Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
What about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/TsuiWah-Horiz...ateway&sr=8-20
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I LOVE IT! But it doesn't ship to the UK. I tried to find in on Amazon UK, but it's out of stock, then did a google search. I could purchase the Elephant version from India but that might be a bit dodgy.

I tried putting the kindle in the other case upside down, but then can't access the ports, which I use regularly to sideload books etc.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe a cover described as "universal" would work. The elastic corner straps mean the Paperwhite could be either side up, or changed as needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-A....c100005.m1851
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Will read the entire thread, but at the moment am considering something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NB9G1...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Have several of these listed, but this one appeals because of the (to me) pretty colour. Am hoping to use it with the PW2 in its cover. Has anyone had experience with one? What did you think? Finding it when needed might be an annoyance, but I'll put it in my reader accessories bag.

Would love some feedback about these please.
Works well for me but it may not work with thicker cases. I read in portrait and it's pretty stable even then despite being quite lightweight.

I got the 2-pack from Amazon and leave one at home (kitchen) and one in the office.
https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Cellphon...dp/B00ID1IL4U/

Will probably grab the 4-pack to distribute in my purses/tech bag.
https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Cellphon...dp/B07B8CRMMS/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	602D80EB-BA37-4661-B8C9-4BFA4E621A56.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	171711  
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The seller's of the kindle cover I've been complaining about really don't know anything about ereaders:

"Thank you for your email. There is no upside down in the full text of you choise item, the picture and text of the item you choice indicates that it is flipped left and right, please check it then. Because you say that "I wanted to be able to prop up my paperwhite in landscape", let us think that you want a upside down cover, and you order a wrong cover for your kindle paperwhite, so we recommend that you reorder the cover that is upside down, and we will offer you a 50% discount.
We apologize if we misunderstand what you mean. The profit of all the kindle paperwhite cases in our store is only 15%. We also hope to provide you with a 50% discount. You can get your favorite products and reduce our losses. We are appreciating to provide the better products and service on Amazon, your opinion is very important to our products and service's improvement. Thank you for your supporting and understanding."

So I sent them a mini-lecture on the issue (was feeling exasperated and stubborn, I hate dealing with tradesmen etc who don't know their own jobs!)

"You totally misunderstand what a Kindle Paperwhite can do. If you have one, go into the font settings (Aa in the menu bar), then click the Page tab. In there you will see options for Spacing, Margins, Orientation and Alignment. Go to the Orientation choices and chose the landscape image - the one which looks more horizontal. This immediately makes the text go into a landscape mode - the reader needs to be turned in order to read it.
However, it will only turn one way - with the top line of text on the left hand side of the reader and the bottom line of text on the right hand side of the reader. Kindle Paperwhites CANNOT turn the text into landscape mode where the top line is at the right, just like it can't turn the text in portrait mode so that the first line is at the bottom.

I believe that the Kindle Oasis can do this, as can jailbroken kindles, but not many people jailbreak their readers.

Before you sell ereader covers please learn how the ereaders work.

The landscape mode which I've detailed above, with the first line of text on the left hand side of the kindle's screen, means that your cases display the text upside down. This is like looking at a paperback held upside down.

You are selling your covers as able to properly stand the reader in landscape mode. They can't. When the kindle has been put into landscape (details above) your cases show the text as though holding a paperback the wrong way round.

I bought this cover in order to stand the reader, as in the pictures. Often I wish to read when my hands are busy holding sandwiches or tea. I prefer to read in landscape mode. I saw your covers when looking for a cover which would do this. It doesn't.
If I put the kindle in the cover upside down I can't access the ports.

You designed this reader without knowing how an ereader works.
Therefore, I'm entitled to a full refund.

When the official minimun delivery date has passed (June 4th) I will open a complaint with Amazon.

I hope you can sort this out before then."

I know I repeat myself in this, but felt I just wasn't getting through to them, unless they're being deliberately obtuse.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-30-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #21
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Maybe a cover described as "universal" would work. The elastic corner straps mean the Paperwhite could be either side up, or changed as needed.

It works and seems to open the correct way, but isn't as pretty as the other. Thank you for these recommendations. How are you managing to find them? Perhaps my search terms could be better.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

I do wonder why they’re advertising this for the Kindle. The small one looks it’ll fit Kobo Aura One, iPad mini, Fire HD7, etc. but it still looks too big for 6” ereaders.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #23
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do wonder why they’re advertising this for the Kindle. The small one looks it’ll fit Kobo Aura One, iPad mini, Fire HD7, etc. but it still looks too big for 6” ereaders.
I thought there were measurements given on the product page.
The small cover fits:
Smallest Size Device: 17cm Long (High) x 9cm Wide x 6mm Thick
Maximum Size Device: 21cm Long (High) x 14cm Wide x 12mm Thick

The 2nd gen Paperwhite is 16.9cm x 11.7cm x 9.1mm thick

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-30-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J

I bought the small pink one from ebay. It's a bit industrial looking, but I'll try to pretty it up with some cat stickers.

And fight the good fight with the Amazon seller!

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I bought the small pink one from ebay. It's a bit industrial looking, but I'll try to pretty it up with some cat stickers.

And fight the good fight with the Amazon seller!

Thanks everyone.
I actually remember a discussion on the old Amazon Kindle forum about the same thing. The newer models only rotate 90 degrees in one direction.

I think, but no longer have an old K2 or Basic to check, that they could be rotated either way for landscape, so any propping cover would work.

Covers like the one you have without a swivel, just won't work. Which is why you don't see them much anymore. But I think it is mostly ignorance on the seller's part, not intentional lying or fraud. I doubt they will fully understand your lengthy email, since it seems obvious that English isn't their native language.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-30-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 AM   #26
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I hope you are able to at least return and receive a refund for the cover that didn't work as it needed to!

For my Kobo Aura, I find myself just using a plastic foldable "phone/tablet" stand that I bought from a dollar store awhile back... Having said that, now I haven't seen them around anywhere for awhile. Maybe they all got bought up by eReader owners wanting to read in landscape mode.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM   #27
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I hope you are able to at least return and receive a refund for the cover that didn't work as it needed to!

For my Kobo Aura, I find myself just using a plastic foldable "phone/tablet" stand that I bought from a dollar store awhile back... Having said that, now I haven't seen them around anywhere for awhile. Maybe they all got bought up by eReader owners wanting to read in landscape mode.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Yey! I've got the refund. And the company have learned something!

"According to your steps, we used kindle paperwhite 3 to operate, and we understanded what you mean. We have reflected this problem to our supplier and will improve product performance for more customers. In order to allow customers to read when the product is standing, so we launched the product that was recommended for you in our store.
By the way, There is no product on the market that can satisfy the horizontal screen mode of Kindle paperwhite, which is the limitation of kindle paperwhite. We are so sorry for the inconvenience, we will arrange to refund to you. If interested, We can provide a upside down flip for free to experience. Thank you for your detailed answer.
Have a nice day."

Not sure what they mean about providing an upside down flip for free. What's 'an upside down flip'? Sounds like what I already have.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A case that stands horizontally the other way around would be my guess.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #30
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A case that stands horizontally the other way around would be my guess.
I've told them that I'm interested and asked if they want me to return the other case. The original case has a very pretty design, just a shame it doesn't work. I've noticed that they still appear to be selling it. Oh dear!

Tags
case, landscape mode, pw2, stand