Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #31
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
So, how is it for a cheap reader? It seems nice to me since it can properly support PDFs, unlike the cheaper eInk devices, and having Android for me to dabble is nice since (good) smartphones aren't affordable.
Honestly, I haven't had a chance to try it as a reader. I have tomorrow off from work and I plan on putting the IQ through its paces regarding ebooks and PDFs. I should amend my initial web browser review. It is slow, but only on some sites. It's slow on MobileRead, but fast on DrudgeReport. The speed must depend on the amount of coding on the webpage and the number of pictures and javascripts. It is the default Android browser, so it may be significantly faster with Opera Mini, which I will install and try tomorrow.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's a very nice reader. I've been using Aldiko, Kindle, and eReader. Aldiko wins out because you can turn pages with the volume button.

The included Reader app needs work.

Opera mini is great and make sure you're loading the mobile sites.

I use Astro File Manager (the paid version) that I sideloaded from my Droid. What I really like about Astro is that you can use it to easily back up your apps.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #33
jmartcougar
jmartcougar began at the beginning.

Device: nook
what is the battery life like?
jmartcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Speaking of battery life...

If you 'suspend' the tablet, does it continue to consume battery? On my PB360, I use the "save the last page" trick so that I can turn it off and then back on again and start reading right away, as 'sleeping' in the PB360 continued to use battery (much more battery than I think it should have, IMHO).

So, does the IQ drain its battery while it's "sleeping", too? Is there a similar "trick" (like we use for the PB360) needed, and available, to make the IQ last a reasonable length of time? Or can you shut it all the way down and then start it back up and it is ready to read (or use in any other way) nearly instantly?

Thanks!
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #35
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
I should amend my initial web browser review. It is slow, but only on some sites. It's slow on MobileRead, but fast on DrudgeReport. The speed must depend on the amount of coding on the webpage and the number of pictures and javascripts. It is the default Android browser, so it may be significantly faster with Opera Mini, which I will install and try tomorrow.
Opera Mini is a good one to try. Also, you might take a look at Dolphin Browser or Skyfire. I would not recommend Fennec (Mobile Firefox) at this moment since it seems to be the slowest alternative mobile browser for Android so far.

However, do not forget Android 2.0 do not support Flash... only 2.2 does.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Battery life seems good so far as long as you remember to suspend the device. I charged it up 30 hours ago, read for an hour last night and it's still showing 100% battery.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #37
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
self help: just deinstall AFM and install this one:

http://www.androidfreeware.net/get-file-manager.html

Sorry for the problem
I just got home and turned on my IQ to download that. However, the IQ says "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space." How can that be? I connected my IQ to my PC and it says there's well over 1.5 GB free on the IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
It's a very nice reader. I've been using Aldiko, Kindle, and eReader. Aldiko wins out because you can turn pages with the volume button.

The included Reader app needs work.

Opera mini is great and make sure you're loading the mobile sites.

I use Astro File Manager (the paid version) that I sideloaded from my Droid. What I really like about Astro is that you can use it to easily back up your apps.
Yes, the included reader does need work. I opened one epub, then went back to open another. I pressed the second epub and the reader instead loaded the first epub I read. I'll check out Aldiko. I'm trying to find a way to install Opera Mini now, not having any luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
Speaking of battery life...

If you 'suspend' the tablet, does it continue to consume battery? On my PB360, I use the "save the last page" trick so that I can turn it off and then back on again and start reading right away, as 'sleeping' in the PB360 continued to use battery (much more battery than I think it should have, IMHO).

So, does the IQ drain its battery while it's "sleeping", too? Is there a similar "trick" (like we use for the PB360) needed, and available, to make the IQ last a reasonable length of time? Or can you shut it all the way down and then start it back up and it is ready to read (or use in any other way) nearly instantly?

Thanks!
There is no suspend, unfortunately. As best I can tell there is only "screen off" and shutdown. There's nothing in between. And yes, when the screen is turned off, it does use battery. Not sure how much, but it uses it a little.

Startup takes 1 minute 10 seconds from the time you press the power button to the point you're presented with a usable "desktop". This time includes the very long 31 second nag screen that tells you to visit PocketBook-int.com to download updates. Please get rid of this, PB. The 1:10 also includes the time it takes to skip the Registration screen. (Registration does not work, I tried it. Sent an email to Bookland, hopefully they can assist me.) Shutdown takes about 10 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Opera Mini is a good one to try. Also, you might take a look at Dolphin Browser or Skyfire. I would not recommend Fennec (Mobile Firefox) at this moment since it seems to be the slowest alternative mobile browser for Android so far.

