Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #31
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
You may be right. I always think of the color Midnight as in Midnight Blue.

Fabric covers are available in Charcoal, Indigo, and Sandstone. The Charcoal looks nice and saves $15.00.

EDIT

I just noticed from your post and confirmed online that the US site calls it Midnight and the UK site calls it Midnight Black.
The Midnight one on the US site sure looks black to me. I hope that's what it is... it's also hard to tell from the photos but looks like the black one might finally be a nice leather rather than the plasticy stuff they've used for that before.

Could you post a link to the fabric cover you found? I am having a hard time finding it on their site.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #32
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I need to wait for John Lewis, I want a two year warranty but don't want to pay £53 for it. Plus by then the third party covers might be listed.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #33
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
The Midnight one on the US site sure looks black to me. I hope that's what it is... it's also hard to tell from the photos but looks like the black one might finally be a nice leather rather than the plasticy stuff they've used for that before.

Could you post a link to the fabric cover you found? I am having a hard time finding it on their site.
The link is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X8ZNZKT...KT_productInfo

I think I'll go with the leather Midnight cover. I purchased the black leather case for my PW1, which I now use with my PW3, and it still looks like new.

Last edited by kaibob; 10-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Beggars can't be choosy but I wish it was an 8 inch screen. I hope display models will be available at BM stores. I'll have to see if a 7 is worth paying $250 when it's only an inch difference to my PW.

I only really care about the screen size. All the other features are nice to have but not enough to get me to part with $250.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Beggars can't be choosy but I wish it was an 8 inch screen.
Lighting is the issue. The larger the screen, the less well the light diffuser works. I don't expect the frontlight on the 7" to be as good as that of the 6", for that reason, but an 8" would definitely be a lot worse. I know of no 8" devices with good frontlighting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #36
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Does anyone have an idea about how the lighting compares to the previous Oasis? I understand the larger screen could be a problem. Amazon is saying the new version has 12 LEDs + adaptive light sensor. I can't find what the "old" Oasis had in terms of LEDS.
Thanks in advance.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The device is intriguing to me for several reasons. Waterproof, 8 gb storage, and audio. The audio interests me only if it can do TTS, which I don't think is known, yet.

I do worry about the fragility...with one side being so thin.

I like the cloth cover, as it is water resistant. I don't know why people buy the leather case for a waterproof device. Wouldn't they want the water resistant case?

My birthday is not til March, so I have plenty of time to find out about TTS and fragility, before I decide whether to get one or not.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #38
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Does anyone have an idea about how the lighting compares to the previous Oasis? I understand the larger screen could be a problem. Amazon is saying the new version has 12 LEDs + adaptive light sensor. I can't find what the "old" Oasis had in terms of LEDS.
Thanks in advance.
Kindle Oasis featured 10 LED lights according to this review https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-oasis-2016/
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #39
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
On the product page - Kindle Oasis also includes the ability to Invert Black and White,

Hope you are prepared to wait years for a jailbreak!
Cool. Seems like any kindle should be able to do it. Maybe that'll come with a new f/w.

Re jailbreaking alas it seems all the devs have moved on and only knc1 is left manning the help desk. I really need it for the custom font because the default ones are too light (and the bold one is too bold and ugly). And reducing the margins. I can't do serial.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

Re jailbreaking alas it seems all the devs have moved on and only knc1 is left manning the help desk. I really need it for the custom font because the default ones are too light (and the bold one is too bold and ugly). And reducing the margins. I can't do serial.
Yes but there will now be 5 levels of bold, so presumably that will be a benefit.

*My Voyage is jailbreaked with custom fonts and screen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #41
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The firmware coming today for newer Kindle models should help with font boldness. From the press release:

Quote:
New Font Size and Bold Settings: Now choose from more font sizes than ever before—and five levels of boldness—for whichever font you choose to read with. ... Starting today, the new size and bold settings as well as ragged right alignment will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 6 released in 2013), plus all newer Kindle devices.
Edit: Ninja'd
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #42
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Looks like firmware updates with new features are also on the way for some current Kindle owners:

Added: It looks like the new firmware coming today is version 5.8.11.

More font sizes is LONG overdue ... now to hope they are usable font sizes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #43
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Kindle Oasis featured 10 LED lights according to this review https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-oasis-2016/
according to https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XDK92KS the new version has 12 leds, and it will be available in Italy starting oct.31 for 249€ (8gb) or 279€ (32gb)
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #44
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Looks like firmware updates with new features are also on the way for some current Kindle owners:

Added: It looks like the new firmware coming today is version 5.8.11.
I actually really enjoy reading on my Oasis without the cover, because it is so light. So I’m going to hold onto it. It seems likely that the new Oasis will probably be heavier.

I don’t need a waterproof reader, or for it to read to me. But, I would like the new feature of more, bolder fonts. So I do hope that it will be available in the update for the older Oasis. Right now the only font I find comfortable using is the ember bold.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #45
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats2books View Post
I actually really enjoy reading on my Oasis without the cover, because it is so light. So I’m going to hold onto it. It seems likely that the new Oasis will probably be heavier.
Old device:
Wi-Fi: 131/238 g; Wi-Fi + 3G: 133/240 g
Weight without cover / with cover

New device: 194 grams

I am very tempted!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote