Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #31
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Be advised that IOS 11 will not run 32-bit apps. I have ten 32-bit apps with my ipad. I will hold on to IOS 10 until the developers upgrade the apps to 64-bit.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Be advised that IOS 11 will not run 32-bit apps. I have ten 32-bit apps with my ipad. I will hold on to IOS 10 until the developers upgrade the apps to 64-bit.
So that is what the warning message is all about. Aside from that message is there any way to tell a 32 bit app?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So that is what the warning message is all about. Aside from that message is there any way to tell a 32 bit app?

Dale
Go to "Settings /General / About / Applications" and it'll tell you which apps are incompatible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #34
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
No clue how to tell which apps are 32bit vs 64bit, but yes I think this is why Apple has been very proactive in the past few months telling us that some apps have not been updated in a very long time and might not work correctly. The way I look at it, many, perhaps most, of those apps will be abandon-ware or apps written in a garage or basement and not well maintained. The professionally designed apps, the ones I use the most, should be better maintained and ready for iOS 11. Fortunately, for those of us who will not beta test, we still have until early Autumn before iOS 11 is released. I tend to wait a few weeks afterwards to give them time to exorcise the gremlins first! That should be plenty of time for the developers to get their old and not well maintained apps updated. If they don't, then I really don't think I would want to run their abandon-ware any more. I really cannot think of any old apps like that I want to keep. They were so poorly maintained, or out right abandoned, so I have long since stopped using them opting for better and more up to date alternatives.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go to "Settings /General / About / Applications" and it'll tell you which apps are incompatible.
Wow am I in trouble. I have lots of apps in this list. Even Google Earth is in this list. Looks like at some point I may have to drag out my iPad 2 if 11.0 is forced on me.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #36
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only have two:
  • MyConvert
  • Google Earth

I'm sure Google Earth will get updated, but even if it doesn't it is no big deal as the other map apps all have satellite views, including Google Maps. I don't even remember the last time I used Google Earth, it has been a long time. The myConvert app is an old math conversion app. There are tons of these available.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #37
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Another thing is that IOS 11 still doesn't take full advantage of the bigger 12.9" screen size. At least not from what I can see from the demo and the ads. Whether you have iPad 9.7", 10.5" or 12.9", you still get 5 apps icons horizontally and 4 icons vertically. Why can't Apple squeeze more icons or the like with the bigger screen? I am sure it's not very hard for them to do.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 06-13-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:31 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Wow am I in trouble. I have lots of apps in this list. Even Google Earth is in this list. Looks like at some point I may have to drag out my iPad 2 if 11.0 is forced on me.

Dale
Fortunately I only have one: a pretty old weather app, so no problem for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
So are developers going to have to maintain a 43-bit and a 64-bit version of their apps and can one app be made that works in both situations?

Has Apple really screwed things up?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:44 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So are developers going to have to maintain a 43-bit and a 64-bit version of their apps and can one app be made that works in both situations?

Has Apple really screwed things up?
No, developers should no longer have 32-bit versions of their apps. They've been told this for several years - certainly not down to a lack of sufficient notice to make the change.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, developers should no longer have 32-bit versions of their apps. They've been told this for several years - certainly not down to a lack of sufficient notice to make the change.
So those with iOS 10 device are screwed. That's not a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So those with iOS 10 device are screwed. That's not a good idea.
Jon, I don't mean to be impolite, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

iOS 10 runs both 32-bit and 64-bit apps. People with an iOS 10 device will not be "screwed", as you so delicately express it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #43
jswinden
Gone Fishing

Apple has been warning developers to get their apps updated for a VERY long time now. Apple has been very proactive about cleaning up the abandon-ware and what not. If developers do not have the resources to make the updates, or simply do not want to, then good riddance IMO. Way too many apps are developed in someone's basement, thrown out without much, or any, professional upkeep, often even abandoned. There are so many alternatives to most of the apps that finding a better replacement shouldn't be an issue in most cases.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Apple has been warning developers to get their apps updated for a VERY long time now.
Since 2013, in fact. Four years really should be long enough.

As of now, 32-bit apps are no longer being listed in the AppStore, although they'll continue to be available to those who already have them.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #45
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Google Earth will get an update (read this somewhere).

Of the three 32 bit apps I still have installed, that's the only one I expect to get an update. It has been more than 2 or 3 years since the others have had an update.

The one I may miss is Dragon Dictation. Nuance has a subscription based app (Dragon Anywhere) but I don't need it enough to pay for a subscription. I don't know of another voice transcription app (apart from the ones which are just front-ends for human transcription).

The other one is basically a PDF in an app wrapper. I have a physical copy of the 1200 page book, which apart from weighing about 5 pounds is vastly more functional. And I'll probably never have time or interest to read much of it, so I won't miss it much.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote