Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quick question for those using 2.1.1: Has anyone ever tried to delete the data with a factory reset? If so, do you get that the system clear is not available? Just curious...
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Update:

Still trying to patch the Framework for the 2.1.1 to get the market to work... Not as easy as it would seem. I am quite hopeful I will get it to work soon though.

Also, there is another project I am working on that should get you all excited pretty soon...

Last edited by Icewyng; 11-04-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookof View Post
The patch was easy to install, so if you manage to resolve the issue around the Kindle app and what appears to be an incompatibility with the JIT compiler, that would be great.

I am ready to give up on many apps, but the Kindle app no longer working is a non-starter for me. Other ebook shops don't have as much choice as Amazon and as far as I know there is no other application that can handle Amazon ebooks.
I will release a new patch with the non-JIT lib file over the weekend. Also, got pretty much everything sorted out, except for 2.1.2 (whihc just won;t work for some reason).

Quote:
I look forward to your new patch. If you could add the ability to transfer programs to the SD card, it would be great.
I will see what I can do.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Update:

Still trying to patch the Framework for the 2.1.1 to get the market to work... Not as easy as it would seem. I am quite hopeful I will get it to work soon though.

Also, there is another project I am working on that should get you all excited pretty soon...
Icewyng:

I look forward to your work. Will the patch work for all 2.x versions, including 2.0.6?

Thanks.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Icewyng:

I look forward to your work. Will the patch work for all 2.x versions, including 2.0.6?
That is the ultimate goal. Since it is flashed, it should make it easier to do so. Only one I have problem with is 2.1.2 but being an RC ROM, it is to be expected.

Now... I have two projects I plan to work on. One is a repack for 2.1.1 with some modded scripts. The second one... I will try to get Froyo or GB working on this thing. I might even try Honeycomb for fun, since it is based on GB.... who knows! I want to see if we are really stuck on 2.0 or not...
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #21
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
I will try to get Froyo or GB working on this thing. I might even try Honeycomb for fun, since it is based on GB.... who knows! I want to see if we are really stuck on 2.0 or not...

That would be fantastic, but Forkosigan (PB rep in Germany) posted this some time ago.
I sincerely hope this is only a flimsy excuse and not the truth
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #22
marf
Enthusiast
marf began at the beginning.

Device: PB701, PB360+
Quote:
Now... I have two projects I plan to work on. One is a repack for 2.1.1 with some modded scripts. The second one... I will try to get Froyo or GB working on this thing. I might even try Honeycomb for fun, since it is based on GB.... who knows! I want to see if we are really stuck on 2.0 or not...
I think I read somewhere that 2.1.1 is based on Android 2.1. Anyway, I just did the install for your Universal root path and it went well. The only issue I had regarding the install was that I downloaded the link from your post without looking at it and only got the HTML page, not the zip. When the first install attempt failed I saw the file size was clearly too small and downloaded it properly (open the URL, then save). Install went fine then.

Lots to look at, as I've neither rooted a PB-anything before, nor used Titanium Backup. Thanks for all the neat stuff.
marf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #23
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marf View Post
I think I read somewhere that 2.1.1 is based on Android 2.1. Anyway, I just did the install for your Universal root path and it went well. The only issue I had regarding the install was that I downloaded the link from your post without looking at it and only got the HTML page, not the zip. When the first install attempt failed I saw the file size was clearly too small and downloaded it properly (open the URL, then save). Install went fine then.

Lots to look at, as I've neither rooted a PB-anything before, nor used Titanium Backup. Thanks for all the neat stuff.
2.1.1 is still based on 2.0, as is 2.1.2. PB says that the IQ can't run Froyo but, considering devices such as the Pandigital Novel & Cruz Reader (based on the same architecture) can run it, I don't see we could not.

Do you have any problem with Superuser whitelist when you open Tiatanium Backup? Just curious.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
marf
Enthusiast

Quote:
2.1.1 is still based on 2.0, as is 2.1.2. PB says that the IQ can't run Froyo but, considering devices such as the Pandigital Novel & Cruz Reader (based on the same architecture) can run it, I don't see we could not.
I dug up an email I got from PB support at the end of August 2011, and it said after the 2.1.1 upgrade the device was running Android 2.1.

Quote:
Do you have any problem with Superuser whitelist when you open Tiatanium Backup? Just curious.
I know what superuser is, and what a whitelist is, but you lose me after that. Is it something I have to configure and/or enable?

When I start Titanium Backup, I get a "Warning - System configuration" message box saying "Your system settings may cause problems. To correct this, go to your phone's Settings, then in "Applications" then in "Development" and tick the "USB debugging" checkbox. "

I believe 2.1.1 removed the developer goodies which allowed setting USB debug that were in 2.0.3 and 2.0.6. I don't see that stuff in either Launcher or Launcher Pro. So there's another item to add to the 2.1.1 considerations list. [Edit] in addition to WiFi, TTS, and whatever else. [/Edit]

After dismissing the warning message box, TB Overview reports
Version 3.6.2
Root access -> OK (BusyBox 1.17.2LouZiffer-v2.10 from system)
HyperShell (FAST) => NO (Donate version only)
Fast/Auto app install => NO (HyperShell needed)
SQLite => YES (SQLite 3.7.2 included)
Dropbox => NO (Donate version only)
Data directory: /data
External storage: /sdcard (ok)
Backup directory: /sdcard/TitaniumBackup

Filemanager shows
/sdcard//data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup contains no data
/sdcard/TitaniumBackup shows 12 files with the "backwards Java" name such as org.coolreader.021be.... Most files are 0.00B but a few contain data.

