Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 02:06 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
Well its probably as big as...your thumb nail, no really. It has title author and file type size and whether its been read all on one line (5 books per page)
Less useful (for me personally) than the Kindle's list view, which shows 8 books per page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
KeithDickens
KeithDickens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the feedback...

I've read probably 100 times that simply sideloading through Calibri will get all the covers to work but I think I must be an enigma because the .mobi books I try just don't work. The process I described here was something I discovered after a few days of tweaking settings and seeing what happened. After a lot of trial and error I discovered that if I don't remove the publish date on my sideloaded .mobi files, most of them won't have a cover.

Take it for what it is, just my particular weirdness.
KeithDickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is pretty interesting. I would like to see a sample book that does this!

Do you by any chance have a Public Domain example? Alternatively, a non-PD book that has been edited down to just a few paragraphs or so...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #19
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Very strange I've used Calibre portable for years now moving through Mobi, AZW3 and Epub and all have been fine sideloaded.

Have you tried re-installing or using the portable version of Calibre to see if that helps?
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
soccerchamp24
soccerchamp24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDickens View Post
I've read probably 100 times that simply sideloading through Calibri will get all the covers to work but I think I must be an enigma because the .mobi books I try just don't work. The process I described here was something I discovered after a few days of tweaking settings and seeing what happened. After a lot of trial and error I discovered that if I don't remove the publish date on my sideloaded .mobi files, most of them won't have a cover.

Take it for what it is, just my particular weirdness.

THANK YOU for this advice (even though I know it was pretty much just echoing the advice given in the original post).

Tried everything from dragging and dropping my .mobi files onto my Kindle Voyage to using calibre to transfer them, nothing was showing the covers.

Removed the publishing date from a book and tried again, without making any other changes, and sure enough the cover is now there.
soccerchamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #21
Moonskye
Moonskye began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just received my first Kindle today after using a Sony for 10 years. I was having trouble with this exact issue. I was able to transfer the books to my kindle, no problem, but there were no covers. I like covers so I can see the pictures (just my preference).

I tested inserting the book into Calibre (as I hadn't read all the comments on other suggestions), selected the publishing date to be undefined under "Edit Megadata individually". Then I transferred the book to the device "Send to device." It worked for me and I was able to get all my books over to the device with a cover. Thank you. I am sure other ways work, but since this method worked for me I didn't need to read further.
Moonskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have this issue on my kindle oasis on any book. I find just deleting it off the device then redownloading it sometimes helps. I do not know what calibre is
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I need list mode for series (I use Calibre to put them in), but I also choose books by their cover, so use cover view on other ereaders.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #24
hopla
hopla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Here is something weird - the cover transferred from Calibre does show in the home view, but when going into Library grid view, it just doesnt. The book is recognised as a book and not as a personal document. Did anybody experience this?
hopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I have the same problem as the OP with several books and covers not showing up when using Calibre. I have found that if I bulk send to the device instead of sending individually, it almost always leaves a blank cover as well.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 AM   #26
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Less useful (for me personally) than the Kindle's list view, which shows 8 books per page.
Cover view actually shows 8 books per page on the 6" Kobos. You get the cover, the reading status, and the option to access the book menu for additional info. When @oblox is referring to is the 'standard' view, which still shows covers, plus the author name, title, series etc. There is no true list view, which I'm sure can be a drawback for some people.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 AM   #27
marcinbzq
marcinbzq began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw 10
I wonder if you had a similar problem to mine:

For some reason, I managed to get the covers working on iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) but they don't show up on my Kindle PW4.

this is the workflow I use now:
- addind IDS metadata
- convert from epub to mobi using calibre: using the "both" mobi format
- send the .mobi file via email to any device
- the book shows up on all devices, but the kindle pw4 doesn't show the cover art

what didn't help:
- resizing the cover art
- changing the Personal Doc tag in the Mobi Output options
- sideloading to PW4 with calibre solves the cover art problem, but the book doesn't sync with the iOS devices. I want them to sync, as I use both an iPad and the kindle for reading.

What do you guys think could solve this problem?
marcinbzq is offline   Reply With Quote