Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #31
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You're welcome. I think you will be very happy this time -- the display is really, really nice.
I'm feeling more and more positive! I can't wait for tomorrow, assuming mine arrives on time. Mine still says shipping soon.. actually I just checked and it's now been changed to preparing for shipment. Yahoo!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
here is a comparison photo of both paperwhites in the dark at brightness setting 22. paperwhite 2 on left and paperwhite 1 on rightClick image for larger version

Name:	paperwhite compare.jpg
Views:	2253
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	112458
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2246 View Post
here is a comparison photo of both paperwhites in the dark at brightness setting 22. paperwhite 2 on left and paperwhite 1 on rightAttachment 112458
Fantastic! Thank you! I am so glad I ordered one, my PW1 looks like your PW1.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
here is a comparison photo of both paperwhites in the dark at brightness setting 22. paperwhite 2 on left and paperwhite 1 on rightAttachment 112458
Awesome, thank you! I think the new PW looks great!!

Seriously though, I just have to say, the PW1 really looks awful in that comparison. What was Amazon thinking??
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
The PW2 is much warmer white than the PW1 it seems.

But boy, is your PW1 bad. My PW1 looks like your PW2, but with the color of the PW1.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

All three of the PW1s I tried looked as bad as his. I sure hope the PW2s are consistently as good as that one seems to be.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #37
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
All three of the PW1s I tried looked as bad as his. I sure hope the PW2s are consistently as good as that one seems to be.
Same here, Jack, and I went through a lot. Only the one I kept looked better, but it still by no means looks as good as the PW2 in the above pic.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #38
Wholesalestunna
Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iPad
Honestly, I don't mind the uneven lighting in my original paperwhite. While it's not perfect it's a hell of a lot better than a book with a book light on it. I'm not convinced it's worth an upgrade yet. Especially if they do a software update for the old Paperwhite to get the Goodreads feature. Thanks for sharing the pics and info!
Wholesalestunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We need photos of screen in low light not in brightly lit room. The light was designed for using in low lit areas. Any Kindle looks good in brightly lit areas.

@sparklemotion, I doubt they will be available in Best Buy before a few weeks from now. BB is notorious for listing items that say "Check in Store" even though they know they don't have them. I checked and there are no stores in my area with them.
Wow.. the KPW2 is superior to the KPW1.. some people try to rationalize why the one they own is the best.. Jeff Bezos does not make the same mistake twice.. LOL.. if you own the KPW1 then I can understand your concerns.. but I would say the KPW2 is the Cats Pajamas.. they (Amazon) figured it out..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #40
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jeff Bezos at Amazon knows what is happening.. I have a friend that works at the headquarters in Seattle.. he said.."the Kindle Paperwhite 1 was a PAIN IN THE ASS" so now they have it right..
Old 09-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #41
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Thank you for the pixs! PW2 looks great!
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #42
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My PW 2012 seemed great to me. When I posted a picture here, many said they saw blotches which I never saw at all.

PW 2013 is supposed to have crisper fonts. That will be a great improvement if true. The picture shown here doesn't seem to show that.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #43
FanciFreez
Banned

[QUOTE=sirmaru;2640830]My PW 2012 seemed great to me. When I posted a picture here, many said they saw blotches which I never saw at all.

PW 2013 is supposed to have crisper fonts. That will be a great improvement if true. The picture shown here doesn't seem to show that.[/QUOTE

JFYI. the KPW2 is great.. the KPW1 no matter what issue you have is not as good.. what are you smoking?

Last edited by FanciFreez; 09-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Ok, home from work. Here are a couple pictures of the new Paperwhite in a totally dark room, with the light turned to maximum eye-searing level.

To my eyes, it looks perfect. There are a couple small smudges at the bottom, near the percentage and page numbers. I point them out only because they are noticeable if you are looking for a nit to pick. I was able to read no problem with my paperwhite v.1, and that looked much, much worse than this one. So, to me, the new paperwhite is what we had all hoped version one would be. Also, I got a chance to check out the feature that lets you jump around in the book without losing your place, or read footnotes. It works wonderfully.

To those who think that this is a merely incremental upgrade, I would suggest that the pictures speak for themselves. And, the speed difference is really apparent. This thing really zips through menus, page changes, etc. Whatever the percentage increase is, it translates vividly towards the actual reading experience.

This is a home run. I was "meh" with the first one, after getting a decent, but not excellent, specimen after a return. I used it a lot, and by day it was great; at night, very good but not excellent. This one is now a five star device. If you couple this with Calibre's ability to convert pubs into Amazon-friendly books, and then use the "Send to Kindle" program, any book can be sent to the paperwhite. The Amazon apps for iOS work really well in keeping everything synched among my paperwhite, Ipad and iPhone. I dumped a Kobo AND a Nook because they could not reliably sync my place in the book. The Kindle is unparalleled in this regard.

Not sure if the new software features will carry over to old paperwhites, but I say that this is well worth an upgrade to anyone who cares about a great user experience. This is a fantastic upgrade, and I'm sure you guys will agree.

Last edited by Wildgift; 09-30-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #45
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Thanks everyone that supplied pictures. The PW2 does look very good. I am glad that I ordered it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote