Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Universal root patch for IQ...

Disclaimer: as with the other Roms, Use at your own risk! Since it is a custom patch, you run the risk to brick your IQ if you are not careful. Do yourself a favor and get Titanium Backup and always backup yours apps/settings (It is included with the patch).

Hi everyone,

Here is what you all have been waiting for:

Universal root patch (All versions)

Here is a list of what it does:
Root the device (should work for all versions)
Add Busybox and create symbolic links for utilities
Improved 2d/3d drivers update
Optimized Dalvik Virtual Machine with JIT compiler
Adds LauncherPro & Titanium Backup

No need for Z4root or ADB anymore!

Let me know how it goes

(Edit: Of course, all you have to do is flash it: put it in the root of the SDCard & reboot while holding Power+Vol+)

Last edited by Icewyng; 10-29-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
whoah! thanks!
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Matula1
Enthusiast
Matula1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360°, IQ
Thanks a lot, works fine for my device - the only thing i had to change, was the su, cause the titanium backup has grumble about a whitelist (no clue what it meant ).

K4U

Matula1
Matula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matula1 View Post
Thanks a lot, works fine for my device - the only thing i had to change, was the su, cause the titanium backup has grumble about a whitelist (no clue what it meant ).
What version did you flash it with? Usually, that happens because the Superuser App was not installed properly. Was it a fresh install or was Suerpuser there before?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Does it include Android Market? Otherwise, when should it be installed and through what method (e.g. non ugly market install)?

Also, is anything additional needed to have applications install on the sd card (e.g. app2sd)?

Given instability with 2.1.1 (e.g. wireless connection), is it better to start off with 2.0.6?

Thank you!

Last edited by ebookof; 10-31-2011 at 08:51 PM.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Icewyng
Addict

It does not Market since 2.1.1 & 2.1.2 are different than 2.0.6 and I need to figure out why. I am working on it. Yes, use the non ugly procedure for 2.0.6.

Also, apps2sd is not included yet. I could include it if people need it

Also, better start with 2.0.6 and flash 2.1.2 afterward. Than, apply root.

One last thing...if you use Titanium Root, be sure to put No Compression as backup method.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Surfdiver
Surfdiver began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Hi Icewyng,

Thanks for the root patch. It worked ok, but I got the same message as Matula1 that: "Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root:"whoami" reports "whoami:unknown uid 10025 instead of root/uid 0. Then the Titanium backup does not work.
I have upgraded from 2.0.6 to 2.1.1. How is it possible to fix this?
Surfdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Matula1
Enthusiast
Matula1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360°, IQ
@Icewyng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
What version did you flash it with? Usually, that happens because the Superuser App was not installed properly. Was it a fresh install or was Suerpuser there before?
I had the pure version 2.1.2 german without su before for testing and only flash with your patch. The errordisplay was the same like Surfdiver + said whitelist, but in german. But it was easy to update the su and now works Titanium fine.

Matula1
Matula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matula1 View Post
@Icewyng
I had the pure version 2.1.2 german without su before for testing and only flash with your patch. The errordisplay was the same like Surfdiver + said whitelist, but in german. But it was easy to update the su and now works Titanium fine.
Matula1
Actually, after having updated my Titanium app & Busybox, I got the same error. I think it is probably Busybox that is the cause of this. What I will do is update busybox & TB in the update and upload it. Also, if you have a Parsing error in TB, it would be related to the same problem.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
ebookof
Enthusiast

Hi,

The patch worked fine with firmware 2.0.6. I was able to install Android Market using the non-ugly install. To have applications move to the sd card, I used Link2SD. I did not get the error messages mentioned by others.

Unfortunately, some errors started to appear with usage: a) the Kindle app was no longer able to handle books with DRM rights (classics and samples work fine); b) applications started progressively to have problems connecting to the Internet.

Did anyone of you encounter these issues? Is there a better app than Link2SD to move applications to the SD card?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookof View Post
Hi,

The patch worked fine with firmware 2.0.6. I was able to install Android Market using the non-ugly install. To have applications move to the sd card, I used Link2SD. I did not get the error messages mentioned by others.

Unfortunately, some errors started to appear with usage: a) the Kindle app was no longer able to handle books with DRM rights (classics and samples work fine); b) applications started progressively to have problems connecting to the Internet.

Did anyone of you encounter these issues? Is there a better app than Link2SD to move applications to the SD card?

Thanks.
Thank you for the report. I will look into that. Could be related to the DVM JIT compiler... I could release one without it and try it out.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
ebookof
Enthusiast

Yes, the Kindle app issue seems to be related to the JIT compiler. I did a search on the web and several people reported this issue, including people that did tests with builds that included or not the JIT compiler. Versions without the JIT compiler worked.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Icewyng
Addict

What I will do is replace this one with the non-JIT version for now.

As for the system acting up, it is about permissions. Bear with me since I am still learning some things to improve the script. It should be fixed shortly.

Oh... one othe thing... stay away from 2.1.2 for now. From what i can tell from the files, it seems PB changed their developer and the guy definitly need to improve it if they want anything anywhere near what 2.0.6 was...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
Icewyng
Addict

Quick post on how things are doing:

I have been working some more on the root patch and been trying a few more combinations. I think I might have something that will work great with all ROMs. Also, I am working on a new GApps patch and will try to make it work on 2.1.1 (2.1.2 will be more complicated, but possible).

The key is to find what apps will work the best for the IQ. Also, in next update, I will update Superuser & Titanium Backup to the latest version.

Last edited by Icewyng; 11-03-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
ebookof
Enthusiast

The patch was easy to install, so if you manage to resolve the issue around the Kindle app and what appears to be an incompatibility with the JIT compiler, that would be great.

I am ready to give up on many apps, but the Kindle app no longer working is a non-starter for me. Other ebook shops don't have as much choice as Amazon and as far as I know there is no other application that can handle Amazon ebooks.

I look forward to your new patch. If you could add the ability to transfer programs to the SD card, it would be great.

Thanks!