Back in TB, Backup/Restore shows "No backup yet" for most things but a few have backup data. This after running both of the backup specs in Schedules. Under the Schedules tab, both specs say "Never run yet." altho I have clicked Run for them both. Both specs are not Enabled.

That's all the stuff I can think to report, let me know if there's something else I can provide. I hope to try reading some documentation on this stuff tonite, please excuse my ignorance on the new apps.

Again, thanks for the coolstuff!

Last edited by marf; 11-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
That would be fantastic, but Forkosigan (PB rep in Germany) posted this some time ago.
I sincerely hope this is only a flimsy excuse and not the truth
Not sure what he means but is he saying about support for the s3c6410 device drivers and taking too much time to develop?

If so, it is only a problem if you want to upgrade the kernel. If you use 2.6.29, it will work. Look at the PDN who got Froyo, GB AND Honeycomb working with 2.6.29...

It is possible to do something about though but it would mean PB releasing a kernel source, which I doubt they will.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #26
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
I dug up an email I got from PB support at the end of August 2011, and it said after the 2.1.1 upgrade the device was running Android 2.1.
It is possible... I will have to check that out.

Quote:
I know what superuser is, and what a whitelist is, but you lose me after that. Is it something I have to configure and/or enable?

When I start Titanium Backup, I get a "Warning - System configuration" message box saying "Your system settings may cause problems. To correct this, go to your phone's Settings, then in "Applications" then in "Development" and tick the "USB debugging" checkbox. "

I believe 2.1.1 removed the developer goodies which allowed setting USB debug that were in 2.0.3 and 2.0.6. I don't see that stuff in either Launcher or Launcher Pro. So there's another item to add to the 2.1.1 considerations list. [Edit] in addition to WiFi, TTS, and whatever else. [/Edit]

After dismissing the warning message box, TB Overview reports
Version 3.6.2
Root access -> OK (BusyBox 1.17.2LouZiffer-v2.10 from system)
HyperShell (FAST) => NO (Donate version only)
Fast/Auto app install => NO (HyperShell needed)
SQLite => YES (SQLite 3.7.2 included)
Dropbox => NO (Donate version only)
Data directory: /data
External storage: /sdcard (ok)
Backup directory: /sdcard/TitaniumBackup

Filemanager shows
/sdcard//data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup contains no data
/sdcard/TitaniumBackup shows 12 files with the "backwards Java" name such as org.coolreader.021be.... Most files are 0.00B but a few contain data.

Back in TB, Backup/Restore shows "No backup yet" for most things but a few have backup data. This after running both of the backup specs in Schedules. Under the Schedules tab, both specs say "Never run yet." altho I have clicked Run for them both. Both specs are not Enabled.

That's all the stuff I can think to report, let me know if there's something else I can provide. I hope to try reading some documentation on this stuff tonite, please excuse my ignorance on the new apps.
For the usb debugging, it is my fault. It will be fixed in the repack. I will see how I could do that with the Patch.

TB looks normal and it is to be expected. I need to find the right SU binary to get root to recognize it as 0. No biggie but it should be done soon.

In LauncherPro, you need to create a shortcut. Press anywhere on the Home screen and then, in the menu: Shortcuts>Activities>Setting>Development. Create the shortcut and press on it. Enable USB Debugging.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
marf
Enthusiast

Quote:
In LauncherPro, you need to create a shortcut. Press anywhere on the Home screen and then, in the menu: Shortcuts>Activities>Setting>Development. Create the shortcut and press on it. Enable USB Debugging.
Created the shortcut, and TB seems to have done a backup. It still says "Never yet run" but I see the new data. I created a new schedule and enabled it so we'll see what TB thinks after that time rolls around. TB no longer complains about root privileges at startup.

Over in the Superuser app, I don't see anything in the app list, likewise no log data.

Thanks for the help and let me know if I can provide anything else. I'm also very glad to find out where some of the missing dev goodies went, especially the battery info.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #28
marf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Created the shortcut, and TB seems to have done a backup. It still says "Never yet run" but I see the new data. I created a new schedule and enabled it so we'll see what TB thinks after that time rolls around. TB no longer complains about root privileges at startup.
BTW, TB Backup/Restore reports there is a backup with the latest backup time.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #29
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:

Over in the Superuser app, I don't see anything in the app list, likewise no log data.

Thanks for the help and let me know if I can provide anything else. I'm also very glad to find out where some of the missing dev goodies went, especially the battery info.
Some of it has to be done outside the system image so it takes a bit more work. This is the reason why I am to do a repack since it would get everything in one place. One thing that may prove difficult is to get Market working but we will see.

Battery info? can you specify what you mean by that?

Edit: and 2.1.1 is still sdk=5...

Last edited by Icewyng; 11-06-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #30
marf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Battery info? can you specify what you mean by that?
Shortcuts -> Activities -> Setting -> Battery Info

Shortcuts -> Activities -> Setting -> Battery History

Good for tuning your setting to prolong battery life. I tend to get about 7 hours +/- an hour between full charge and the 10% battery left warning message.

I haven't registered my PB701, so I'm not really hurting for Marketplace. Altho, if you do get it fixed I might have to give it a try. There are certainly a few free things on Marketplace that sound useful or fun. Oh, guess I need a WiFi router.

Hmmm, SDK5 ... Is that what they call the API Level? That's 7 for Android 2.1. Android 2.0 seems to have fallen off the SDK list, at least where I looked.
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html

The only other thing I [looking quickly] saw was this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...0.2F2.1_Eclair

AH HA! Found it. Yep, Android 2.0 looks like SDK5, at least to my untrained eye.
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

Neat, interesting stuff.