Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #46
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
Saving application on additional SD card is common for android OS. Even HTC Desire HD/with 2.2 ver./ wants expendable memory for GPS applications for example. So this is not malfunction but I doubt the next version for IQ will change that.

Last edited by onesome; 11-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #47
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesome View Post
Saving application on additional SD card is common for android OS. Even HTC Desire HD/with 2.2 ver./ wants expendable memory for GPS applications for example. So this is not malfunction but I doubt the next version for IQ will change that.
I was talking about the possibility of installing an app outside of the internal memory.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #48
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
I have been downloading all my aps to the my SD card. I am just playing with it hoping the 2.2 firmware makes everything work better.

Currently, I am working on book readers. The bookshelf contains all my books but it opens them in Aldiko. Holding down only gives me the option of opening in Aldiko.

If I open fbreader, then I can go to library and all my books are there also. I am not sure how I got them there, but I had to press on the books located on the SD card and eventually they showed up. I like fbreader the best and wish they would show up in the bookshelf. Again, hoping 2.2 does something here.

Neither, fbreader nor aldiko seem to have access to the dictionary. Speaking of dictionary, the IQ came with an english to german and not a regular dictionary. So I need to figure out how to access a dictionary. I have dictionary.com app but I have to leave the book to use it.

I loaded the kindle app but all my books are epub so it doesn't read any. I didn't want to try converting them but I might if it has a dictionary.

I also used calibre to transfer books I had already converted to epub for my Sony. It worked fine other than it did not recognize the IQ; I just have to select the directory and then it worked fine. It was easier just to copy and paste than to the SD card than use calibre.

I have just started playing with the Newspapers APP and I like it. This is one of the reason I bought the IQ, getting newspapers and magazines took time to put on my Sony using calibre.

I tried the dolphin browser and Opera Mini but went back to the IQ browser. It seemed a little easier to use; however, I will go back and look at them once I understand them better.

No I don't know how to install the firmware, but the site says coming soon. I assume I am going to lose everything when I do.

Even though this seems challenging, I like it much better than other options because it lets you setup things the way you want versus being limited to their whims. Still new to android but learning quickly.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #49
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Just got my IQ this morning, been playing with it (getting used to it) cant seem to get the registration right, went to the site +/registration entered my info, and the (way to long) sr. number of the IQ, got a registration key back, start reg. app, entered key, NOT VALID? Weird..
There is no way to check the registration info, nor a way to retry the serial.. So now i am screwed?
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #50
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Just got my IQ this morning, been playing with it (getting used to it) cant seem to get the registration right, went to the site +/registration entered my info, and the (way to long) sr. number of the IQ, got a registration key back, start reg. app, entered key, NOT VALID? Weird..
There is no way to check the registration info, nor a way to retry the serial.. So now i am screwed?
Skip! The *ç%& registration is not working as it should.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #51
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
HEY! Don't curse at the noob How was i supposed to know that ;-P
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #52
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Just thought I'd pass this along for those hoping to make the battery last a bit longer:

A Guide to Making Your Android’s Battery Last a Little Longer. It is from the Androinica blog. I know most of it is for Android phones but I am sure some of it could be useful advice.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #53
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yep, I found that out the hard way, too. I sent an email to Bookland about it. Haven't heard back from them yet.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #54
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Exclamation

Just found out that the file system on the internal SD card crashes if you're deleting from and adding files to the card at the same time. It'll crash and Windows will say the file system needs to be formatted. Don't format!! Just reboot the IQ once or twice and it'll come back. Windows will want to run a ScanDisk on it. Go ahead and let it run ScanDisk, it will find and fix some problems.

Moral of the story: Don't delete large batches of files at the same time you're adding large batches of files to the internal SD card. Do each activity separately!

Last edited by speedtouch; 11-25-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #55
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
I have been downloading all my aps to the my SD card. I am just playing with it hoping the 2.2 firmware makes everything work better.

Currently, I am working on book readers. The bookshelf contains all my books but it opens them in Aldiko. Holding down only gives me the option of opening in Aldiko.

If I open fbreader, then I can go to library and all my books are there also. I am not sure how I got them there, but I had to press on the books located on the SD card and eventually they showed up. I like fbreader the best and wish they would show up in the bookshelf. Again, hoping 2.2 does something here.

Neither, fbreader nor aldiko seem to have access to the dictionary. Speaking of dictionary, the IQ came with an english to german and not a regular dictionary. So I need to figure out how to access a dictionary. I have dictionary.com app but I have to leave the book to use it.

I loaded the kindle app but all my books are epub so it doesn't read any. I didn't want to try converting them but I might if it has a dictionary.

I also used calibre to transfer books I had already converted to epub for my Sony. It worked fine other than it did not recognize the IQ; I just have to select the directory and then it worked fine. It was easier just to copy and paste than to the SD card than use calibre.

