Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
Siavahda
Enthusiast
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Exclamation Mobi files sent to Kindle, then disappear

I used Calibre to send two mobi files to my Kindle Paperwhite, and the books show up when I disconnect my Kindle. But after a few minutes, hours, or overnight (I have been trying to solve this on my own for almost a week) the two books vanish. Calibre still insists they are present on the device, and if I open up the directory, the files are definitely there, but the Kindle itself keeps vanishing them.

They don't vanish if I convert the mobi files to azw3, but for formatting reasons I don't want to do that unless I really have to. Also, in azw3 format, the Kindle seems to think the files have no covers, if that's relevant.

The files were originally in ePub format, which I converted to mobi with Calibre. Following advice from other threads, I reconverted the files and then converted mobi-->mobi. I thought this had fixed the problem until the books vanished again this morning. Restarting the Kindle hasn't helped. I have tried deleting all the indexing files for these books before re-sending the files to the device, but that hasn't fixed it either.

Can anyone help? Why does my Kindle keep disappearing these files?

Last edited by Siavahda; 08-11-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Added more details of what I've tried previously
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure that you have the selectors on the library page appropriately set? They should be set to "All" and "Downloaded", respectively.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
Siavahda
Enthusiast
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
I think so. All my books show up when I have it set to 'downloaded' and that is how it is set now; I can see all my other books. When I have 'all' on I can only see those books bought from Amazon.
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
I think so. All my books show up when I have it set to 'downloaded' and that is how it is set now; I can see all my other books. When I have 'all' on I can only see those books bought from Amazon.
It should set to "downloaded" in the far left dropdown, then "all items" in the middle column. Take a look at the attachment for a visual explanation.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Downloaded.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	150892  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
[ I'll comment that I had books disappear when I retitled them in Calibre (adding series prefix). It *seemed* to be because that title conflicted with the title registered in Amazon's Collections (I had previously put the original book into a Collection). The only way I managed to stop them from disappearing was to stop renaming them, and leave them with the original title. Not what OP says is being done, but it's another instance of "disappearing books". ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle paperwhite, mobi format