Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #76
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which photo? None seem to be demonstrating the light bleeding problem that has been discussed here.
Mine did, sorry I took them down. I tried uploading it as an attachment but it doesn't work.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #77
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374 - Copy.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	164732  
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #78
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
WE Don't know anything about the lights. But I see Cones & I can count to 13.
I do the LED are only in the bottom. The light travels within the body of the glass covering the whole display. Similar to fiber optics.

Any cones at the bottom bezel I can understand although with better engineering it can be prevented. However the bright spots at the sides are clearly a manufacturing flaw/defect. It should not happen.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #79
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And looking at that last photo, I'm intrigued as to what is causing them and the pattern. Is it as simple as the bits where there is no light the bezel is a little closer to the screen? Or is it something in the light guide?
Neither. The bleed is just where the leds are mounted. You don't see the bleed on the bottom because Kobo uses a black tape to cover the bottom leds. You see them on the side because Kobo did not put the same tape there.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #80
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I do the LED are only in the bottom. The light travels within the body of the glass covering the whole display. Similar to fiber optics.
The second sentence is correct and how the lighting on ereaders have been designed since the STR with glolight. But I think that your assertion in the first sentence is incorrect.

When I disassembled the Clara HD to make the fix the sides were way too bright to be anything but the leds themselves.
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #81
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
The second sentence is correct and how the lighting on ereaders have been designed since the STR with glolight. But I think that your assertion in the first sentence is incorrect.

When I disassembled the Clara HD to make the fix the sides were way too bright to be anything but the leds themselves.
Dear Haydnfan, If you are near Toronto, Canada I would like to bet you a case of beer. The LED are in the bottom only. There are 7 white and 6 amber ones.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry for misspelling name

Last edited by Atilla; 06-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #82
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Dear Handyfan, If you are near Toronto, Canada I would like to bet you a case of beer. The LED are in the bottom only. There are 7 white and 6 amber ones.

Cheers
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #83
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Here it is.
Yes that is a Bleed
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #84
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear Haydnfan, If you are near Toronto, Canada I would like to bet you a case of beer. The LED are in the bottom only. There are 7 white and 6 amber ones.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry for misspelling name
13 LED don't fit along the bottom Too Close & Be a Fire hazzard
Old 06-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #85
Atilla
Addict

Quote:
13 LED don't fit along the bottom Too Close & Be a Fire hazzard
Dear Barbara, I know you are joking but just in case you are not.
Count away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	164736  
Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #86
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Looks like the lights are along the side. Which makes sence. The pic I saw was in the article But even the pic is Not clear about left right top or Bottom
Old 06-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #87
Atilla
Addict

Quote:
Looks like the lights are along the side. Which makes sence. The pic I saw was in the article But even the pic is Not clear about left right top or Bottom
The picture with the light lights you are looking at is the bottom edge of the bezel. The LED are visible on an extreme angle.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Mine did, sorry I took them down. I tried uploading it as an attachment but it doesn't work.
Quote:
Here it is.
That's actually what I was expecting from the earlier discussion. Not light in spots like the last few photos.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Neither. The bleed is just where the leds are mounted. You don't see the bleed on the bottom because Kobo uses a black tape to cover the bottom leds. You see them on the side because Kobo did not put the same tape there.
You can see from Attila's photo that the LEDs are only at the bottom. I assume that the sides of the light guide are reflective so that any light that hits the sides are reflected back onto the screen.

Putting the tape over the edges as shown in the video posted is reducing the space above the screen for the light to bleed through. It is effectively the same as pushing the bezel against the screen. And as others have achieved the same thing by pressing on the bezel, it suggests that the glue that has been used in the construction isn't sticking well enough or that something is warping the case just enough to prevent it sticking.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #90
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Dear Barbara, I know you are joking but just in case you are not.
Count away
If I lived in Toronto, I would owe you beer.