Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #316
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
@MTH
Since you are here today, what about a changelog for the new 2.0.5 Firmware for the PRO Series?
What did they mess up this time besides the pdfviewer?
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #317
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kyobo eReader, Sony PRS-950, PocketBook Pro 902, PocketBook 360
Just to compare these two - so posted it here.

Today, walking around the city with my wife... And I bought Sony PRS-950, just to test the quality of firmware in "of the box" stage.
So, after a day of testing it - I can say that quality of PB firmware in comparison with PRS-950 - is just SUXXX. Sony's firmware gives the impression of something polished and at least tested before publishing. PB's firmware... you just know what I say here...

1. ePub rendering is just excellent, scrolling speed is very fast. No text is lost. As a user of device I do not need to even think "what for engine renders this" - I just USE it for the money I paid. And no need to make additional coding by myself to begin to read on it.

2. Browser is made by Sony programmers just excellent. It can be used very comfortable (in contrast to stupid coded PB's browser). Good view, comfortable control, normal operating settings...

3, 4, 5, and so on ...
All the use of Sony's firmware gives impression of POLISHED. I know that Alex Exler found some shortcomings in it (perhaps in older versions?) - but even so it does not go to any comparison with the PB's Ill-conceived and buggy firmware.

I'm not even talking about the hardware, it's just excellent too - Pearl 1024x600 screen, new infra-red finger-touch-technology that does not affect screen quality at all, very fast operating, 3G, Wi-Fi, good design... And no need to code by myself - just buy and use.
My wife (she has PB-360 till now) played with this new device and asked me to buy her PRS-650 (it is slightly lighter), so tomorrow I buy 650 too.
So, at now - it's my favorite reader. 902 - only for BIG-paper-format PDFs that can't be read on 7.1" screen of Sony.

I wrote this here just to compare coding quality of firmware of 902 and 950, so if you have another questions about it - we can talk about it in Sony branch.

Last edited by JimStar; 02-26-2011 at 02:50 PM.
JimStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #318
cipri
Banned
cipri is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
this reminds me that pocketbook used to say:
"we are not like other companies, like sony, which make a lot of things, and in addition make also a ebook reader. We are professionals, because we make just ebook readers, and nothing else"

That's why i don't understand why the software made by pocketbook is so weak and buggy. Perhaps they don't have enough programmers? Does somebody know how many programmers pocketbook have?
(I used to make jokes, thinking: they have just on programmer, and if that one is working just part-time).
cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #319
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I used my PRS-650 for reading most books; PB903 only for PDFs with tables and graphics. But replaced the PB903 with Kindle DXG. Although it's not really better it's not that heavy. Basically there is currently no good 9.7" reader available.

Pocketbook promised a lot of thing but until now nothing happens.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #320
syncliner
syncliner began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
So, let's see what we have here. An Ukrainian company that sells ereaders with extremely buggy firmwares. Unfortunately i am waiting mine in a week or so. But, what about all the others stop buying their product until they deliver what the promised. Hmmmmmm!!!!!!
syncliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #321
cipri
Banned
cipri is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
sometimes, it seems that a strange bug appears. It's so strange, that i nearly can not believe that it is true. I'm reading for example in a pdf-file for a while somewhere at the end of the pdf-file (page 80 or so), and then without that i press anything, it jumps to page 10. (and i even didn't have a bookmark at that page). With scribble it happens, that the system give me the impression that it is "stuttering". I write normally, and then suddenly it does write for a second, then it write again for a second then again it doesn't write for a second. It's working with interruptions.
The firmware is really bad, and i don't understand why they don't try to make it open source (if it is possible), so that at least the users can repair it, if they are not able to fix it themself.
cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #322
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoschi View Post
So let us wait for someone who is gifted AND generous enough to share.
Looks like somebody's taking another stab at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I agree completely with this quote. Jimstar will not release the Coolreader, and we respect his reasons.
Just for the record, no, I for one don't. It's more than a little childish and certainly hurts the wrong people. It's also contrary to the values of open source software which, incidentally, was what allowed him to get it to run in the first place. Standing on the shoulder of giants and all that. Obviously he doesn't have an obligation to publish his code, but I certainly don't need to "respect" that.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #323
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
understood. It is your opinion and is ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Looks like somebody's taking another stab at it.

