Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #61
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ok i got the orientation fixed. everything is working fine now
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #62
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
ok i got the orientation fixed. everything is working fine now
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #63
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
From what I understand no tablets have access to the marketplace legitimately. Archos fans have made a home brew solution for the Archos 5 (and I assume they will do the same for the new 7, they are looking forward to playing with it), but none of the tablets/MIDs have the actual google android marketplace, many of their own "marketplace" of the same (though far from all) apps, however (meaning the non-protected apps and free to distribute apps).

Someone correct me if I am wrong, though.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #64
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Does anyone know, what do these devices weigh? I interested in the re branded Eken and the Cruz reader. Thanks
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #65
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Katelyn, looks like your Zenpad gamble may pay off, evidence looks like they are shipping at least 500 of them.
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #66
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Jalandar, do you know the reason behind blocking non-phone devices from the Android Marketplace, even though they are Android devices?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #67
jalandar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Jalandar, do you know the reason behind blocking non-phone devices from the Android Marketplace, even though they are Android devices?
I can't say for certain, but I do know that it is an issue that is expected to be resolved later this year (I imagine the google tablet coming out has something to do with this). Eric Schmidt has confirmed that they are working on this point.

Essentially google has to certify them before they can access the marketplace legitimately.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #68
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I ordered a Haleron-type device directly from China and it is supposed to ship tomorrow. If and when it arrives and I confirm it's the real deal, I'll let you know where I got it. The price was -well, I won't say it here at this time but if I really get it, I'll let you know. It puts the Haleron price to shame. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Hello Katelyn, can you tell us now, where your ordered from. and how much it costs? -Thanks
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #69
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Does anyone know, what do these devices weigh? I interested in the re branded Eken and the Cruz reader. Thanks
12.3 oz or 348 grams.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #70
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Hello Katelyn, can you tell us now, where your ordered from and how much it costs? -Thanks
I paid $90 plus 35 shipping plus $5 Paypal fees. $140 total.

I ordered from Shenzhen Ebenda Technology Co., Ltd. through Alibaba. (Never order from any company that does not take Paypal or credit card.) Their Website is here. I used the chat feature and worked everything out in real time with a CSR who kept in contact with me and even gave me her MSN messenger address to keep in touch.

I wouldn't order one just yet. Maybe the Eken will have some fixes in places for really weird software issues and I'm very frustrated with the loose USB connection. I'll post more tonight or tomorrow.

I will tell you that there is no way this will quality as a decent MID but I may like it as a backlit reader once they get the problems resolved - if they get resolved. It is definitely not e-ink so don't expect that kind of clarity. It is close to the JE100 screen but better. At least Android is FAR better my experience with WinCE 5 I experimented with on the JE100. I don't even want to see WinCE again.

Right now, I'm waiting to hear from them about the screen orientation problem. Everything added to the device is upside down and some apps I've added can't be corrected. It's ever stranger that just upside down, but I'll get to that when I report back.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #71
jalandar
Connoisseur

How is the battery life Katelyn? As bad as the initial reports suggested?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #72
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ive been managing just over 2 hours with the wifi on. after i charge it this time i will test it in airplane mode
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #73
jalandar
Connoisseur

Not too great, hopefully without the wifi it is much longer.

Will patiently await your final verdicts =)
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #74
nonanon
Enthusiast
nonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad, Nook Simple Touch
After reading Slashgear's review I was excited about the Eken, especially since it sells for under $100 in China. But as it costs $140 and has abysmal battery life I'll keep waiting to see if Notion Ink's Adam materializes. It supposedly has great battery life for a 10.1" screen and the e-ink/lcd combo looks interesting.

Meantime, I have an Archos 605, Witstech A81 and Tapwave Zodiac to sell so I can afford to upgrade.
nonanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #75
Katelyn
Addict

My list of problems

OK, so I've had a few days to experiment with this device. Mine is defective for sure. I've been in touch with the folks in China and waiting to hear back about what to do.

1) I cannot use the USB unless I am very careful and not move it when I have USB hooked up. The connector will not lock in and is very loose. When it comes loose, it locks up the device and I have to reset it using the reset hole on the back. Very frustrating.

2) Every Android app I add is upside down. Most can't be configured to rotate so this make it totally unusable.

See the images I piece together. Imagine that this is the screen of my device. Even though the program is upside down, the click-able area is really down toward the bottom of the screen. In this case, if I want to click area A, I have to touch the screen in area B. This is the same problem regardless of whether I am trying to click a menu or play a game I installed. It’s all upside down! Dullin figured this out and explained to me how to fix this for Alkido and FBReader but most apps I added can't be changed. Try playing solitaire like this!

3) The charging connector is also very loose and I have to keep jiggling it to make sure it’s charging. I have to turn the adapter around and around until I get it to just the right spot to charge.

4) Sometimes when the device shuts itself off, it will not start up using the on/off button. I then have to reset it on the back.

5) I tried to reset to factory default to see if that would correct anything but the device does not restore to factory default. It SAYS it is going to but when it starts back up, nothing has changed.

6) Last but not least, some of the books I try to open give an error that there is not enough storage to open the book. I have a 4GB card in the device.

If these problems were fixed, gone, never existed, would I like the device? Hmmm, as a book reader only? Probably not due to the battery life. It's just TOO short for me. If you didn't mind the battery issue, then yea, it would work as a cheapo device to read from in the dark. Remember, this is not e-ink and the quality can't be compared so no need to start that argument here. I'll give up some quality for backlighting for now.

PLUS
It is backlit
Android is
Aldiko is a very nice reading program
Umm, it's backlit

MINUS
Besides being defective?
Battery life is horrible (2 hrs or so)
You can't charge via USB cable
Screen resolution in book reading programs if you need clean, crisp text
No Android Marketplace ( this is true of nearly everything except phones right now)
Red lights emanate through the case - very distracting in the dark

Tags
android, tablet