Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-04-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Updated Plugins Not Installing?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. But, two of the plugins I use have updates (Goodreads 1.7.3 to 1.7.5 and Quality Check 1.13.3 to 1.13.4) that are popping up as available in Calibre. When I go to the Plugins dialog in Calibre and install those updated plugins, they appear to update, but after the restart, I'm back at the old versions. Calibre kindly re-notifies me that plugin updates are available. I'm putting this thread in the general Plugins forum instead of in the individual PI threads because it's happening with two plugins at the same time.

Anyway, no specific logs for the updates smack me between the eyes, so I tried the updates from a calibre-debug -g terminal prompt. I can't figure out how to restart Calibre from that terminal window, so I just shut it down and ran it the same way. From the output, below, you can see the original version numbers, the theoretical updates, and then when the new instance starts, the same old versions load in.
Code:
calibre-debug -g                                                                                       in pwsh at 11:44:48
calibre 6.14.1*  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeACSM (0, 0, 16) && DeDRM (10, 0, 3) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 4, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 4) && EpubSplit (3, 5, 0) && Goodreads (1, 7, 3) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 83, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 6) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 3) && Modify ePub (1, 8, 1) && Quality Check (1, 13, 3) && ScrambleEbook (0, 6, 0)
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.25
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 87.37599999999999 x 87.34567164179104
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
ApplicationPaletteChange event received
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Initializing db...
[0.03] db initialized
[0.03] Constructing main UI...
DEBUG:    0.0 Kobo Utilities Configuration - CreateNewCustomColumn is supported
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboUtilites::action.py - loading translations
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboUtilites::dialogs.py - loading translations
qt.webengine.QWebEngineView OK
DEBUG:    0.7 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
DEBUG:    0.7 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=None, self.supports_tiles=None
DEBUG:    0.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG:    0.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Driver: KoboTouchExtended'
[0.97] main UI initialized...
[0.97] Started up in 0.97 seconds with 592 books
Starting QuickView
Downloading plugin ZIP attachment:  https://code.calibre-ebook.com/plugins/130638.zip
Installing plugin:  C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gi51pgc_\1cdxwnp6.zip
Downloading plugin ZIP attachment:  https://code.calibre-ebook.com/plugins/125428.zip
Installing plugin:  C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gi51pgc_\_6zw_ojz.zip

 Dave   ~    calibre-debug -g                                                                                       in pwsh at 11:47:25
calibre 6.14.1*  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeACSM (0, 0, 16) && DeDRM (10, 0, 3) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 4, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 4) && EpubSplit (3, 5, 0) && Goodreads (1, 7, 3) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 83, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 6) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 3) && Modify ePub (1, 8, 1) && Quality Check (1, 13, 3) && ScrambleEbook (0, 6, 0)
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.25
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 87.37599999999999 x 87.34567164179104
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
ApplicationPaletteChange event received
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Initializing db...
[0.03] db initialized
[0.03] Constructing main UI...
DEBUG:    0.0 Kobo Utilities Configuration - CreateNewCustomColumn is supported
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboUtilites::dialogs.py - loading translations
qt.webengine.QWebEngineView OK
DEBUG:    0.7 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
DEBUG:    0.7 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=None, self.supports_tiles=None
DEBUG:    0.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG:    0.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Driver: KoboTouchExtended'
[0.97] main UI initialized...
[0.97] Started up in 0.97 seconds with 592 books
Starting QuickView
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Both installed just fine W10pro (calibre 6.14.1).
I only tried a couple of QC tasks. I don't get metadata every day, so Goodreads is just waiting.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rebooted the computer and tried installing the plugin updates again and the updates still don't stick.

Weird.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Rebooted the computer and tried installing the plugin updates again and the updates still don't stick.

Weird.
This "smells" like the plugins folder in your configuration folder is read-only. Or something, an AV perhaps, is silently blocking the rights.

What happens if you download the updated version and move that file to plugins folder, renaming it if needed?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Well, that's interesting, too. I went to each of those plugins' threads and downloaded the zip file from the first post. I opened a terminal window and ran "calibre-customize..." for each. The versions installed were the one's I already have installed. Both plugins appear to be saying they have updates available when they don't? Perhaps the update notification is for a beta build (posted near the end of the threads)?

What versions does Calibre say you have installed?
Code:
 calibre-customize -a "Goodreads.zip"                                                           in pwsh at 13:23:41
Plugin added: Goodreads (1, 7, 3)
 Dave   Downloads    calibre-customize -a "Quality Check.zip"                                                       in pwsh at 13:24:28
Plugin added: Quality Check (1, 13, 3)
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru

To do a completely manual installation, do I just unzip the files and copy everything to their corresponding folders under plugins?
Old 04-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
To do a completely manual installation, do I just unzip the files and copy everything to their corresponding folders under plugins?
Unless the plugin has an "initialize() method, copying the zip file to the plugins folder is sufficient, ensuring it has the same name as the previous one.

As for the plugin updater, it works fine for me.

Here is the updater telling me a new version of quality check is available.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	200783

Here is the updater telling what version is actually installed after running the update and restarting calibre.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	200784

As I said before, this smells like a permissions problem, either on the folder or on the zip files themselves.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
enuddleyarbl
Guru

As far as I can tell, I've got full permissions for everything in the plugins folder and the zip files, themselves. I'm going to try uninstalling one of those and re-installing from scratch.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:46 PM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I uninstalled the Goodreads PI. Restarted Calibre. Checked that the Goodreads zip file was gone from the plugins directory. From the Preferences dialog, I told Calibre to download and install the PI (1.7.5). Restarted Calibre, and it's telling me there's an update from 1.7.3 to 1.75 available.

EDIT: Went to the Goodreads Github repository and downloaded goodreads-v1.7.5.zip. Renamed it to Goodreads.zip and did the calibre-customize -a "Goodreads.zip" thing again. 1.7.3 installed?!? I've tried turning off all the fancy Windows Security checks to no avail.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 04-04-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Do you have the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable set? Perhaps something is going wrong with that. Or perhaps mixing regular and portable versions of calibre?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Yep. The problem was that I had tried looking at some plugin code and, among other things, had set up that CALIBRE_CONFIG DIRECTORY environment variable. Since I'd determined I didn't have the right stuff to mess with code any more, I uninstalled all of that and got rid of the associated environment variables. That fixed my issue with the Calibre plugins not updating. I'm assuming Calibre was getting confused and checking the versions in the cloned git repositories instead of looking in the actual plugin directory.

I'm assuming if I'd set up a totally separate "development" Calibre version, I'd have been ok. But, all's well that ends well.