Just for the record, no, I for one don't. It's more than a little childish and certainly hurts the wrong people. It's also contrary to the values of open source software which, incidentally, was what allowed him to get it to run in the first place. Standing on the shoulder of giants and all that. Obviously he doesn't have an obligation to publish his code, but I certainly don't need to "respect" that.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #324
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I got a serious problem with my PB902 - which went away (for now).
Not sure if it is software, hardware or battery issue.

White pages became striped - white/light gray horizontal stripes (even on pictures, on OFF logo in particular). At the same time, about 1/3 of all words on the page became very pale, barely visible, mostly at the left side. If refresh is switched to anything else than to refresh each page - only garbage on the screen after switching to the next page.
I tried switching off/on, rebooting, even the cold reset - removed the battery.
Nothing helped, those background stripes remained, and some words/letters still barely visible. Even when the charging cable was connected. Charging the battery did not help.

Then I left the device switched off for a couple of days. Then switched on again: everything is back to normal. No stripes, all the text is perfectly displayed.
So far so good, but not sure for how long ....
Anybody experienced something like that?

Last edited by parkher; 04-06-2011 at 04:17 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #325
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
sounds like what might happen if it got very hot or very cold. also a bit like what might happen if it got sort of "over exposure" to an UV source.

did it possibly sit near a window with bright sunlight but with part of it shaded for an extended period?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #326
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it was switched on and with a usb charger attached for an extended period of time (I still haven't fixed my broken (fallen off) on/off button). Then I noticed that it always switches on when inserting that usb cable, so I set it to switch off after 10 minutes.
While it was always on, everything was ok. But soon after switching off, this happened.
I think I charged it for a while while off. So the battery should not have been empty.
And the problem persisted when the charger was attached as well.
I don't know how smart the battery charging circuitry is, is it harmful for the battery or not to be continuously charged.
And, when the charger is attached, does the PB get all the necessary power directly or does it still get it from the battery?
Anyway, when the problem occurred, the battery should have been pretty full, I think.
Then I kept it switched off and charging for a while (probably then the problem occured), then 2 more days off and no longer charging. After that it is ok, so far. I let it switch off after 10 minutes and I switch it on by inserting the usb cable and then I take it out again when it boots up.

Maybe it got too hot while being charged while switched off, with its thick cover closed.
Previously it was continuously with the cover open (folded back) while always on and always charging - then there were no problems.
I just had it fixed to the sheet music stand with the charger attached.

Last edited by parkher; 04-07-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #327
irmar
irmar began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook plus 360
How about the weight? I am used to my Cybook Opus which weighs 150 grams, and since I need a bigger ereader, I'm considering this one, but it's 4 times as heavy. Have any of you tried to read for more than 1-2 hours holding it in one hand? Or do you use a pillow to stand it on your knees?
irmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #328
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmar View Post
How about the weight? I am used to my Cybook Opus which weighs 150 grams, and since I need a bigger ereader, I'm considering this one, but it's 4 times as heavy. Have any of you tried to read for more than 1-2 hours holding it in one hand? Or do you use a pillow to stand it on your knees?
I'm not a small man, but I can't hold the 902 in one hand for very long. It's not just the weight, but also it's width and length, that makes it torque downwards. You have to have a good pincer grip on it to keep it from twisting down. Except for brief times like taking a drink, I use two hands and a rest of some kind (I usually lean back and prop it on my torso).

Having said that, I use it mostly for technical reading, and my brain needs rest pauses more often than my hands. So the weight hasn't been a problem for me.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #329
parkher
Evangelist

Add also the very heavy cover - the weight and size of 902 is doubled.
I usually use a music stand, even for reading in bed - it holds the 902 hanging at any angle I want.
I put a picture of it sometime ago right here in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=118