However, do not forget Android 2.0 do not support Flash... only 2.2 does.
I will definitely try Dolphin and Fennec if I can ever figure out how to install an app. Right, I know there's no Flash until 2.2, thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #38
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

Yes, the included reader does need work. I opened one epub, then went back to open another. I pressed the second epub and the reader instead loaded the first epub I read. I'll check out Aldiko. I'm trying to find a way to install Opera Mini now, not having any luck.
Navigate to any book file in the Library. instead of just touching the title to open it press and hold. A box will pop up choose "Open". After that any book should open on the first press. Strange glitch that seems to be fixed after just the one press and hold open.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #39
mouso
mouso began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone used the IQ with Adobe protected library books? I am planning to order it in the next few days but want to be sure the reader works with them!
Thanks
mouso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Navigate to any book file in the Library. instead of just touching the title to open it press and hold. A box will pop up choose "Open". After that any book should open on the first press. Strange glitch that seems to be fixed after just the one press and hold open.
I just tried that, thank you. It seemed to work for some books, but not others. It's inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Has anyone used the IQ with Adobe protected library books? I am planning to order it in the next few days but want to be sure the reader works with them!
Thanks
Sorry, I have not tried that. I don't have and will never have any DRM'd books.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

mtravellerh, I got that file manager installed. I ended up downloading it to my PC then transferring it to the IQ. However, it's also adware. I wonder if there are any file managers out there that are not ad-supported? Also, how can I remove the Android File Manager (the one with Chinese adware)? I looked in Settings-->Applications but it's not listed there.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #42
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
I just got home and turned on my IQ to download that. However, the IQ says "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space." How can that be? I connected my IQ to my PC and it says there's well over 1.5 GB free on the IQ.

I will definitely try Dolphin and Fennec if I can ever figure out how to install an app. Right, I know there's no Flash until 2.2, thanks for the reminder.
Do you have an SD card inserted? Maybe it wants to put it on there? I do not know how the IQ handles apps but for some tablets, they have to go on the SD card. Just an idea worth trying.

And you're welcome for the reminder. I have heard you could have partial Flash support with something called Flash Lite but it is very limited. I will able to test that out soon since I have ordered my IQ today! Canèt wait to try it out.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
speedtouch: I think I can tell what the problem is about the "lack of free space". The device has a Flash memory part which contains the essential software and some free space, and an internal SD card which is where most of the storage capacity lies. The Android version that the device uses is, so to speak, "blind" to that internal SD card, therefore it will save the applications only in the Flash memory, which will get full quite quickly. It is already been mentioned in the German forum because someone saw the problem just today.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
Just got mine today. I also have the Sony PRS-700 ( not the best screen ) but so far I like it as an Ereader compared to the Sony. I have been using the Alkido and fbreader.

I don't have the udpated firmware so a bunch of aps don't work but it seems to do everything you would want along with reading. The battery lasted 6 hours straight out of the box. I am new to Android but so far it has been challenging but fun learning what it can do.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #45
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Do you have an SD card inserted? Maybe it wants to put it on there? I do not know how the IQ handles apps but for some tablets, they have to go on the SD card. Just an idea worth trying.

And you're welcome for the reminder. I have heard you could have partial Flash support with something called Flash Lite but it is very limited. I will able to test that out soon since I have ordered my IQ today! Canèt wait to try it out.
No, I don't have an SD card in it at this time. Keep us informed on your IQ experiences! I have so much to learn about Android. Sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
speedtouch: I think I can tell what the problem is about the "lack of free space". The device has a Flash memory part which contains the essential software and some free space, and an internal SD card which is where most of the storage capacity lies. The Android version that the device uses is, so to speak, "blind" to that internal SD card, therefore it will save the applications only in the Flash memory, which will get full quite quickly. It is already been mentioned in the German forum because someone saw the problem just today.
Ahh, now that makes perfect sense. I can understand that. So, I guess we can only hope that the next firmware makes the OS aware of the internal 2GB SD card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Just got mine today. I also have the Sony PRS-700 ( not the best screen ) but so far I like it as an Ereader compared to the Sony. I have been using the Alkido and fbreader.

I don't have the udpated firmware so a bunch of aps don't work but it seems to do everything you would want along with reading. The battery lasted 6 hours straight out of the box. I am new to Android but so far it has been challenging but fun learning what it can do.
I still need to get Aldiko for my IQ. I forgot to get that one. You have the pre-Nov. 20 firmware? Did your seller give you instructions on how to update it to the Nov. 20 retail firmware? I got about 5 hours out of my IQ. I used the wifi a lot, so I think that drained it faster than it would be as just a reader only.

One thing I did find out, the SlideME Application Manager 4.0 does not work on the IQ. I don't know if it's because we're running Android 2.0 or if it's a hardware issue. But the SAM 3.5 that's already on the IQ appears to work...though I have not gotten it to install an app yet.

I know what you mean. Challenging. I thought this thing was going to be easy peazy. Nope! Have you tried to register your IQ yet?