Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #31
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Solved (firmware patch)

This problem was indeed caused by the epub reader setting the line height in em units. I have found a patch that fixes the problem by making the epub reader use a unitless line height, the same way the kepub reader does.

I've attached a test epub that demonstrates the problem, and screenshots showing the epub at the same line spacing setting without and with the patch.

(See these threads in the developer's forum for patching firmware 3.1.1 and firmware 3.2.0.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	without-patch.png
Views:	609
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	121837   Click image for larger version

Name:	with-patch.png
Views:	576
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	121838  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test_book.epub (2.0 KB, 987 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-18-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Attached test epub and screenshots
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #32
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice find.
I learned using line-height:normal in a css also fixes this problem for regular epubs.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #33
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Should this patch replace the original patch_name = `My line spacing values` patch?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #34
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Should this patch replace the original patch_name = `My line spacing values` patch?
No, this patch is unrelated to the line spacing values patch, you can use them both together, or you can use either one on its own.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #35
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
No, this patch is unrelated to the line spacing values patch, you can use them both together, or you can use either one on its own.
Thanks. Am about to try it.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #36
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
This problem was indeed caused by the epub reader setting the line height in em units. I have found a patch that fixes the problem by making the epub reader use a unitless line height, the same way the kepub reader does.
so hopefully you knoe the answer to this & I can save some testng.

I know that in css, line height can be unitless e.g. 1.2 or can be in ems : 1.2em or can be % e.g. 120%

I have been zapping ALL variants so that my Kobo aura HD sliders will work, but do I really only need to zap some of those options from book CSS ?

I get a sense from this thread that leaving unitless ones in wil not stop the sliders from working ?

is it also the case that sideloaded epub and sideloaded "kepub" via the plug-in will behave identically, for line spacing controls/over-rides ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote