Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Custom Font Issue

After spending hours looking for a condensed font with round a's and g's (the ones that look like balloons with sticks or strings), I settled on Futura Condensed.

Fortunately, the zip folder contained the regular, italic, bold and italic bold versions. I unzipped, then put the individual font styles into the font folder on the kindle, as per normal. However, all the styles show when I'm choosing a font when using the reader. This isn't normal; usually only the main font name shows. I think this means they're acting like different fonts.

It irritates if things which should be in italic don't show in italic. This has happened with other fonts.

I've tried with a page I know has a couple of words in italics; everything shows as regular.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks lots in anticipation.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-14-2019 at 09:26 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
After spending hours looking for a condensed font with round a's and g's (the ones that look like balloons with sticks or strings), I settled on Futura Condensed.

Fortunately, the zip folder contained the regular, italic, bold and italic bold versions. I unzipped, then put the individual font styles into the font folder on the kindle, as per normal. However, all the styles show when I'm choosing a font when using the reader. This isn't normal; usually only the main font name shows. I think this means they're acting like different fonts.

It irritates if things which should be in italic don't show in italic. This has happened with other fonts.

I've tried with a page I know has a couple of words in italics; everything shows as regular.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks lots in anticipation.
I think you are correct that Kindle is not seeing these as a single font family. I think you’d need to use a font tool of some sort to fix this.

It is not something I’ve been motivated to do: I just try a different font, there are so many available that work as is, for example at fonts.google.com.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone knows of fonts with the kind of a and g I mean (Futura has them) please recommend. Narrow fonts prefered so that I can see more words in a single fixation.
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Unfortunately not narrow. https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Poppins
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Sol Arkite
Connoisseur
Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How about:
https://www.fontsc.com/font/urkelian
https://www.fontspace.com/nicks-fonts/bittersweet
https://www.1001fonts.com/typo-longest-font.html
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of them have the incorrect small "a" and "g".
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Sol Arkite
Connoisseur
Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
All of them have the incorrect small "a" and "g".
I thought “typo-longest” was sticks with balloons.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Sol: Thanks for trying to help, but the a is wrong, it curls back on itself like @
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
bm.brooks
bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.bm.brooks is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Sony PRS-500;Sony PRS-505;Sony PRS-T1; Inkbook Prime
Unfortunately, only the Medium weight is free. It will be hard to tell if the 4 weights would have the same problem as Futura Condensed or not
https://www.behance.net/gallery/4854...-Nova-Typeface

On http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html check out the Universalis font. Not quite as bold as Futura but might work for you.
bm.brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm.brooks View Post
On http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html check out the Universalis font. Not quite as bold as Futura but might work for you.
Universalis looks really nice and what BookCat is looking for. The boldness should not be a problem as the Kindle allows to add extra weight.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
I ran into the same thing with DejaVu Serif E-Ink font on my Tolino. It turned out that instead of "Regular" my regular font was reading "Book" (internally). Mr.Moe told me how to fix the problem by downloading fonttools and using ttx to save the font in such a way that it can be edited and then run ttx to "remake" (compile?) the ttf font. Worked like a champ for the Tolino. If you want more information look in the LCP Certification thread in the Tolino forum. Looks like fonttools is a Python application, so you should be able to run it in Linux, Windows or on a Mac.

If you want, I can take a look at the font if you'll give me download link (assuming it's a free download).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm.brooks View Post
Unfortunately, only the Medium weight is free. It will be hard to tell if the 4 weights would have the same problem as Futura Condensed or not
https://www.behance.net/gallery/4854...-Nova-Typeface

Thank you for the suggestions. I've downloaded the fonts, but haven't yet put them on my kindle. The Universalis looks most appealing and I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I ran into the same thing with DejaVu Serif E-Ink font on my Tolino. It turned out that instead of "Regular" my regular font was reading "Book" (internally). Mr.Moe told me how to fix the problem by downloading fonttools and using ttx to save the font in such a way that it can be edited and then run ttx to "remake" (compile?) the ttf font. Worked like a champ for the Tolino. If you want more information look in the LCP Certification thread in the Tolino forum. Looks like fonttools is a Python application, so you should be able to run it in Linux, Windows or on a Mac.

If you want, I can take a look at the font if you'll give me download link (assuming it's a free download).
Thank you. Sirtel has offered to do this if I can work out how to attach the font to an email.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Thank you. Sirtel has offered to do this if I can work out how to attach the font to an email.
Okay. Sorry. I'll try doing a search to see if I can find where to download it and (at least) see if I can get it working on my Kindle. If so, I'll report back.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. Sorry. I'll try doing a search to see if I can find where to download it and (at least) see if I can get it working on my Kindle. If so, I'll report back.
Thanks again. Everyone is so nice on here.

Tags
fonts, styles