I have just started playing with the Newspapers APP and I like it. This is one of the reason I bought the IQ, getting newspapers and magazines took time to put on my Sony using calibre.

I tried the dolphin browser and Opera Mini but went back to the IQ browser. It seemed a little easier to use; however, I will go back and look at them once I understand them better.

No I don't know how to install the firmware, but the site says coming soon. I assume I am going to lose everything when I do.

Even though this seems challenging, I like it much better than other options because it lets you setup things the way you want versus being limited to their whims. Still new to android but learning quickly.
Hmm, not sure how to help you on the ebook reader problem you're having. I haven't installed any readers yet. I've just been using the default PocketBook reader.

Is the Newspapers App on the IQ already? Or did you have to download it? That sounds like something I'd love to have. I don't see it on my IQ anywhere.

I also tried Dolphin and Opera Mini. I liked Dolphin the best. I had a lot of trouble working with Opera because it just would not go to links I press upon. It just wouldn't recognize my finger presses. Dolphin works a lot better for me, and actually the default browser seems to work the best as far as clicking on links goes.

Email your seller and make sure they put the retail firmware from November 20 on your IQ. If they did not, ask for the link to the firmware and instructions. It's very easy and I did it to my IQ with no trouble whatsoever. I don't know if you'll lose everything on the IQ when doing a firmware upgrade. I upgraded mine as soon as I pulled it out of the box.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #56
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
speedtouch, sent you a PM.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #57
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Well, I'm messed up now. I tried putting in an SD card so I could try out Aldiko. Since then, my IQ has not worked very well at all. It was a known good card that I've used before, but since I put it in, the "buttons" on the home screen don't work--no matter how long I touch them, nothing at all happens. I can get into the menu by using the left button at the bottom, but that's about all. I took the card out, and rebooted several times. Sometimes, I can actually get into Programs > Bookshelf or Library, but neither one will let me actually see the books--just the number of All Books. I can see everything if I attach the IQ to my computer, so I moved the books I've added myself off, and then I tried both the reset button on the top edge, and the factory reset option. Neither worked. Although it's about 50% charged, I'm trying to recharge it and see if that helps somehow. The Nov. 20th firmware still is not posted, and since I was silly enough to buy from the store here in Missouri instead of one of the vendors, I'm kinda stuck until they finally post it. I'll also try calling tomorrow, but I don't know if they'll be open. Well, at least I'm learning a lot about how to fix it when things aren't right.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #58
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Well, I'm messed up now. I tried putting in an SD card so I could try out Aldiko. Since then, my IQ has not worked very well at all. It was a known good card that I've used before, but since I put it in, the "buttons" on the home screen don't work--no matter how long I touch them, nothing at all happens. I can get into the menu by using the left button at the bottom, but that's about all. I took the card out, and rebooted several times. Sometimes, I can actually get into Programs > Bookshelf or Library, but neither one will let me actually see the books--just the number of All Books. I can see everything if I attach the IQ to my computer, so I moved the books I've added myself off, and then I tried both the reset button on the top edge, and the factory reset option. Neither worked. Although it's about 50% charged, I'm trying to recharge it and see if that helps somehow. The Nov. 20th firmware still is not posted, and since I was silly enough to buy from the store here in Missouri instead of one of the vendors, I'm kinda stuck until they finally post it. I'll also try calling tomorrow, but I don't know if they'll be open. Well, at least I'm learning a lot about how to fix it when things aren't right.
Oh no. I am very sorry to hear that. I know I read somewhere that it must be a Class 6 SD card to use in the IQ. Do you know if it is a Class 6? (I didn't even know there were various classes of SD cards!) I also had some trouble with the Library not letting me see books today. The PB Library program ended up crashing on me in the end. So I loaded it again and just left it alone for 5 minutes then I was able to see my books again. I don't know why it crashed the first time.

I wonder if it's possible to take the back cover off and pull the battery to really give the IQ a hard reset? I know I've had to do that with my Palm Pre phone a few times when it was acting up. A good ol' battery pull helped a lot. But I wonder if that would void your warranty.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #59
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Try this: Home Screen --> Settings --> SD Card & Device Storage --> Unmount SD card

Then do a reboot. Maybe it just needs a clean unmount and remount of the SD card (internal and/or external).
Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #60
Roos
Groupie

Hi, feeling like a total noob atm ;-) Added some apps, most worked, installed Kindle app, but alas no epub, so away with it, ended with some other alternative, kinda like it, BUT..
(yeah you where waiting for that eh?)
How the peep do i add books (epub) to the main reader?? I transferred one with dropbox, copy paste it to the other reader (A-something) it just worked, also C/P it to pocketbook 701/books, no joy :-(
using library to browse folder with book, it does not see it?? checked with filemanager it is there..
Confusing! And i try to get rid of the ad-ware filemanager, but settings>manage apps does not show it? So how to get to it?
BTW after stopping all animations in settings, the system seems to be a lot more responsive ;-)