies of the Glo HD and PW2, I find it quite distracting so will return it and see if I can obtain one that is less afflicted.

If it were only the two sides I might try applying black tape along the edges as detailed elsewhere, but with the top edge also bleeding extra light through I think it's easier just to try for another.

Are any other users with both the Glo HD and Clara HD noticing any other differences between their respective displays?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClaraHDScreenBleed-1.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	165452   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClaraHDScreenBleed-2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	165453  
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #105
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Are any other users with both the Glo HD and Clara HD noticing any other differences between their respective displays?
I also had a Glo HD with one of the most evenly lit screens I had ever seen. Then I got a Clara HD with minor light bleeds on the right side. I still applied the black tape fix because my eyes kept wandering there. Now the light is very even and pleasant. I would also try to get one without the hue of the screen changing from top to bottom. Looks really terrible on the pics! Good luck with a new one!
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote