Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Kobo and directory structure

Hey hey, Aura1 seems like the perfect reader to replace my aging PW, but one thing bugs me - am I able to just load a tree (pretty much copy-paste) with supported formats and pick the book just like I'll do in windows with Genre/Author/Series/Books subfolder structure?

I feel I need to explain, because question might be considered a piracy - in bulgaria there is next to none online ebooks, it is all hardcover. I have a freaking room full with books, but enough is enough. There is a group of people decided to preserve the books and they scan and digitalize old books (not currently on sale) and have impressive library in bulgarian so far. My "room" now fits in the kindle (jailbroken to have such ability), properly organized. I'm curious if I can do something like that with Kobo?
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Hi,

No, the builtin Kobo reader doesn't work like that. It will find all the books regardless of the directory structure. It doesn't show you the directory structure at all, and requires that you browse by "Collection". You can set these up in Calibre to map to whatever you want from the book metadata.

If you use alternative readers like koreader they may display the directory structure.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
See AutoShelf, automatically create shelves/collections based on folder structure on the Kobo.

Last edited by oren64; 08-23-2016 at 02:19 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys, AutoShelf won't work because it does not support more than 1 level depth and the dudes scanned a LOT of books, several thousands at least - I personally scanned 3
The KOReader however looks like a winner. It does not require jailbreaking the device right? I read the menu installation and I've seen nowhere mentioning, so it is safe to assume it will work on Aura1 once released right?

And last question - you can stop Kobo from scanning the added books if they are in some weird folder right? Since KOReader will be the main reader, there is no point for the device to waste energy/space trying to scan the books.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It may take a little time to adjust KOreader for the Aura One, I wouldn't imagine much time given how quick those folks seem to work.

You wont waste space by having the device process the books. The only energy wasted would be the initial processing of the books. After that they just reside on your device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
KOreader and a lot more discussed at this link for Kobo Developers Corner.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
And last question - you can stop Kobo from scanning the added books if they are in some weird folder right? Since KOReader will be the main reader, there is no point for the device to waste energy/space trying to scan the books.
Pretty much any directory with a . as the first character in the directory name will hide your ebooks from Kobo's standard firmware. See Wikipedia's article Hidden file and hidden directory for more information (not sure if this article is available in the Bulgarian flavour of Wikipedia -- Google translate of hidden file to Bulgarian gave no results).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Thanks all, I got all questions answered and aura one is def gonna be my next reading device and my sister will love the leftover PW
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
AutoShelf won't work because it does not support more than 1 level depth
AutoShelf supports more than 1 level depth.

It's Kobo's collection system that does not, so AutoShelf has no choice but to create flat collections ("x/y/a/", "x/y/b/", "x/y/c/", ...) so the levels become part of the collection name. Kobo simply does not have the ability to have collections inside collections.

If you need a genuine filebrowser this is only offered by alternative readers (koreader, coolreader), AutoShelf operates within the limitations of the original firmware... (same for the Calibre addon that manages kobo collections)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Yes sorry, that's what I meant by "not support", it is the same story with kindle and its collections, not plugin's fault in any way. KOreader or alternatives will be just great, currently using coolreader on kindle and while it is not without its problems, it works good enough for me. But aura1 with that screen is the reader I was always dreaming about, will be so happy to lay eyes on it