Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
mike26
mike26 began at the beginning.

Device: fire
calibre-server - cannot start second instance

Running on Ubuntu 18.04.1. According to earlier posts, this should work but seems to be broken in the latest release. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

$ /opt/calibre/calibre-server --version
calibre-server (calibre 3.38.1)

~$ /opt/calibre/calibre-server --port 8080 /home/<user>/Calibre/IT &
[1] 28502
~$ calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:8080

~$ OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.0.110 port: 8080

~$

~$ ps -ef | grep calibre
<user> 28502 24402 0 10:31 pts/0 00:00:01 /opt/calibre/bin/calibre-server --port 8080 /home/sergiu/Calibre/IT
<user> 28569 24402 0 10:36 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto calibre

~$

~$ /opt/calibre/calibre-server --port 8081 /home/<user>/Calibre/Literature/ &
[2] 28522
~$ Another calibre program such as another instance of calibre-server or the main calibre program is running. Having multiple programs that can make changes to a calibre library running at the same time is not supported.

[2]+ Exit 1
mike26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not believe you can start multiple instances of Calibre server any more!

Why do you want to anyway as nowadays a single instance gives access to all your Calibre libraries.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
mike26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

Why do you want to anyway as nowadays a single instance gives access to all your Calibre libraries.
Sorry, I thing I am missing something. How exactly one Calibre server instance can give me access all my Calibre libraries? TIA.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
mike26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike26 View Post
Sorry, I thing I am missing something. How exactly one Calibre server instance can give me access all my Calibre libraries? TIA.
Never mind. Got it. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Yes, I couldn't get it working even by specifying different ports…
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
poxalew
poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW2
Late to the party, I know, but there is a way to start multiple instances: define the environment variable
Code:
CALIBRE_NO_SI_DANGER_DANGER
to anything you like except empty before starting the calibre-server process.

Warning: Here be dragons. Make damn sure you specify distinct library paths etc for the server on the command line, and be extremely careful about accessing the library metadata DB from outside of that server (in the best case, the server will not pick up any changes until it's restarted; in the worst case, you might corrupt it.)
poxalew is offline   Reply With Quote